1) Canada
2) Czech Republic
3) USA
4) Finland
5) Sweden
6) Slovakia
7) Russia
8) Germany
A bronze for the boy's!!! Get them to skate hard and make thier chancses.then yes,maybe more.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
SectionX said:
I just read that the americans has NEVER won the worldchampionchips. They should be really motivated to win one.

That's wrong, they won the 1933 worlds, as well as the 1960 olympics, which also counted as a world championnship tournament.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
A bronze for the boy's!!! Get them to skate hard and make thier chancses.then yes,maybe more.

I figure the U.S. team this year is better than the one last year, and while the competition has also improved, a good effort (a little bit of good fortune) could result in a medal.

BHLCommish

Apr 9, 2004
Slovakia is being severely underrated, Chara will play tons of minutes, they have the most skilled top 2 lines in the tournament with two good checking lines, most if not all of their players have played this year, and Stana has had a solid season facing a lot of quality NHL shooters playing in Slovakia.

No way do they finish 5th or 6th behind Sweden or the USA as some are speculating, they have arguably a superior, more experienced forward group than Russia, a better defense and superior goaltending.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
I think Slovakia has been "underrated" more because of their actual play of late than the amazing list of names they can put up. Nobody would underestimate them if they would just be the names on paper, but when the team loses to denmark, and have problems winning the other games as well...people tend to think twice.

Nobody is questioning the great roster Slovakia has....pretty much everyone is questioning how they perform as a team. We shall see. :dunno:

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
I am very afraid of how will Slovakia's defense do. Chara will get probably about 25 to 30 minutes of action and that's a lot for this short tournament (games every two days).

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Finn said:
so are you saying that just because the roster is not filled with NHL players that they won't do good? If you don't think they'll do good then that's cool but if the only reason you have for it is the fact that you don't know the players then whatever

No, I am saying that the general rule of thumb is the most talented guys are usually NHLers or part time NHLers or at least, fairly well known nationally. I said usually. I mean, Czech Republic was something like a 20-1 longshot to win the 1998 Olympics, but they had the then best goalie on earth, so it overcame the fact that some other teams had more depth. I'm not omnipotent, but you'd think that if guys were really dominating in Europe, you'd read about it in The Hockey News.( COUGH*Oveckin/Malkin*COUGH)

Camshaft77

Jan 3, 2005
Ontario
This is going to be a great tournament with alot of strong squads. Thankfully Tsn is covering not just the Canada games but also some of the USA games and all elimination games.

1) Canada, strong all around have to play their best.
2) Czech, great skill and goaltending; can't rely on Jagr too much everyone needs to produce
3)Sweden, always a medal threat no matter who they have, will get Tellquivst during the tournament.
4)Russia, great skill, goaltending will let them down tho
5) Slovakia, great forwards and Chara but goaltending and rest of defense can't handle the top 3 in a quarters match ( could get 4th if they get Russia in an elimination games)
6)Finland, missing top 2 goalies and top 3 forwards, its gonna be tough for them but they could suprise with a few top notch performances.
7) USA, too high of expectations will hurt this team especially if they get the Czechs or Sweden in the quarters.
8) Swiss, NHL goalies get them this far, offensive is going to struggle.

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
1. Canada (best Canadian roster ever sent to this tournament)
2. Russia (improved team chemistry compared to previous years, many great stars)
3. USA (see Canada)
4. Czech Republic (a strong team, similar to the WC team)
5. Finland (a solid team, especially with guys like Jokinen)
6. Sweden (not as loaded as the last few years, underdogs (which is a Swedish specialty))
7. Slovakia (good on paper, but my prediction is based on their recent losses to Sweden and especially Denmark. Chara and Hossa will improve the team though).
8. Latvia (a fun team to watch, always with great fan support in the arena, they get my vote for the 8th spot this year)

This was actually pretty hard to predict, any team could do better or worse than I predicted, I found especially spots 3 thru 7 hard to predict.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Latvia can't be in the Top 8 together with all the big-7-nations. If they advance they will be in a qualifying group with USA, Canada, Sweden and Finland and only four of those can advance to the quarterfinals.

SChan*

stv11 said:
That's wrong, they won the 1933 worlds, as well as the 1960 olympics, which also counted as a world championnship tournament.

ok in the MODERN era then.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Nice to see so many people put Finland as high as 7-8 spot. Here's hoping to see some surprised (perhaps even dismayed) people ;)

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Boucicaut said:
Nice to see so many people put Finland as high as 7-8 spot. Here's hoping to see some surprised (perhaps even dismayed) people ;)

I dont have that much faith in the roster either, but ranking Finland that low is sure quite ignorant. The team is good, despite the fact that we lack like 13 top players and the goalies are maybe our 6th best or so. Still...Finland will have the best legs in the tournament (that means they will outskate every opponent) and it will be very disciplined hockey. Most people who rank Finland even below Germany have absolutely no clue about the players Finland has in that roster, and make silly assumptions based on that.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
BASED on what was SHOWN after each team played one game:

Gold: Putting together a team game.
Silver: Showing many aspects, with some weaknesses
Bronze: talented but not putting it together yet
Honorable mention: Good at some things but pretty green still

1. Czech Republic
2. Finland
3. USA

4. Canada
5. Slovakia
6. Sweden

7. Russia
8. Belarus

9. Austria
10. Denmark
11. Kazakhstan
12. Germany

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Except you can't have all four teams from the A group in the top 12. Drop Austria or Belarus and add Latvia or Slovenia.

Feb 24, 2004
VanIslander said:
BASED on what was SHOWN after each team played one game:

Gold: Putting together a team game.
Silver: Showing many aspects, with some weaknesses
Bronze: talented but not putting it together yet
Honorable mention: Good at some things but pretty green still

1. Czech Republic
2. Finland
3. USA

4. Canada
5. Slovakia
6. Sweden

7. Russia
8. Belarus

9. Austria
10. Denmark
11. Kazakhstan
12. Germany

Prior to the tournaments starting, my point has always been that the best team on paper should win. That is usually Canada. As in every sport however, there are always extraneous variables that can affect results, especially in ths lockout year.

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
after today I whould rank the top 8 like this:

Canada
USA
Czech
Russia
Sweden
Finland
Slovakia
Switzerland

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
wassup77 said:
after today I whould rank the top 8 like this:

Canada
USA
Czech
Russia
Sweden
Finland

Slovakia
Switzerland

yeah cuz sweden played better than finland in their first games :shakehead

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
Finn said:
yeah cuz sweden played better than finland in their first games :shakehead

Well, yes...Its hard to play Ukraine when the referee is stoned :shakehead

I don't understand how Finland could have sucha big problems scoring against Denmark though. I think Sweden has better offensive talent than the Finnish team :teach:

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
wassup77 said:
Well, yes...Its hard to play Ukraine when the referee is stoned :shakehead

I don't understand how Finland could have sucha big problems scoring against Denmark though. I think Sweden has better offensive talent than the Finnish team :teach:

Denmarks goalie played great, and if I understand correctly then what you're saying is hey it was all the refs fault... sweden played excellent the refs just made them look bad.... and if that is the case then I am not going to even argue with you as that is something I'd expect someone to say after losing a pee wee house game. Sweden may have a better offense than Finland, but that doesn't mean they rank above Finland especially since they played worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->