F Blake Biondi - Notre Dame (2020, 109th, MTL)

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Haven't watched Biondi play much with Minnesota-Duluth this season, perhaps spectated 4-5 games in all. But every time I did tune into his games Biondi's been pretty good and it's nice to see as a Montreal Canadiens fan.

As far as his play so far this year, I believe that he's improved well overall compared to last season but that his increased sense of timing and ability to anticipate plays at the NCAA level have seen the biggest improvement out of all his attributes as a player.

Last season I saw Biondi often activate too soon offensively in the high-danger areas of the ice. By converging into those areas with less than ideal timing he'd draw defensive coverage to himself before his teammates would be ready to pass to him, which would result in more missed plays as when he would receive the puck there would very often already be a defending player right by him, ready to pokecheck or play the body.

Biondi would also consistently be a second late in setting up a screen in front of the opposing goalie, which obviously means easier saves and less goals scored. His timing as a playmaker was also often "off" a second too late or too soon, causing his teammates to have difficulty catching his passes cleanly or succeeding in one-timing the puck.

I won't say he's suddenly become perfect at that often-underestimated facet of the game from the few games I've watched, but he has markedly improved in my viewings, and that's a really good thing if you're a Habs fan like me.

However, Blake Biondi's overall game still needs tons of work before (if) he ever reaches the majors.

First of all, although I like his hockey sense and dedication to playing a two-way game, Biondi needs to majorly improve his four-way skating ability. He's come a long way since his days in the USHL, but right now his acceleration is slightly below-average for the NCAA and just downright poor for the NHL. His top-speed and balance are also similarly sub-par but his edges and change of direction are okay.

And although I generally like his hands in-tight, how deft his passes can be, and his play selection, Biondi will need to really refine those areas of his game if he ever wants to make it to the NHL as he doesn't necessarily have the tools as a player to be successful in a bottom-6 role and will need to maximize his efficiency as a puck distributor to make up for the weakness of his skating if he wishes to become a top-6 forward.

Anyways, that's it for me, have a good day.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad