Explain my stuffed nose pls

ACLEVERNAME

No content.
Jan 6, 2010
Oof...
I have a standard cold. I get this cold 2-4 times a year depending on how I'm doing - usually once in the Spring and once in the Fall.

Always it begins in the nose (stuffed), works it's way to the throat (soar), and ends in the lungs (heavy cough).

What I'm wondering right now is how exactly a 'stuffed' nose actually works? How is it that I can lay down in bed with one or both of my nostrils completely clogged with absolutely no air-flow, and still feel a seemingly completely random shift in pressure from nostril to nostril? It isn't a gravity thing ( lower nostril may open first when laying on the side), and it has nothing to do with one airway working better than the other (they'll switch almost at random).
And no matter how much I blow my nose, the results are always a surprise.

Is there a snot marble rolling around my nasal cavity? Is it gravity, the air pressure, or the ether?

Explain my stuffed nose pls.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
It's the booger elves, moving your snot from one nostril to the other. What you perceive as a "completely random shift" is due to which crew is on duty and their collective mood. Medicine is largely a social science, you know.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I have a standard cold. I get this cold 2-4 times a year depending on how I'm doing - usually once in the Spring and once in the Fall.

Always it begins in the nose (stuffed), works it's way to the throat (soar), and ends in the lungs (heavy cough).

What I'm wondering right now is how exactly a 'stuffed' nose actually works? How is it that I can lay down in bed with one or both of my nostrils completely clogged with absolutely no air-flow, and still feel a seemingly completely random shift in pressure from nostril to nostril? It isn't a gravity thing ( lower nostril may open first when laying on the side), and it has nothing to do with one airway working better than the other (they'll switch almost at random).
And no matter how much I blow my nose, the results are always a surprise.

Is there a snot marble rolling around my nasal cavity? Is it gravity, the air pressure, or the ether?

Explain my stuffed nose pls.
Ask mommy to put on vicks vapour rub before bed.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
So what you are experiencing is what's known as the "nasal cycle". Normally one side of the nose will swell and the other will open up and then switch back and forth ever few hours. When you're not sick, you probably pay no attention to this(as Im typing this I notice my right nostril is the open one now) but when you have a cold the effect becomes more pronounced.

And if you do use the Vicks, dont use it for more than 2 days or you'll get addicted.

Reactions: AndersonCondo

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
And if you do use the Vicks, dont use it for more than 2 days or you'll get addicted.
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad