Explosive/Power Training

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Those are all excellent power exercises (assuming you mean sprints on the bike). You are going to have to give us your background first: age, weight, 1-rep on a full back squat or front squat? Your answer to those will determine your best path forward.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Im only 6 months in at this point and I had very little previous experience in training

Right now my best are (plus the bar)

PC/PP: 13 sets x 1 rep x 17.5kg on each side
SQ (back): 13 sets x 1 rep x 20 kg on each side (going for speed not mass)
Bike: lv 6 resistance 100 sec
Uphill sprints: say 100 m x 6

My profile is 6'2" and 175 lbs

Plus ill do a set of curls, two sets of chin ups and 55 situps with a 10 kg plate to round out the workout.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
In order to get real benefit out of plyometrics & power training, you really need to be able to do a full back squat with a minimum of 1.5x your bodyweight. That, or an exercise that demands similar leg strength, should be your #1 goal. It doesn't have to be a back squat. A front squat is better and some form of unilateral squatting is better still (skating is a one-legged activity, after all). If I were you, I'd significantly lower the volume on the explosive work and focus on strength first. Increased leg strength will give you the biggest benefit at this point in your training.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
1. I do jump squats with a kettlebell. 2. scissor jumps- easy to find video 3. Side to side jumps--laterally (one foot to the other if that makes sense) staying in a crouched position and jump back. See below:

•Start in athletic position standing on right foot
•Explode 45 or 180 degrees to left and land softly on left foot with right foot in air
•Repeat to right (no kettlebell)

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I agree that a solid foundation of strength should be built before one gets "too specific" in their training. That most often leads nowhere.

Assuming you take that to heart and get some commendable strength in your legs, here are a few I cycle into my bodybuilding routine which also help my hockey legs. They're somewhat uncommon depending who you talk to, but believe me they will work wonders for core strength and stability. I know plenty of guys who can outsquat me easily, but can't touch me on these. Then again, half of it is training the movement so that's no surprise. I used to be a squat-for-numbers nut too, but not anymore. But I digress...

Here are a few to look into:

- Bulgarian Squat (lots of people do these with light weights and never really push themselves. Start light, yes, but do push yourself when the time comes. It's as tough of a stability movement as it is for your legs, many overlook that and just worry about their legs)

- Walking lunges (DB or BB, just get a full extension)

- RDL with STRONG focus on your hamstrings (it's so easy to cheat on these and use your back, but correctly done they will kill your hams)

- Pistols (I like to do these after a few sets of plyo squats/jumping split squats, lunges. They look simple but are HARD. Last guy who wanted to show me he could do them made it about halfway on rep #1 and fell on his ass)

- GHR (glute-ham raise) if you have the means. Killer hamstring move, quite off the wall, but it WORKS.

- HIIT biking (I use the machine, just make the high intensity interval as hard as you can get away with. These are brutal when done right)

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
I agree that a solid foundation of strength should be built before one gets "too specific" in their training. That most often leads nowhere.

Assuming you take that to heart and get some commendable strength in your legs, here are a few I cycle into my bodybuilding routine which also help my hockey legs. They're somewhat uncommon depending who you talk to, but believe me they will work wonders for core strength and stability. I know plenty of guys who can outsquat me easily, but can't touch me on these. Then again, half of it is training the movement so that's no surprise. I used to be a squat-for-numbers nut too, but not anymore. But I digress...

Here are a few to look into:

- Bulgarian Squat (lots of people do these with light weights and never really push themselves. Start light, yes, but do push yourself when the time comes. It's as tough of a stability movement as it is for your legs, many overlook that and just worry about their legs)

- Walking lunges (DB or BB, just get a full extension)

- RDL with STRONG focus on your hamstrings (it's so easy to cheat on these and use your back, but correctly done they will kill your hams)

- Pistols (I like to do these after a few sets of plyo squats/jumping split squats, lunges. They look simple but are HARD. Last guy who wanted to show me he could do them made it about halfway on rep #1 and fell on his ass)

- GHR (glute-ham raise) if you have the means. Killer hamstring move, quite off the wall, but it WORKS.

- HIIT biking (I use the machine, just make the high intensity interval as hard as you can get away with. These are brutal when done right)

What does RDL stand for?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad