F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Like he said earlier, McDavid was 17 half the year for his 99-point season, Lafreniere was 16 the whole time. You know because he’s also going to play 3 seasons before getting drafted.

I think calculating McDavid’s points at 16 (half his first year and half second year) gives a better idea, and Acadien86 demonstrated they’re pretty much equal.
You are incorrect. McDavid was 16 and a half just turned 17 that season. Not 17 and a half. McDavid was drafted exceptional status at 15 a year and a half before.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
You are incorrect. McDavid was 16 and a half just turned 17 that season. Not 17 and a half. McDavid was drafted exceptional status at 15 a year and a half before.
Do you read what people write or do you skip over just to get your point across?

I said he was 17 half the year in his 99-point season (January birthday), whereas Lafreniere was not. So you can’t compare the two.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Do you read what people write or do you skip over just to get your point across?

I said he was 17 half the year in his 99-point season, whereas Lafreniere was not. So you can’t compare the two.
He wasn't 17 and a half. He was 16 and was 17 years 2 months at the end of the season. LF By that notion is 16 years 6 months by the end of the season. Yes I don't read what people write. I just skip over things. Want a cookie ?

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
He wasn't 17 and a half. He was 16 and was 17 years 2 months at the end of the season. LF By that notion is 16 years 6 months by the end of the season. Yes I don't read what people write. I just skip over things. Want a cookie ?
Lol can't tell the difference between "17 and a half" and "17 half the year" eh? You definitely don't deserve a cookie.

In 2013-2014:
McDavid was 16 for October, November, December and January, that's 3 months and a half.
He was 17 for January, February, March and April. That's 3 months and a half.

So, half the season was spent as a 17 year old. Lafrenière spent zero months of his season as a 17-year old, thus you can't compare.

For someone who likes to talk about math being done right you sure don't do much of it.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Lol can't tell the difference between "17 and a half" and "17 half the year" eh? You definitely don't deserve a cookie.

In 2013-2014:
McDavid was 16 for October, November, December and January, that's 3 months and a half.
He was 17 for January, February, March and April. That's 3 months and a half.

So, half the season was spent as a 17 year old. Lafrenière spent zero months of his season as a 17-year old, thus you can't compare.

For someone who likes to talk about math being done right you sure don't do much of it.
well looks like I get no cookies. My bad.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
You tend to measure CHL numbers by birth year, not draft year.

Exactly.

And that's also the case in lower leagues. Lafrenière has always played with and against 2000, 2001, 2002.

That age discussion is so stupid. Lafrenière was a 16 yo in the league this year, end of the discussion.

Reactions: Dodospice

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

Yeah nah.. there is nothing wrong with what I did. People constantly debate on what season they should compare each player's numbers. There is no real answer to that question so I took it out of the equation. Take it for what it's worth, not trying to influence anyone but it sure got a lot of attention. Those are just facts.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Yeah nah.. there is nothing wrong with what I did. People constantly debate on what season they should compare each player's numbers. There is no real answer to that question so I took it out of the equation. Take it for what it's worth, not trying to influence anyone but it sure got a lot of attention. Those are just facts.

The real answer is the age groupe they have always played with... They started in each category at the same time, wether they were born in March or October.

But Lafrenière is a late bloomer. 3 years ago he wasn't expected to be a future franchise player. He has taken huge steps. Who knows where his development will lead him?

Last edited:

Crispix56

May 2, 2014
Exactly.

And that's also the case in lower leagues. Lafrenière has always played with and against 2000, 2001, 2002.

That age discussion is so stupid. Lafrenière was a 16 yo in the league this year, end of the discussion.

I think you totaly wrong. 3 month of difference between Mcdavid 15 years old and 9 month between his 16 years old. McDavid as always played with older player the same way of Lafreniere but why you don't compare rookie year vs rookie year, McDavid is just 2 week older than the bubble and born in 96 . If you thing the age don't matter, cheke this link.

1352 player are draft in January only 654 in october, more than the double. The age matter more than people thing. Players born in january, february and march are not better than the aughust, september and late.... They beneficial of the situation.

Sorry for my english

Reactions: Acadien86

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
The real answer is the age groupe they have always played with... They started in each category at the same time, wether they were born in March or October.

You don't think comparing McDavid's second season to Lafreniere's first season is favoring someone? Not to mention those were McDavid's D-1 season and Lafreniere D-2 season. The age difference is 9 months (McDavid being older).

Comparing both D-2 season, we have a 3 months difference, favoring Lafreniere. I think even comparing those 2 seasons would make more sense than the previous option. Personally, I just don't see how their age groupe have any influence on this.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
You don't think comparing McDavid's second season to Lafreniere's first season is favoring someone? Not to mention those were McDavid's D-1 season and Lafreniere D-2 season. The age difference is 9 months (McDavid being older).

Comparing both D-2 season, we have a 3 months difference, favoring Lafreniere. I think even comparing those 2 seasons would make more sense than the previous option. Personally, I just don't see how their age groupe have any influence on this.

I think comparing the two players is stupid anyway.

Each story is different. They didn't even play on the same kind of teams and in the same league.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I think you totaly wrong. 3 month of difference between Mcdavid 15 years old and 9 month between his 16 years old. McDavid as always played with older player the same way of Lafreniere but why you don't compare rookie year vs rookie year, McDavid is just 2 week older than the bubble and born in 96 . If you thing the age don't matter, cheke this link.

1352 player are draft in January only 654 in october, more than the double. The age matter more than people thing. Players born in january, february and march are not better than the aughust, september and late.... They beneficial of the situation.

Sorry for my english

Probably the most irrelevant thing I've read in this thread.

Players born in October had the third best point totals in the NHL this season. What does that say about Lafrenière? Nothing at all.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What the hell is this myth? His skating is very powerful and the TSN crew were salivating over it all game. He’s not McDavid but these last few comments are a joke, and I’m having trouble believing those who made them have watched him at all.

Did you see him get tracked down by Wilde when he had a significant head start? A very good skater wouldn't be close to being caught. I think he's a good skater, but not any better than good. Still time to improve though.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

To get an accurate measure you use age and league adjustments f you want to remove favouritism.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
1. McDavid
2. Lafreniere
3. Hughes
4. Matthews
5. Dahlin
6. Eichel
7. Laine

In my opinion.
I have to ask, what makes you and others think Lafreniere is better than Hughes? Hughes UNDP season + U17 championship + u18 champ so far looks way more impressive in a historical perspective.

They are both born 2001 and I for one don't give a damn about being born 4 months later. The only thing that can affect is the rookie season due to having one more year to prepare.

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
I have to ask, what makes you and others think Lafreniere is better than Hughes? Hughes UNDP season + U17 championship + u18 champ so far looks way more impressive in a historical perspective.

They are both born 2001 and I for one don't give a damn about being born 4 months later. The only thing that can affect is the rookie season due to having one more year to prepare.
Hughes has the benefit of playing year-round on a powerhouse squad in a hot-house environment where he gets world-class training and the best coaching Murica can offer. Put a talent like Lafreniere in that environment, and he'd shine even more.

Don't be surprised if Lafreniere ends up a better NHLer. Hughes is American, and that's a big part of why he's getting the hype. He's a terrific young player but, if you listened to Button, Hughes is the next great rival to McDavid, and Wahlstrom is the next Bossy (but better, of course, because he's a USNTDP boy). You'd swear some of these dullards get their talking points from Ann Arbor.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010

Sorry for my english

No need to apologize for your English. You made your point, we all understand.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Are people really comparing Lafreniere’s 16 year old draft-2 season to McDavid’s 17 year old draft-1 season? And using that unfavourable comparison as a slight on Lafreniere?

Why

Reactions: Acadien86

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Hughes has the benefit of playing year-round on a powerhouse squad in a hot-house environment where he gets world-class training and the best coaching Murica can offer. Put a talent like Lafreniere in that environment, and he'd shine even more.

Don't be surprised if Lafreniere ends up a better NHLer. Hughes is American, and that's a big part of why he's getting the hype. He's a terrific young player but, if you listened to Button, Hughes is the next great rival to McDavid, and Wahlstrom is the next Bossy (but better, of course, because he's a USNTDP boy). You'd swear some of these dullards get their talking points from Ann Arbor.
Fair enough. But Hughes numbers are quite incredible compared to Eichel and Matthews'. So given how those two have done in NHL it is safe to say Hughes looks highly promising. He also outpeformed Lafreniere in the U17 CH stat wise (can't say I saw any full game). Finally he has something we all know works well in NHL today; speed, and especially so speed with the puck.

I am however just a scoresheet/highlight watcher so that is why I am curious when someone has an opinion that goes against the stats.

Next season will be very interesting and I wonder how they will progress. Tavares proved that is not a necessity to progress from a great rookie campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->