F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Byfield is only off by 14pts but he's in his second junior season LaF is in his 3rd. case closed
“Only” 14 points in a 30 game sample? :laugh:
If they both played 60 games and kept the same pace one would have 134pts and the other would have 113... that’s a large gap.

Reactions: chapeau

ijuka

May 14, 2016
“Only” 14 points in a 30 game sample? :laugh:
If they both played 60 games and kept the same pace one would have 134pts and the other would have 113... that’s a large gap.
113 is pretty good considering Lafreniere scored only 105 last season. And I also consider OHL scoring to be more impressive than QMJHL.

Reactions: LeProspector

aigledefeu

Oct 30, 2011
quebec
113 is pretty good considering Lafreniere scored only 105 last season. And I also consider OHL scoring to be more impressive than QMJHL.

Lafrenière was younger than Byfield this year when he "scored Only 105 last season". Do you realise not everyone have the same progression in the junior? You can't assume Byfield would score 150 pts next year if he score 115 this year, some players take a major step one year and stagnate after that.
For example Nick Suzuki went
38 pts 2015-2016
96 pts 2016-2017
100 pts 2017-2018
94 pts 2018-2019

Player who have big progression in points every years are pretty rare, Lafrenière is one of them and I think Byfield did nothing enough impressive to take the 10A spot to Lafrenière. (Byfield still a really good 2nd pick and could turn out to be the better player in the future, but not for now)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Very good, but Lafrenière is still the better prospect.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
I think it could go either way because Byfield is a big center with elite skill. I think either way who ever drafts first and second will be set up real nicely for the future with each of these guys. I'm just glad Ottawa and San Jose are playing better because a month ago they were basically sitting 30 and 31st and if the sens drafted 1 and 2 in this draft I would die inside lol.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Lafrenierre won CHL player of the year last year if we want to talk about 17 year old seasons
Reliant on there not being other good players at the time - hence it's a pointless achievement. With his performance, it comes down to being fortunate with the opportunity.
Lafrenière was younger than Byfield this year when he "scored Only 105 last season". Do you realise not everyone have the same progression in the junior?
Oh, indeed. Byfield's trajectory from season 1 to season 2 has been steeper than Lafreniere's. Dug your own grave, one could say.
A nonexistent argument, I see. I wonder what happened to C>W, though. I at least am considering the teams picking, and usually a potential 1C has quite the allure.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Reliant on there not being other good players at the time - hence it's a pointless achievement. With his performance, it comes down to being fortunate with the opportunity.

Oh, indeed. Byfield's trajectory from season 1 to season 2 has been steeper than Lafreniere's. Dug your own grave, one could say.A nonexistent argument, I see. I wonder what happened to C>W, though. I at least am considering the teams picking, and usually a potential 1C has quite the allure.
CHL player of the year is a pointless achievement? Okay. You seem to have formed an opinion on Byfield and Lafreniere and have been trying to form the facts to fit that already preconceived opinion. I just find it fascinating how some people are manufacturing negatives on Lafreniere for really no reason at all. More then likely also haven't watched him play.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
CHL player of the year is a pointless achievement? Okay. You seem to have formed an opinion on Byfield and Lafreniere and have been trying to form the facts to fit that already preconceived opinion. I just find it fascinating how some people are manufacturing negatives on Lafreniere for really no reason at all. More then likely also haven't watched him play.

Pat Falloon / Eric Lindros

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Oh, indeed. Byfield's trajectory from season 1 to season 2 has been steeper than Lafreniere's. Dug your own grave, one could say.A nonexistent argument, I see. I wonder what happened to C>W, though. I at least am considering the teams picking, and usually a potential 1C has quite the allure.

If you can show me one legit ranking that shows Byfield over Lafreniere then I’ll consider your arguments.

For now that hasn’t been a thing.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
If you can show me one legit ranking that shows Byfield over Lafreniere then I’ll consider your arguments.

For now that hasn’t been a thing.

Rankings end up wrong in hindsight a lot of times though, so I'm not sure how much of an argument that should be.

It's close enough where position, size, playstyle, and perceived upside could definitely tip the scale Byfield's way. Most would agree that Lafrenière is 1st, but I don't think it'd be inconceivable for him to end up 2nd at this stage.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Rankings end up wrong in hindsight a lot of times though, so I'm not sure how much of an argument that should be.

It's close enough where position, size, playstyle, and perceived upside could definitely tip the scale Byfield's way. Most would agree that Lafrenière is 1st, but I don't think it'd be inconceivable for him to end up 2nd at this stage.

It’s very, very rare for someone to take over the 1st overall ranking at this point in the season, especially with someone as hyped as Lafrenière.

It would take one hell of a second half of the season/amazing WJC for Byfield to take over 1st overall at this point.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
It’s very, very rare for someone to take over the 1st overall ranking at this point in the season, especially with someone as hyped as Lafrenière.

It would take one hell of a second half of the season/amazing WJC for Byfield to take over 1st overall at this point.

I know 2017 is a very long time ago and very hard to remember but Nolan Patrick was ranked 1st in the mid-season rankings but did not go 1st overall. Going through the pages of this thread is just post after post of NBWings swooning.

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I know 2017 is a very long time ago and very hard to remember but Nolan Patrick was ranked 1st in the mid-season rankings but did not go 1st overall. Going through the pages of this thread is just post after post of NBWings swooning.
Well, Patrick missed more than half the season, and had 23 less points than Lafreniere (Laf playing 2 less games) in his draft season. He never had a 1st overall type season whatsoever, Lafreniere is having better than average 1st overall season.

If Laf continues his season, and continues to lead the CHL in nearly every offensive category, he will be tough to knock out of first regardless of what others are doing. He’s been pegged as the guy for 3 years, and has more than delivered every season.

If he gets injured tomorrow and misses the 2nd half of the season and playoffs like Patrick did, Byfield would be able to make up lots of ground and likely jumps ahead on many lists.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Lafrenière was younger than Byfield this year when he "scored Only 105 last season". Do you realise not everyone have the same progression in the junior? You can't assume Byfield would score 150 pts next year if he score 115 this year, some players take a major step one year and stagnate after that.
For example Nick Suzuki went
38 pts 2015-2016
96 pts 2016-2017
100 pts 2017-2018
94 pts 2018-2019

Player who have big progression in points every years are pretty rare, Lafrenière is one of them and I think Byfield did nothing enough impressive to take the 10A spot to Lafrenière. (Byfield still a really good 2nd pick and could turn out to be the better player in the future, but not for now)

Yea but you’re kind of contradicting yourself here. if anything Byfield is the one who seems to be progressing more year to year. The difference between year 1 QB and year 2 QB is larger than the difference between year 1 AL and year 2 AL.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Well, Patrick missed more than half the season, and had 23 less points than Lafreniere (Laf playing 2 less games) in his draft season. He never had a 1st overall type season whatsoever, Lafreniere is having better than average 1st overall season.

If Laf continues his season, and continues to lead the CHL in nearly every offensive category, he will be tough to knock out of first regardless of what others are doing. He’s been pegged as the guy for 3 years, and has more than delivered every season.

If he gets injured tomorrow and misses the 2nd half of the season and playoffs like Patrick did, Byfield would be able to make up lots of ground and likely jumps ahead on many lists.

I really don’t think it’s a good idea to compare this situation with the 2017 draft. The top of that draft was considered really week. Bob McKenzie said even when 10/10 scouts had Patrick at 1 they said he could be a 1st liner or a 3rd liner. Alexis Lafreniere and Byfield and much more highly regarded. If someone takes Byfield 1 it’ll be becuase they view him as a franchise C compared to AL. Being a first line winger.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I really don’t think it’s a good idea to compare this situation with the 2017 draft. The top of that draft was considered really week. Bob McKenzie said even when 10/10 scouts had Patrick at 1 they said he could be a 1st liner or a 3rd liner. Alexis Lafreniere and Byfield and much more highly regarded. If someone takes Byfield 1 it’ll be becuase they view him as a franchise C compared to AL. Being a first line winger.

FWIW, if Byfield were to upend Lafreniere, I can see it being more due to the age difference than position.

Then again, Byfield is insanely large for a hockey player that's barely 17.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Great you’ve got one example. Let’s see some more if it’s not rare.

Also Patrick dropped because he had an awful draft season. Clearly not the case with Lafreniere.

Going through the pages it’s just posters like you trying to come up with “hot takes” and predictions of someone else going 1st overall like what happens every season. Anyone else remember when Kakko, Seguin, Hedman, Eichel, Doughty, Laine and Murray were also going 1st overall according to some people?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Why? Scoring levels have been close between the two leagues for many years now. Performance vs. their respective peers should be the metric.
It's not about the "scoring levels". It's about the quality. Since Ontario is where the strongest, most decorated Canadian junior systems are.

For the same reason, I largely don't consider WHL to be worth very much at all.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
It's not about the "scoring levels". It's about the quality. Since Ontario is where the strongest, most decorated Canadian junior systems are.

The Q has held its own in terms of Memorial Cup performances for quite awhile now. Any evidence to back up a claim that an OHL prospect > a Q prospect despite similar offensive resumes?

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia

The junior hockey landscape isn't completely dominated by the OHL anymore, there are plenty of worthwhile programs across the country including the Q.

The Q has been able to churn out elite talent at an impressive rate over the last decade. Currently out of the top 30 players in ppg: six are from the Q, seven are from the O, one from the W, three from the NCAA, and thirteen played juniors overseas. This is consistent with the last number of years. Bottom line is that the Q produces top-end talent and Lafreniere is only further proof of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->