Expensive high end mouthguards

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
I've always used those cheap $4 mouthguards that are sold in pretty much every sporting goods store where you just boil them and mold them to your teeth. Well last week I got hit pretty badly and my mouthguard flew out of my mouth, when I picked it up there was this nasty hair on it so I definitely wasn't going to stick it back in my mouth so I ended up playing the rest of the game without a mouth guard and all I can say is WOW. I had double the endurance, I wasn't gasping for air after a tough shift, I was able to skate hard the whole game, I was able to breathe so well, and I was a lot faster on the ice. I've never experienced this before because i've ALWAYS played with mouthguards which restrict my air flow.

I know there are some pretty expensive mouth guards like $50+ and they're supposed to allow lot's of breathability and whatnot... which one is the best and also the least bulky?

Thanks

PK*

I got one custom made by my orthodontist for $40 US. Can't get any better than this.

Look for a place where they make dentures and they should be able to make a mouthguard for you.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I'm a moron and don't use a mouthguard, but my friend swears by his custom mouthguard. I tried a shock doctor, and it just didn't give me the comfort I need. Maybe I should go for a custom one...

night-timer

Apr 26, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I also use the el-cheapo boil-and-fit jobs. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I saw a black mouthguard used by boxers. It looked the biz and had plenty of airflow and plenty of serious protection.

Only problem, it didn't have the plastic 'loop' that attaches to your face cage (coz boxers obviously don't wear 'em).

If you are happy using a loose, unattached mouthguard, maybe do a Google search for boxing mouthguards. This may help.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

May 15, 2003
E-town
I always used the cheap ones, but I cut the end of the guard a decent amount so I had more room at the back of my mouth to breathe. No problem.

Having a loose mouth guard also shouldn't be that big of a deal. I always found those looped ones incredibly annoying.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Shock Doctor's most expensive is around $20. One good thing about them is you are also purcahsing Dental Insurance when you buy the mouthguard.

Jakethesnake

May 27, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
Seriously, go to a dentist. Once you put in a custom moulded mouthguard, you will never go back. There really is no comparison. Moulded guards will NEVER get knocked out; they are so well fitted that you actually have to pull them from your upper jaw - they will never fall out. Breathing problems are nonexistant. If you ever hear, "I have to bite down to keep it in", "I cant breathe with it in", its always about the shock doctors, you never get this in properly moulded ones. I cant pimp these things enough, I switched a few years ago and am angry i used a ****** one.

And no, im not a dentist.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
My only qualm with the custom is the fact I wear a cage combo. I'm not worried about my teeth being knocked out anymore. I wear the non custom ones cause I'm pretty sure those prevent concussions much better than the custom ones from the dentist. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't know how much lower jaw impact could those dentist ones absorb. I can't wear J-Clips with my cage since it dosen't fit, so concussion is what I'm worried aobut.

Those Rbk ons look nice since they are somewhat customizable...but they got cheaper ones that are exactly like that. Think it's at like custommouthguards.com or something like that.

Vomiting Kermit*

I ordered a Reebok SmartMouth Custom ($35 =\)... wish I didn't. I put the custom fitting gel in and it never hardened... it wouldn't have done a damn thing had it worked properly anyway.

I'm using a Shock Doctor now... fits perfectly. :)

night-timer

Apr 26, 2006
Sydney, Australia
danny.7i said:
I ordered a Reebok SmartMouth Custom ($35 =\)... wish I didn't. I put the custom fitting gel in and it never hardened... it wouldn't have done a damn thing had it worked properly anyway.

--- It's gotta be better than the one I'm currently using. RBK is generally considered the highest grade of product. But Shock Doctor have been around a long time, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad