Player Discussion Eyeball test thread

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
A place where we can discuss player grades entirely from their results on the eyeball test.

Bergeron A+ (A for his own standard)
Pastrnak A+ (A for his own standard)
Marchand A- (B+ for his own standard)
Debrusk B+ (A for his own standard)
Foligno B- (B- for his own standard)
Greer B- (A for his own standard)
Hall C+ (B- for his own standard)
Zacha B+ (A for his own standard).

Carlo B- (B+ for his own standard)
McAvoy B (B- for his own standard)
Lindholm A (A+ for his own standard)
Clifton B+ (A- for his own standard)

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
A place where we can discuss player grades entirely from their results on the eyeball test.

Bergeron A+ (A for his own standard)
Pastrnak A+ (A for his own standard)
Marchand A- (B+ for his own standard)
Debrusk B+ (A for his own standard)
Foligno B- (B- for his own standard)
Greer B- (A for his own standard)
Hall C+ (B- for his own standard)
Zacha B+ (A for his own standard).

Carlo B- (B+ for his own standard)
McAvoy B (B- for his own standard)
Lindholm A (A+ for his own standard)
Clifton B+ (A- for his own standard)
Debrusk needs an A. Guys been an absolute force :p

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I’m not sure I understand the rating system - “his own standard” is what his expected value/performance is, and the other rating is how he is performing relative to what was expected?

Reactions: BradMarchandismydad

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Bergeron: A
Marchand: A
Pastrnak: A
DeBrusk: A
Krejci: A-
Zacha: B+
Coyle: B
Hall: C+
Frederic: B
Foligno: B-
Greer: C+
Nosek: C
Smith: F

McAvoy: B+
Carlo: B-
Lindholm: A
Clifton: B
Forbort: B-
Grzelcyk: B

Ullmark: A+
Swayman: B

Last edited:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I’m not sure I understand the rating system - “his own standard” is what his expected value/performance is, and the other rating is how he is performing relative to what was expected?
Pretty much - the eyeball test is tough to measure in the nitty gritty - but Pasta at a C is most players at an A.

Matt8871

Jan 10, 2022
Okay I'm gonna take a crack at this...with explanations

Pastrnak: C- (Pastrnak has been decent offensively, but his zone entries and horrendous giveaways have come to light playing with Krejci, who isn't Bergeron. I'd give him a C, but he's on an expiring deal. At least he hasn't missed a game).

Zacha: B+ (Zacha has been better than I expected. Has created lots of offense and is a solid penalty killer when called upon).

Bergeron: A+ (I'm not explaining this one. The analytics (am I allowed to say that?) back this up).

Hall: C (He's really good at circling the offensive zone and sometimes scoring clutch goals, but it seems like no matter what line he's on he just go zoom zoom).

Lindholm: A- (Would have an A if he threw like one hit, ever. Pretty good offensively and in transition).

Coyle: A+++ (Well worth his contract. Hometown guy. Uses his body. Not sure I've ever seen him score a goal that didn't go in off a defender but the best 3C in the league on a value deal).

Nick Foligno: A (Wasn't sure about this guy, but his speed and puck protection have really shown us why we signed him).

Clifton: B (Meh).

Fredrick: A++ (When this guy drops the mitts I just about buy his jersey through Fanatics. Need more of his snarl on the roster. The analytics back this up).

Grzelcyk: A+++++ (Our best player this season based on the eye test. Real shifty, akin to how Adam Fox skates. Really good in his own end, and great in transition. My only gripe (would have 6 +'s) is that he's like 5 foot 8 or whatever).

Carlo A (Not sure how this guy only makes under 5 million green babes. If we trade him for Horvat i'd be a canucks fan).

Krejci: C (Shoot the dang puck).

Marchand: B+ (Would be a B if he wasn't funny on twitter. Kind of invisible 5v5 but at least hes good on special teams. Looks like he lost a step, I wonder if he's gone after this season).

Nosek: A (He used to skate like he had cement in his skates. Now he skates like he doesn't have cement in his skates. Good faceoff taker! A little injury prone though, or else he'd be A+).

Derek Forbort: A+ (Great PKer, and he's big and blocks shots and sometimes hits. What more could you want on a 3rd pair guy).

McAvoy: B- (He looks like he just got his 9.5 milly and is afraid to take a hit. Not sure what's going on there. Throw that thick body into an opponent, will ya!).

Smith: B- (Scored a couple goals recently. I think he's on the up and up. Give it a chance).

Greer: A (Does what he's asked. Chucks the Knucks and is a good ol boston boy, at least in college. Could see him helping us with a deep playoff run, we need bruisers with snarl like him. Analytics back it up too.).

Zboril: D (Another Sweeney 2015 bust. His play is a reflection of how that draft went as a whole (made the NHL but stinks!!!) Hope we get some spare parts or a bag of pucks for him soon).

Stralman: ??? (To be honest I've never heard of Strallman. Not really sure where he is right now.)

McLaughlin: D+ (Go back to providence.)

Koppanen: A+ (Perfect nosek replacement when called upon. Will be a great black ace to help us against teams like tampa down the stretch. Big body, likes to rough it up physically).

Reactions: StrBender

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Going to take a different approach because I find it hard to use an A-F system since the expectation from player to player is different. I'm going to use a "meets, exceeds, does not meet" in regards to expectations instead.

1675113152483.png

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Okay I'm gonna take a crack at this...with explanations

Pastrnak: C- (Pastrnak has been decent offensively, but his zone entries and horrendous giveaways have come to light playing with Krejci, who isn't Bergeron. I'd give him a C, but he's on an expiring deal. At least he hasn't missed a game).

Zacha: B+ (Zacha has been better than I expected. Has created lots of offense and is a solid penalty killer when called upon).

Bergeron: A+ (I'm not explaining this one. The analytics (am I allowed to say that?) back this up).

Hall: C (He's really good at circling the offensive zone and sometimes scoring clutch goals, but it seems like no matter what line he's on he just go zoom zoom).

Lindholm: A- (Would have an A if he threw like one hit, ever. Pretty good offensively and in transition).

Coyle: A+++ (Well worth his contract. Hometown guy. Uses his body. Not sure I've ever seen him score a goal that didn't go in off a defender but the best 3C in the league on a value deal).

Nick Foligno: A (Wasn't sure about this guy, but his speed and puck protection have really shown us why we signed him).

Clifton: B (Meh).

Fredrick: A++ (When this guy drops the mitts I just about buy his jersey through Fanatics. Need more of his snarl on the roster. The analytics back this up).

Grzelcyk: A+++++ (Our best player this season based on the eye test. Real shifty, akin to how Adam Fox skates. Really good in his own end, and great in transition. My only gripe (would have 6 +'s) is that he's like 5 foot 8 or whatever).

Carlo A (Not sure how this guy only makes under 5 million green babes. If we trade him for Horvat i'd be a canucks fan).

Krejci: C (Shoot the dang puck).

Marchand: B+ (Would be a B if he wasn't funny on twitter. Kind of invisible 5v5 but at least hes good on special teams. Looks like he lost a step, I wonder if he's gone after this season).

Nosek: A (He used to skate like he had cement in his skates. Now he skates like he doesn't have cement in his skates. Good faceoff taker! A little injury prone though, or else he'd be A+).

Derek Forbort: A+ (Great PKer, and he's big and blocks shots and sometimes hits. What more could you want on a 3rd pair guy).

McAvoy: B- (He looks like he just got his 9.5 milly and is afraid to take a hit. Not sure what's going on there. Throw that thick body into an opponent, will ya!).

Smith: B- (Scored a couple goals recently. I think he's on the up and up. Give it a chance).

Greer: A (Does what he's asked. Chucks the Knucks and is a good ol boston boy, at least in college. Could see him helping us with a deep playoff run, we need bruisers with snarl like him. Analytics back it up too.).

Zboril: D (Another Sweeney 2015 bust. His play is a reflection of how that draft went as a whole (made the NHL but stinks!!!) Hope we get some spare parts or a bag of pucks for him soon).

Stralman: ??? (To be honest I've never heard of Strallman. Not really sure where he is right now.)

McLaughlin: D+ (Go back to providence.)

Koppanen: A+ (Perfect nosek replacement when called upon. Will be a great black ace to help us against teams like tampa down the stretch. Big body, likes to rough it up physically).

I agree with most of your assessment although I'm still not a big fan of Gryz- he's fine regular season but not in the playoffs. W/r/t Mac, I think he's concerned about getting another major injury, maybe not consciously but underneath. Or his shoulder isn't 100% yet.

Really like your grades for Nosek & Forbort. They're outstanding for the roles they play. I'd also give DK a higher mark- he's never been a shooter although he's always had a great shot so I don't think he should be penalized for that now.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Don’t think I’ve ever seen a 116 point pace be termed “decent offensively” before, I’m shook

Eye test: FORBORT A++++++

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Don’t think I’ve ever seen a 116 point pace be termed “decent offensively” before, I’m shook

Bruh. They have only scored 135 goals. Terrible. If it wasn’t for forbort blocked 11 shots and putting it off the glass and out this team would be racing for Bedard :sarcasm::naughty:

• Haha
Reactions: BMC

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Bruh. They have only scored 135 goals. Terrible. If it wasn’t for forbort blocked 11 shots and putting it off the glass and out this team would be racing for Bedard :sarcasm::naughty:
OrrBort the Kill Gawd

Honestly for the most part I think everybody is mostly passing the eye test. Maybe not the last 3 games but I’m not so concerned about that vs the much larger sample.

Reactions: Kegs

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Saw that. Glad Pastrnak was first so I could ignore the rest. Glasses needed.

71 points in 38 games = Decent Offensively

YIKES.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Going to take a different approach because I find it hard to use an A-F system since the expectation from player to player is different. I'm going to use a "meets, exceeds, does not meet" in regards to expectations instead.

View attachment 643948

This is pretty close to what I think. I’d probably think about moving Foligno and Forbort to exceeding expectations though, because I expected very little from them.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Not sure how Marchand scoring so low? Guy is just tearing it up.

I just realized I had Greer ahead of Hall. Think my eyeballs are more pleasantly surprised to see what he does out there than what Halls been doing. Doesn't make it right but it is what it is (my own fault).

Imagine giving the 4th leading scorer in the league a C-

Saw that. Glad Pastrnak was first so I could ignore the rest. Glasses needed.

71 points in 38 games = Decent Offensively

YIKES.
Get out of here with yer Fancy Nancy statistics - this is a place for eyeballs!

• Haha
Reactions: NeelyDan

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Bergeron: A
Marchand: A
Pastrnak: A
DeBrusk: A
Krejci: A-
Zacha: B+
Coyle: B
Hall: C+
Frederic: B
Foligno: B-
Greer: C+
Nosek: C
Smith: F

McAvoy: B+
Carlo: B-
Lindholm: A
Clifton: B
Forbort: B-
Grzelcyk: B

Ullmark: A+
Swayman: B

I agree with this even at the fractional level across the entire thing

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
in a single season the stats crowd has informed me that Pastrnak is a C- player and Gryz is the best shutdown D in the league

nothing to see here

• Haha
Reactions: bme44

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
in a single season the stats crowd has informed me that Pastrnak is a C- player and Gryz is the best shutdown D in the league

nothing to see here
Love it. Gryz is the man LOL. You made my day. Did you mention that Gryz has accomplished this with basically ZERO PK minutes

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: NeelyDan

Matt8871

Jan 10, 2022

nothing to see here
Its just the eye test. No analytics, stats involved. I coach Triple A Mites over in Winchendon and we don’t need any of those taller defenseman to have the least goals allowed in the league. I don’t coach my kids to give the puck away at the blue line. I certainly love goals but I really think Pasta has had a poor season outside of some inflated point stats.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad