Explain the appeal of Brock Lesnar and why Vince keeps going back to this guy

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
What does Vince see in this guy?

A part timer with a limited repertoire of moves, yet he gets more mulligans than a miniature golfer, doesn't seem to have undeniable passion and desire, is in it for the money.... yet Vince seemingly can't quit this guy, like a smoker who can't get over his addiction

I don’t get it. Why is this guy getting so many chances?

Like, Vince couldn't even make it TWO MONTHS without this guy around. God forbid we don't have to hear Heyman and his tiresome promos.......

Reactions: iamjs

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Lesnar is the biggest name WWE has. Vince loves big guys and doesn't care about someone being in wrestling for the money. There is no way that Vince cares about moveset, although this isn't a weakness for Lesnar. It probably helps that Lesnar does as he's told as long as you pay him. I think that Vince also likes the chase and sometimes favours wrestlers who play hard to get.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Lesnar played and won the game of wrestling. I don’t like his booking, but this is a guy who’s a fan of pro wrestling, made a name for himself elsewhere and came back to bend Vince over for huge money and limited dates. Anyone else would do the same.

He also sparks interest, is legit as hell, and is fun to watch when he’s not full on suplex city.

Keep the title off him, make him a star attraction to do a couple of big matches a year and I’m happy.

If the Saudi match isn’t him cashing in, then I suspect he cashes in on the first episode after the move to Fox and sets up — sigh — Lesnar vs. Roman part infinity at Wrestlemania.

Reactions: KIRK

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Its because regardless if ppl agree or disagree... Brock Lesnar is the biggest name in pro wrestling. Bottom line.. Dude is a big star. U ask a random person on the the street.. They know who Brock is.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The thing is that Brock is NOT that limited that drives me crazy. His stuff from 02-04 happened. I thought we would be getting that guy back.
We kind of did but he reinvented himself to be more legit following UFC. It worked. His return match vs. Cena was awesome minus the dumb ending.

It’s actually shocking how stupidly they booked Brock upon his return. One win in his first three matches, including an unnecessary series with Triple H.

His performance vs. Punk was amazing. His Taker win set him on the path he should have been on in 2012 when he returned as an undefeated monster (I would have had him undefeated for years if I was booking).

And then suplex city happened. And it was fun and awesome for 6 months. But then he realized he could coast on it and only ever moved away from it when he was invested in the guys he was working with, like Joe, AJ, Bryan and Bálor.

There’s two Brocks imo. The one who’s not invested when working with Roman 500 times and is being booked to have 6 F5s kicked out of or working with Strowman, and then the guys he trusts to make shit look good, hit him hard and give him a fun match, like the smaller guys or Samoa Joe.

I think the biggest mistake they ever made was making the crowd believe he didn’t give a damn about the business. It was only then where people got sick of him. Suplex Cory was still over before they were saying those things on TV. This is a guy who’s said he loves wrestling, a guy who didn’t want to end Taker’s streak and was emotional about it in that WWE 24 special of WM30. He’s just a smart businessman in the process and did things to raise his value to put himself in a position that EVERYONE else in the business would love to be in.

I personally don’t dislike Brock himself and his work. I hate his booking. I hate the way they structure his matches, using the WM Roman match as an example again where Roman kicked out of 6 F5s. They botched his booking from his very return imho.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The thing is that Brock is NOT that limited that drives me crazy. His stuff from 02-04 happened. I thought we would be getting that guy back.

this.

I love Brock, the problem is his match booking. They keep putting him in these garbage "just go hit 20 finishers on each other for 5 min then get out" matches.

Lesnar himself is a damn good worker, and has far more athleticism than a man his size rightfully should. He can go with anyone in the company.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
this.

I love Brock, the problem is his match booking. They keep putting him in these garbage "just go hit 20 finishers on each other for 5 min then get out" matches.

Lesnar himself is a damn good worker, and has far more athleticism than a man his size rightfully should. He can go with anyone in the company.
Lesnar is a once in a lifetime athlete imo. His combination can’t be matched.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Lesnar played and won the game of wrestling. I don’t like his booking, but this is a guy who’s a fan of pro wrestling, made a name for himself elsewhere and came back to bend Vince over for huge money and limited dates. Anyone else would do the same.

He also sparks interest, is legit as hell, and is fun to watch when he’s not full on suplex city.

Keep the title off him, make him a star attraction to do a couple of big matches a year and I’m happy.

If the Saudi match isn’t him cashing in, then I suspect he cashes in on the first episode after the move to Fox and sets up — sigh — Lesnar vs. Roman part infinity at Wrestlemania.

This here. You really can't fault the guy for having a brain financially and constantly out-carnying the big carny, especially after all the **** Vince put him through when he left the last time, but god damn he's losing drawing power because of dumb crap like they pulled last night.

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
What does Vince see in this guy?

A part timer with a limited repertoire of moves, yet he gets more mulligans than a miniature golfer, doesn't seem to have undeniable passion and desire, is in it for the money.... yet Vince seemingly can't quit this guy, like a smoker who can't get over his addiction

I don’t get it. Why is this guy getting so many chances?

Like, Vince couldn't even make it TWO MONTHS without this guy around. God forbid we don't have to hear Heyman and his tiresome promos.......

He brings in casual fans and more mainstream coverage than anyone currently in the company. That means he brings in HEAPS of $$$ for Vince. There's your answer.

I don't like it either.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Its because regardless if ppl agree or disagree... Brock Lesnar is the biggest name in pro wrestling. Bottom line.. Dude is a big star. U ask a random person on the the street.. They know who Brock is.

How many of those random people actually watch?

Not many.

Brock is a star. We all know that. He also works a couple handfuls on dates per year. So, don't build your weekly show around a guy who works every 6th week.

Use him as the attraction he is. Guys going toe-to-toe with Brock, but still losing, still helps put them over. That's the role Brock should play

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I get the appeal of Brock as a draw. His fight have that 'big fight' feel to them, and legitimacy as a form ufc champ. Plus the occasional nature of them....it makes every lesnar match feel like an 'event'

But thats exactly why they shouldn't keep putting the belt on him. Its not needed. Its why the undertaker didn't have the belt a lot despite always being a top guy

Reactions: Cor

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
How many of those random people actually watch?

Not many.

Brock is a star. We all know that. He also works a couple handfuls on dates per year. So, don't build your weekly show around a guy who works every 6th week.

Use him as the attraction he is. Guys going toe-to-toe with Brock, but still losing, still helps put them over. That's the role Brock should play

Thats irrelevant. In a fake sport where outcomes are pre determined... Brock is the man. Why are u assuming hes winning the belt? Maybe what happens is he goes to cash in but a bunch of guys come out and stop that from happening. Brock is mainstream.. Hes known outside of pro wrestling.. That is why he is pushed... Also because Vince likes to piss off the marks and knows having Brock win will do that.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Thats irrelevant. In a fake sport where outcomes are pre determined... Brock is the man. Why are u assuming hes winning the belt? Maybe what happens is he goes to cash in but a bunch of guys come out and stop that from happening. Brock is mainstream.. Hes known outside of pro wrestling.. That is why he is pushed... Also because Vince likes to piss off the marks and knows having Brock win will do that.

It’s not irrelevant.

The briefcase doesn’t help Brock. It does nothing for him. It does nothing for the company.

A guy like Andrade, a guy like McIntyre, heck, even Balor or Ali, could be elevated by the briefcase.

Brock is such a star, he doesn’t need to be pushed. Every match he has, every 3 months when he gets in the ring, is a main event level match. It’s the same reason Taker didn’t have the belt often.

The briefcase or the title is not a “push” for Brock. It doesn’t make him any more legitimate. It just hurts the product.

Example: the Universal Championship.

He’s held that thing for 80% of its life, and it’s a joke of a title because of it.

This is why the WWE can’t build new stars, because they rely on part-timers consistently.

If you can’t see why like, 90% of the audience have an issue with this booking, there’s no point in discussing it, because you’re just apart of the minority that thinks WWE is the crown jewel of the wrestling world

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He brings in casual fans and more mainstream coverage than anyone currently in the company. That means he brings in HEAPS of $$$ for Vince. There's your answer.

I don't like it either.

Viewership declined consistently while Brock was champion.

No one brings in casuals anymore. The product needs to be the draw these days, not individuals.

Also, he’s not even one of the top merch movers

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
- New prime-time contract with Fox
- Ratings sliding + arrival of AEW on TNT
- Saudi Arabia $$$

Stuff like this is why Triple H is frustrated yet can't do anything about it. It's Vince company and will be until he dies.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Lesnar would have a lot more value if buying individual PPV's were still a thing.

He also never should have lost to HHH or Cena.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad