F Brady Tkachuk (2018, 4th, OTT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
According to you? that is your opinion. According to Mckenzie's 10 scout list and HockeyProspect.com he was BPA at 3. Who should I believe I wonder.

Are you going to believe the people who ranked Crouse above Marner were correct? Besides okay sure you may have an argument for Wahlstrom and Hughes, but anyone who can't see Zadina being far superior to Tkachuk in every facet minus physicality is delusional.

Reactions: Gordie Howe Army

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Are you going to believe the people who ranked Crouse above Marner were correct? Besides okay sure you may have an argument for Wahlstrom and Hughes, but anyone who can't see Zadina being far superior to Tkachuk in every facet minus physicality is delusional.
How about a little thing like speed. And if its so delusional why is Zadina ranked below him by 2 very reputable sources. I have not verified your Crouse claim, but one mistake in 2015 doesn't make them untrustworthy sources especially compared to your personal opinion

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
To be honest it can go either way, and Tkachuk at best is barely faster. Also, Tkachuk has limted offensive upside and the fact people actually questioned Wahlstrom's IQ is more of a red flag against Tkachuk than Wahlstrom as their IQs are too far apart.
He is much faster.. Zadina skating in a straight line looks like he needs picks on his skates and he bends his knee up after pushing almost straight back. He needs a lot of work and it could really hurt him at the start..Sure he can score and lots of ozone starts and pp time could still produce but its going to be an issue. Wahsltrom now.. he's a floater ... that could change but he went to a good spot Barzal can hang on to the puck and feed him so he'll do ok. Wahlstrom is a much better skater than Zadina (straight line).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Ummmm. HockeyProspect loved Mitch Marner as a prospect, having him a clear 3rd for that draft. McKenzie's scouts also had Marner above Crouse.

I'm a Leafs fan, and I love to laugh at Melnyk and the Sens. But, Brady Tkachuk is a great prospect. Let's not act like Zadina is that elite. Is there a good argument for him over Tkachuk, yeah? But, everyone seems to point to Brady's lack of production at BU. Filip Zadina's numbers were not elite for a player in the QMJHL in their draft year. Now, there is some belief that the Q is tougher to score in now, it is still debatable. I don't think either are elite NHLers without the help of a high-end center. Zadina a playmaker, and just a general high-end number 1 for Tkachuk who drives play (I can't think of a winger, not in the NHL, I'd rather put on Matthews wing than Brady, although I would take Svechnikov in a draft scenario). Personally, I would have taken Dobson, but Tkachuk, Zadina, and Dobson were their own tier to me.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
To be honest it can go either way, and Tkachuk at best is barely faster. Also, Tkachuk has limted offensive upside and the fact people actually questioned Wahlstrom's IQ is more of a red flag against Tkachuk than Wahlstrom as their IQs are too far apart.

Did you create an account just to bash Ottawa? Look at your posts - it's borderline obsession.

Anyway, you can see why Ottawa took Brady over Zadina. There is a lot of untapped upside in Brady considering his situation at BU. People say don't put too much stock into the WJC but it was the first time he had offensive support around him and what happened? He scored.

The more I look at this pick, the more I'm happy they chose him over Zadina. He may not have the same raw talent, but I would argue his impact on a team is far greater.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I'm a Leafs fan. I'm also a fan of Brady Tkachuk. I've seen him play live many times and also on TV. He's going to intimidate the Leafs. I don't like that. I was hoping Brady wouldn't be drafted by the Sens or the Habs. I don't look forward to playing against him. I wish him the best except the nights he plays against the Leafs.....

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Enjoy him Ottawa. I know he's going to manage to piss this Leafs fan off a lot over the next decade.

I really wonder about his potential though, will it be a Chris Neil or Alfy level of hatered. He's a tough agitator like Neil, but has skill like Alfredsson (not to that level, but he's not a plug like Neal).

I don't think Leafs fans will hate him much if he takes runs at AM34, Willy Hairlander or Mittens Marner, gets penalized and you score on the powerplay. In fact, the Leafs should be a rising team, so...why concern yourself with us?

My hope is that he develops for a good 3-4 years, disciplines his game (no retaliatory anything, no fighting, minimal hitting) and becomes a three zone beast. That would be perfect.

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
I think he needs to go to the CHL he played a year at BU and his offensive game never really shined. I believe with a full season in the CHL and world juniors will do wonders for Bradys development at this time

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
He's going to be an either you love him player or you are not going to like him. I love Matthew Tkachuk and I think Brady is better. We will see.

I'd like to believe this but Matthew outshines him in almost every skill. Brady is taller and faster.

It's the Nylander bothers all over again.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
only way he can stay at BU is to not sign an ELC. Id rather him sign and go to the AHL then risk him going the way of Jimmy Vesy

I dont think Tkachuk is a player who will delay his professional career for the opportunity to pick his destination. Have to remember these kids have to wait 4 seasons after they are drafted to get to the open market. Usually the players who go that route are pretty raw when they are drafted and need that development time and usually aren't getting a contract offer until 3 seasons after their draft. I don't believe Brady is a candidate to go that route personally, he has more to loose than he has to gain if he were to go that route.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You really should try to catch more of Svechnikov or Zadina because there's no team that should even think about taking Brady ahead of either one. They're just completely different level of talents.

@danielpalfredsson
Touche lol.

Though I still think Zadina has more to offer than Tkachuk & I would not pass on his star potential if it had been up to me. TBH at this point, I'd be more excited by Wahlstrom & Kotka than Brady for the Avs as well. Especially since I was more focused on offensive upside in this draft than physicality or two-way play, because my team has those qualities in spades in our pipeline & U25 roster.

Although I actually don't mind the "reach" for Ottawa...even if I wouldn't have done it...because I like so many of your kids' offensive upside already and I do think that Tkachuk brings your top 9 of the future...not saying he tops out as a 3rd liner or anything; just that there's a lack of sandpaper/agitation/whatever euphemism you prefer for the kind of f***nuttery that a talented PWF can cause, throughout your top 9...something that wasn't already there.

Unlike my avs, who have Landy on our top line leading the way for two big boys that can really handle themselves; we have big & physical top 9 prospects with skill getting close, like my favorite off-ice-sweetheart-on-ice-agitator, AJ Greer; plus we already have guys like Soderberg, who can really muck it up when riled, playing big minutes even before Bowers, Kamenev, Greer, etc. breakthrough to add their heft & pestiness to the mix.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Ummmm. HockeyProspect loved Mitch Marner as a prospect, having him a clear 3rd for that draft. McKenzie's scouts also had Marner above Crouse.

I'm a Leafs fan, and I love to laugh at Melnyk and the Sens. But, Brady Tkachuk is a great prospect. Let's not act like Zadina is that elite. Is there a good argument for him over Tkachuk, yeah? But, everyone seems to point to Brady's lack of production at BU. Filip Zadina's numbers were not elite for a player in the QMJHL in their draft year. Now, there is some belief that the Q is tougher to score in now, it is still debatable. I don't think either are elite NHLers without the help of a high-end center. Zadina a playmaker, and just a general high-end number 1 for Tkachuk who drives play (I can't think of a winger, not in the NHL, I'd rather put on Matthews wing than Brady, although I would take Svechnikov in a draft scenario). Personally, I would have taken Dobson, but Tkachuk, Zadina, and Dobson were their own tier to me.

Glad to see me and a couple others arent alone in our love for Dobson. Had him as my #3 prospect this year.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I love me some Brady. Sens have never had a pain in the butt top 6 power forward so im looking forward to him adding a ton to the team. We have loads of skill in our forward prospects. Im now glad we have Brady who brings so many different elements to help provide a good mix.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
If he ends up being 3/4 of what his older brother is, trust me, he will be very valuable. I would have loved if the Flames made some sort of package to nab Brady. A guy who can play intense game in and game out, throw the other team off their game, make a living in the trenches, and still put the puck in the net are extremely valuable. In the playoffs, they double their value.

Congrats Ottawa - your GM made the right pick, and you guys will absolutely love him. Will be fascinating to see the brothers play against one another. Will they end up neutralizing one another? Or will those games turn into emotionally gritty games? Can't wait to see.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Other than his brother, has there been a guy picked in the top 12 that was picked primarily due to size/grit, that actually panned out?

Guys like Kopitar and Hedman had size, but were picked primarily do to skill. Size was a bonus. Guys like Lawson Crouse and Nick Ritchie are what come to mind for size and/or grit being a driving force behind the pick (like Brady & Matthew). Logan Brown but that's too recent. A lot of Dmen (Morin, MacIlrath, Gudbranson, etc..). Who else?

PS: Not saying Brady will bust (his bro is great)... but I do wonder if there is a pattern.

Reactions: bert

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Other than his brother, has there been a guy picked in the top 12 that was picked primarily due to size/grit, that actually panned out?

Guys like Kopitar and Hedman had size, but were picked primarily do to skill. Size was a bonus. Guys like Lawson Crouse and Nick Ritchie are what come to mind for size and/or grit being a driving force behind the pick (like Brady & Matthew). Logan Brown but that's too recent. A lot of Dmen (Morin, MacIlrath, Gudbranson, etc..). Who else?

PS: Not saying Brady will bust (his bro is great)... but I do wonder if there is a pattern.
He wasn't just picked for grit. He has a bunch of skill.

Guys like Niederreiter and Landeskog were in a similar boat as Brady currently is. They may not be the home-runs you hope for drafting that high, but they are still hits and valuable players. Landeskog more so than Niedereitter.

Reactions: branch and derriko

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He's going to be an either you love him player or you are not going to like him. I love Matthew Tkachuk and I think Brady is better. We will see.
I think that this is insane. To me that's like saying that Alex is better than William. All of Brady's achievements are miles behind Matthew's at this point in their careers. Brady will be nowhere near Matthew, mark my words.

Yes, Brady is a better skater but so are Lauri Korpikoski and Miles Wood.

Reactions: bert

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think that this is insane. To me that's like saying that Alex is better than William. All of Brady's achievements are miles behind Matthew's at this point in their careers. Brady will be nowhere near Matthew, mark my words.

Yes, Brady is a better skater but so are Lauri Korpikoski and Miles Wood.

Obcourse no one is claiming Brady is better right now. Matthew is 2 years older. I don't know what is insane thinking that Brady has more upside than Matthew.

Matthew is a player I like, his points totals do not really tell the story of how good he is. They are similar in this way. But saying Brady is nowhere near the 49 points winger that Matthew is right now one day, is a more insane statement and inferring he is going to be a bust.

Reactions: derriko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad