F Alexis Lafreniere (2020, 1st, NYR) part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Does Nigel Dawes attract a crowd in Russia? Does Ryan Lasch attract a crowd in Sweden?

Just because you or I would go watch Lafreniere play doesn’t mean the common man or woman in any of these countries that is a hockey fan would do the same thing. There are even a lot of people on this website that don’t follow prospects.

The lockout point isn’t a bad one, but it’s still unlikely to ever come into play.

Beyond the "will he draw crowds?" argument, there's the fact that in most European leagues, he would be one of the best players available for acquisition. For the KHL and SHL, you could argue he wouldn't be dominant enough to justify bringing him over for half a season. But for the NL or DEL, there's definitely many teams that would take that plunge.

Plus, wouldn't the NHL transfer agreements compensate the club if Lafrenière is drafted out of a European club? Would make for a pretty cheap signing in the end.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Beyond the "will he draw crowds?" argument, there's the fact that in most European leagues, he would be one of the best players available for acquisition. For the KHL and SHL, you could argue he wouldn't be dominant enough to justify bringing him over for half a season. But for the NL or DEL, there's definitely many teams that would take that plunge.

Plus, wouldn't the NHL transfer agreements compensate the club if Lafrenière is drafted out of a European club? Would make for a pretty cheap signing in the end.

Actually, I think I mentioned that he would be very good, but you could probably also find a fringe NHL'er that will be very good, and will stay a full season. Lafreniere isn't playing a full season.

Your second point isn't a bad one.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Actually, I think I mentioned that he would be very good, but you could probably also find a fringe NHL'er that will be very good, and will stay a full season. Lafreniere isn't playing a full season.

Your second point isn't a bad one.

I'd argue you may be underestimating the difficulty of acquiring a fringe NHLer, even in Switzerland, which is probably the most attractive league for a NA player. When you go beyond the top tier of imports (guys like Rajala, Winnik, Arcobello, ...), you see a lot of slots filled by guys that were mediocre AHLers at best, guys like Jani Lajunen or David McIntyre. Even more so in the DEL, which is filled with this kind of player. Between a full season of Andrew Rowe, and a half-season of Lafreniere followed by a half-season of whatever leftover import that can be picked up mid-season, well I could see a few teams choose the 2nd option.

However you're right that it wouldn't be an ideal signing for most teams, and especially for teams that are expected to be contenders and don't need the early season help. Plus there's some risk; not sure Lafreniere's game is as well suited for the big ice as Matthews' game was. For now it's just a thought experiment; It'll be interesting to see what he actually decides next season.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Byfield probably will lose his speed sooner in his career than Lafreniere as they fill out. That’s my assumption. Byfield could end up at 230 pounds by the time he’s 21 or 22. If the league slows down and gets more defense-oriented it will benefit both players but Byfield could become unstoppable from his size alone.

Byfield’s game lacks pop or intensity. Maybe it’s his personality. He works hard and is competitive but he rarely gets knocked down or outmuscled. That will change in the NHL and he has to be prepared for it. Lafreniere’s physicality and desire to be physical will serve him well. I think opponents will respect/hate him early on in his career.

Reactions: HzH

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Does Nigel Dawes attract a crowd in Russia? Does Ryan Lasch attract a crowd in Sweden?

Just because you or I would go watch Lafreniere play doesn’t mean the common man or woman in any of these countries that is a hockey fan would do the same thing. There are even a lot of people on this website that don’t follow prospects.

The lockout point isn’t a bad one, but it’s still unlikely to ever come into play.

I don't know if Dawes and Lasch attract crowds, more fans or no one in their respective leagues :) But if they help the team be successful, I could see that act as attractive to the fans who might return for more than 1 game. That's all speculations anyway.

Another point might be that Lafreniere would help a fringe playoff team secure a spot? Again, speculations...

We'll see what happens, it'd be interesting to see him in another context than the CHL though!

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Byfield probably will lose his speed sooner in his career than Lafreniere as they fill out. That’s my assumption. Byfield could end up at 230 pounds by the time he’s 21 or 22. If the league slows down and gets more defense-oriented it will benefit both players but Byfield could become unstoppable from his size alone.

Byfield’s game lacks pop or intensity. Maybe it’s his personality. He works hard and is competitive but he rarely gets knocked down or outmuscled. That will change in the NHL and he has to be prepared for it. Lafreniere’s physicality and desire to be physical will serve him well. I think opponents will respect/hate him early on in his career.

Byfield does have the size and speed though to say he very well may not be getting knocked down in the NHL all that much. You dont really see guys like Getzlaf, Kopitar or Malkin getting knocked down or outmuscled much at all. Lafreniere clearly has more edge to his game but its not like Byfield is soft either

McGilliScout

Apr 12, 2020
Does anyone think that this guy has a chance to bust, assuming he stays healthy?

I think he plays too intelligently to truly bust. He reads the game at a level far beyond anyone in this class.

He could certainly not live up to the hype and if that's your definition of bust then, yeah, technically he can. But bust as in not be an NHL player or just a middle six guy? The odds are very, very low.

Reactions: Dominance

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I think he plays too intelligently to truly bust. He reads the game at a level far beyond anyone in this class.

He could certainly not live up to the hype and if that's your definition of bust then, yeah, technically he can. But bust as in not be an NHL player or just a middle six guy? The odds are very, very low.

One might say something like Sam Reinhart could be considered a reasonable level of effectiveness for his floor in the NHL. Obviously he could be much worse than that, but I don't see it barring injury.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
I don't know if Dawes and Lasch attract crowds, more fans or no one in their respective leagues :) But if they help the team be successful, I could see that act as attractive to the fans who might return for more than 1 game. That's all speculations anyway.

Another point might be that Lafreniere would help a fringe playoff team secure a spot? Again, speculations...

We'll see what happens, it'd be interesting to see him in another context than the CHL though!

Lasch draws crowd, hes been the superstar in Frolunda and the face of the team for years behind Lundqvist.

Hes also a fantastic human being on top of that and has been an amazing ambassador for the team.

Sorry to interrupt, continue...

Reactions: abo9

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Going to a real contender! Is that a Calder I smell?

I don’t know if all of these teams are in the running because I don’t entirely understand how the placement of the pick works...but they all look pretty damn sweet to me.

Lafreniere-Dach-Kane

Lafreniere-Schmaltz-Keller

Lafreniere-Staal-Zuccarello

Lafreniere-Scheifele-Laine

Lafreniere-Backlund-Tkachuk

Lafreniere-Pettersson-Miller

Lafreniere-Duchene-Arvidsson

Lafreniere-McDavid-Kassian

Lafreniere-Suzuki-Drouin

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Kakko

Lafreniere-Barkov-Dadanov

Lafreniere-Dubois-Atkinson

Lafreniere-Matthews-Marner

Lafreniere-Barzal-Eberle

Lafreniere-Aho-Svechnikov

Lafreniere-Crosby-Guentzel

Reactions: Love

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Going to a real contender! Is that a Calder I smell?

I don’t know if all of these teams are in the running because I don’t entirely understand how the placement of the pick works...but they all look pretty damn sweet to me.

No-Dach-Kane

Lafreniere-Schmaltz-Keller

Lafreniere-Staal-Zuccarello

No-Scheifele-Laine

Lafreniere-Backlund-Tkachuk

Lafreniere-Pettersson-Miller

No-Duchene-Arvidsson

Haha yeah probs-McDavid-Kassian

Lafreniere-Suzuki-Drouin

Lafreniere-Barkov-Dadanov

Lafreniere-Dubois-Atkinson

Lafreniere-Matthews-Marner

Lafreniere-Barzal-Eberle

Lafreniere-Aho-Svechnikov

Lafreniere-Crosby-Guentzel

@AKL who is this guy, and why doesn’t he understand:

Lafreniere-Fiala-Kaprizov

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
What better way for Lafreniere to break into the league than with the best player in the world?

Lafreniere - McDavid - Kassian
Nuge - Draisaitl - Yamamoto

:rolleyes:

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Imagine Lafrenière/Suzuki on one line and KK/Caufield on the other... MB might get a lifetime extension lol

Last edited:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Kassian? He basically played at a 50 pt pace, is good defensively, and adds a physical presence.

And you don't exactly need a superstar to play with McDavid and Lafreniere.
Yeah, I actually really like Kassian there. He’s always been a way better player than people give him credit for. With his wheels, shot, and muscle, he’s the absolutely perfect third wheel for a pair of superstars.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I understand what you are trying to get at, but the way our lines work, Zibanejad, Kreider and Buchnevich play excellent together. Panarin plays excellent with Strome. Panarin and Strome have mostly played with Fast, whose a UFA. He could be re-signed, but I see him eventually moving off Panarin's line when a better option emerges. That could be Lafreniere, but it could also be Kakko.

If we won the lottery, it might eventually necessitate a trade of someone like Buchnevich, but I don't know if you can do that before next season when Lafreniere hasn't yet played any games and Kakko sucks so far in the NHL. There's also the possibility that Strome is traded. Chytil would probably just move up a line, but I guess the over-arching point is that there are a lot of possibilities. I highly doubt that line would be all too likely though. Not yet at least.

Reactions: Dominance
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->