Speculation: Expendable Prospects

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
As it's been documented many times, when the Jets first arrived here the prospect cupboard was pretty grim. Fast forward several years/drafts and the cupboards are looking much better now, the future is looking pretty good. Along the road many of our prospects have been given a very good look, some multi call ups. My question is what prospects are we confident that do not fit into our teams future and would be first on the trade bait list?

I'll start with Patrice Cormier, he's now 24 and been given multi serious chances to make our team and hasn't been able to ever do it. I don't see him as anything more than a 4th line banger at most and he can't even make on the Jets who has had one of the worse 4th lines in the NHL.

While I don't think we could get much for him, he might be a guy we could add into a trade with another bigger piece as a sweetener. Maybe he can make something happen on another team.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Every team has a Cormier type in their cupboard. The problem with this board, not just the Jets but all teams, is that most prospect systems are about 80% the same. Some teams have more high-end prospects, or are more effective at developing young players, but the talent levels are more or less equal. Cormier has nothing that other team's don't already have in their system. People feel that their prospects at this level are "better" than the ones in the other systems.

Rather than being an expendable prospect, he's one of many that's probably not good enough to carve out a decent NHL career, or even a floundering one. He's call-up depth that eventually gets swapped for other call-up depth for a prospect. There are quite a few prospects that are in the same position, like Melchiori, or Chiarot, or Klingberg, that are tweeners at best. They have no trade bait value apart from very late round picks, so you trade them to pick a much younger player who has an overwhelmingly high chance to turn out just like the guy they traded away.

Last edited:

Dirty30

Feb 12, 2012
Cormier can replace Slater when he ends up missing half the year to injuries. I could see him being the fourth line center next season. He's fantastic on face offs.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
As it's been documented many times, when the Jets first arrived here the prospect cupboard was pretty grim. Fast forward several years/drafts and the cupboards are looking much better now, the future is looking pretty good. Along the road many of our prospects have been given a very good look, some multi call ups. My question is what prospects are we confident that do not fit into our teams future and would be first on the trade bait list?

I'll start with Patrice Cormier, he's now 24 and been given multi serious chances to make our team and hasn't been able to ever do it. I don't see him as anything more than a 4th line banger at most and he can't even make on the Jets who has had one of the worse 4th lines in the NHL.

While I don't think we could get much for him, he might be a guy we could add into a trade with another bigger piece as a sweetener. Maybe he can make something happen on another team.

No one wants Cormier. You said yourself he can't make the Jets who have an abysmal bottom end. If he was 4 years younger maybe, at this point you kind of know what you'll get. The guy is a journeyman AHLer. Has pretty much no trade value. Guys like him are waiver wire fodder.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Cormier can replace Slater when he ends up missing half the year to injuries. I could see him being the fourth line center next season. He's fantastic on face offs.

True, he might be able to do that, but then again ideally we want more from our 4th line. Maybe

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Expendable- pretty much anyone down in St John's with more than 3 yrs of pro experience, IMO. If any team wants one of those guys as a throw in, good luck.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Cormier has had sufficient chances and done absolutely nothing. I don't know why he was even invited to camp, honestly. He is in no way a prospect. Or at least I certainly hope not.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Cormier has had sufficient chances and done absolutely nothing. I don't know why he was even invited to camp, honestly. He is in no way a prospect. Or at least I certainly hope not.

Yeah the 4-5 minutes he got in games playing with Thornburn, Wright, Tangradi, Peluso or what other slug was on the 4th line at the time should have garnered him a couple points per game (at least)!:sarcasm:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Yeah the 4-5 minutes he got in games playing with Thornburn, Wright, Tangradi, Peluso or what other slug was on the 4th line at the time should have garnered him a couple points per game (at least)!:sarcasm:

He scored about twice as many points per minute played last year than O'Dell did.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

49 NHL games, 1 goal, 5 points over several years and never did much in the AHL either. He has shown that he is a relatively safe player to insert in case of injury. A professional player. That's about it.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
49 NHL games, 1 goal, 5 points over several years and never did much in the AHL either. He has shown that he is a relatively safe player to insert in case of injury. A professional player. That's about it.

Garret would show the corsi numbers, but I'm ok with him being a stop-gap (i.e. doesn't hurt the team) even if it means he's not helping the team score goals.

4th line bangers with good corsi can at least lower the chances against, right?

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Heck, if you're going to use Corsi, using it on 4th line players is a decent idea. Why not take the importance of "Intangibles" away considering they're not doing much of anything but banging and trying to prevent scoring chances? If they're skating around at 50% corsi the entire year, I think that's a win.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
The problem is that even though our prospect cupboard is now refilled, our active roster is still below average. That means, we will basically be pulling one or two prospects out to replace 1 or 2 roster players for the next few seasons as well. Only once we have a very good competitive team will we begin to see an abundance of "expendable prospects" that have some trade value that we could afford to trade. For now, any of our top prospects need to be groomed to be graduated to improve our actual roster.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
My question is what prospects are we confident that do not fit into our teams future and would be first on the trade bait list?

The majority of players have no trade value. Trade value comes with draft picks, high quality prospects and other players who are deemed to be have fair contracts. Our only "trade bait" is the guys we don't want to lose like Trouba, Scheifs, Lowry, Morrissey. Even decent prospects like Comrie, Kosmo, Petan would have little to no trade value.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad