Exp'n Draft requirements - do Playoff games count > 40/70? re-sign Glass?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
If Yes, Glass would exceed the "70 games over last 2 seasons" threshold
Could re-signing Glass be how NYR have a 2d eligible F?

i've been expecting a Puempel re-sign, figured that's why they played him so much late, to get him to a 40-game season

i know this prospect may make some Glass doubters bonkers, but that's not my intent, just want confirmation re the title question

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Glass has only played 68 games over the past 2 seasons.

No playoff games don't count.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I really doubt Puempel played at the end of the season for any other reason. He shouldn't be any higher in the pecking order than Pirri.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The issue I see is if they sign Glass for this purpose, it's going to have to be to a contract that is larger than it would be otherwise.

He and his agent are going to know one of the purposes is to expose him, that likely carries a premium. Glass could perhaps get that contract as a UFA.

Puempel on the other hand he may be lucky to get much, if any contract for next year. To him perhaps any contract is a good contract regardless of where he plays. Yet similarly I think even that contract would likely have to include more stuff than it would otherwise. A one way deal that likely has a raise would be my guess.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If Yes, Glass would exceed the "70 games over last 2 seasons" threshold
Could re-signing Glass be how NYR have a 2d eligible F?

i've been expecting a Puempel re-sign, figured that's why they played him so much late, to get him to a 40-game season

i know this prospect may make some Glass doubters bonkers, but that's not my intent, just want confirmation re the title question

I do believe they do count but I do not know for certain.

This is what is stated at NHL.com:
https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592
ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

To me this very section seems like a copy and paste from the actual rules.

In the 2013 CBA, and prior legal documents from the NHL, "NHL Games" (granted with a capital G) have been assigned the following meaning:
"NHL Games" means Regular Season Games and Playoff Games.

This is also in line with how similar requirements are stipulated in the CBA:
For the purposes of this Section 10.2(a), a Player aged 18 or 19 earns a
year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more NHL Games
in a given NHL Season.

A Club's Qualifying Offer must be a One-Way Qualifying Offer if the
applicable Player has: (A) actually played (excluding games missed for
injury, illness or disability) 180 or more NHL Games in the previous three
(3) NHL Seasons

A Club shall be permitted to dress a minimum of eight (8) veterans for any
Exhibition Game. For purposes of this Section 15.4(c), a veteran shall constitute either: (1) a
forward or defenseman who played in thirty (30) NHL Games during the previous season, (2) a
goaltender who either dressed in fifty (50) or more NHL Games or played in thirty (30) or more
NHL Games in the previous season

NHL Season has the following meaning:
"NHL Season" means the time period corresponding to the Regular Season and
Playoffs.

The CBA is not that well drafted, and there are a lot of sloppiness in it. They are not consistent with definitions and so forth. But against the context when they just talk about season (like previous season), I think its fairly obvious that they refer to both the regular season including the POs. So I also think its a good bet that they would have referred to the Regular Season explicitly if that is what they ment.

I am also fairly certain that its that law firm that drafted the CBA for the NHL that Bettman have used for this job, don't think they would draft this in-house. Hence the wording ought to be consistent with the CBA.

However, there is always a risk the press department got something unambiguous and rewrote it giving it a new meaning when it was announced.

Last edited:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
thanks all, especially Ola and GaG for including the sources behind their understandings

as long we are 1 F short of being fully expansion draft ready,
many of us are curious how Gorto will get us there

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think the Rangers would love to sign Tanner, but I'm not sure they can afford it anymore.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Puempel hit the games requirement. They'll sign him to a minimum contract to expose him

It's not like he is going to have offers from other teams. He stinks, he'll re-sign

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I do believe they do count but I do not know for certain.

This is what is stated at NHL.com:
https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

To me this very section seems like a copy and paste from the actual rules.

In the 2013 CBA, and prior legal documents from the NHL, "NHL Games" (granted with a capital G) have been assigned the following meaning:

This is also in line with how similar requirements are stipulated in the CBA:

NHL Season has the following meaning:

The CBA is not that well drafted, and there are a lot of sloppiness in it. They are not consistent with definitions and so forth. But against the context when they just talk about season (like previous season), I think its fairly obvious that they refer to both the regular season including the POs. So I also think its a good bet that they would have referred to the Regular Season explicitly if that is what they ment.

I am also fairly certain that its that law firm that drafted the CBA for the NHL that Bettman have used for this job, don't think they would draft this in-house. Hence the wording ought to be consistent with the CBA.

However, there is always a risk the press department got something unambiguous and rewrote it giving it a new meaning when it was announced.

NHL season means different things in different places. When it comes to calculating daily cap hit, the number is divided by about 185 days depending on the year. That's the first day of the regular season to the last day of the regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad