Speculation: Extending Dermott

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Gotta see if he can handle top 4 minutes before any decision is made.

He struggled when pushed last year and has been a bust in the playoffs (although he was nursing an injury in the last one)

I'm sure we'll see him get another shot at tougher assignments again at some point this year and hopefully he's able to adjust as it makes things easier for us. Having studs like Muzzin and Rielly ahead of him on the depth chart sure doesnt help his case though.

Reactions: biotk

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
See how he responds from injury. He wont go crazy this year as he'll be bottom pair most likely.

He wont price himself out I wouldn't think.

Reactions: WizardOfNaz

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
prob a bridge dont see how he could demand more than like 2.5m unless he has a miraculous swing

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Bridge, 2 or 3 years

Unless he puts up some points this season he won't be getting much I'd have thought, he's never topped 20 points at the NHL level to this point in his career so he hasn't got a ton of negotiating leverage

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I suppose one bonus of his missing time to start the year is that he shouldn't have such a wild season that he'll be able to argue for much. Shouldn't be too hard to extend him to something reasonable for all sides. I mean sure if Dubas has time then get something figured out for 3 years or so if possible. But I can't see him having a year that will lead to a stupid raise. All the more so being a LD behind Rielly and Muzzin. Even if he switches sides he won't get much if any PP time to bolster his stats.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Could be a good time to lock him up long-term at a bit of a higher price. I'd go 6-7 years between 3-4M maybe. I doubt he takes it but something along those lines could be super smart.

With that said, there's no big rush. I doubt he comes back from injury and explodes offensively or whatever, so I think it's better to wait until the season is over and go from there.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Either option is fine really.

Unless he puts up large numbers of points (and without pp time he wont) hes got no case for big dollars regardless. 2.5-3.5 over 3-5 seasons would be fine.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
You won't get him long term now, coming off an injury and readying to prove himself, but he might take one extra year due to the uncertainty, and to buy himself some more time.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Nobody would go for it. It's likely a 2-3 year bridge though. Makes sense.

He hasn't done much yet so that is a good amount of cheddar guaranteed up front or he bets on himself. 2 yr bridge seems more likely.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I'd offer him a long term deal in the 3's or at 4 mm a year and see if he accepts. If not, then you can just bridge.

Im pretty confident he'll at worst be able to be a bottom pair guy, I think its worth the risk.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Starting the year injured, won't see PP time, likely the puck mover on the 3rd pairing with either someone like Harpur or a Vet we've yet to bring in. He won't end up breaking out bank. He has great upside though. So hopefully we get a lot of term on his next deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad