Expected Finish of Top Eight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Don't know if this thread has been started elsewhere, but I'm gonna take a shot at making a prediction about the top eight spots by the end of the medals round:

1) Canada
2) USA
3) Russia
4) Czech Republic
5) Slovakia
6) Sweden
7) Finland
8) Germany

Anyone beg to differ???

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Yeah. I like several teams chances more than the USA this time around.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
mine would go as

gold medal game
Canada vs. Czech Republic (with the Czechs winning)

3) Slovakia
4) USA
5) Sweden
6) Russia
7) Germany
8) Finland

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
CIsle said:
Don't know if this thread has been started elsewhere, but I'm gonna take a shot at making a prediction about the top eight spots by the end of the medals round:

1) Canada
2) USA
3) Russia
4) Czech Republic
5) Slovakia
6) Sweden
7) Finland
8) Germany

Anyone beg to differ???

Here is my official picks

1.Canada Depth, proven goaltending
2.Russia A little young, and who is in net? Still strong, tho
3.Czech Republic Always a force. Vokoun's a decent goalie
4.Slovakia see above, ranked fourth 'cos not sure about goal
5.USA Not as strong as some years
6.Finland Can't recognize any roster names
7.Sweden Most big stars opt out
8.Germany The weak sister

I am going to say + - 2 for for 4 of the top 5 teams. That is to say, it wouldn't be a complete shock to me if they moved up or down two points in rankings.

USA only I'd say +3 . That is, I give them an outside chance to finish as high as second, and doubt they'll drop below fifth.

Germany, barring a disaster from one of the other teams will finish 8th. Sweden and Finland I'd say could go as high as 5.
Clear as mud? GOOD
;)

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Hey folks, cool to see some quick replies!

I think every team has good players and some difference makers, especially the top 7 teams, but consider.....

Team USA..... they may have young goaltending and a young defense, but this IS the best line-up they've had in years for a WM, mostly due to there not having been an NHL season. I'd like to say that about many teams, but don't forget that Sweden is without a ton of players including Forsberg, Naslund and Lidstrom and Finland is without their top 2 goaltenders AND Selanne & Koivu, their heart-n-soul guys. Russia too is without a bunch of guys one would normally consider go-to players and the Czech Republic is missing Elias-Land-Hejduk, three of their absolute top players. Slovakia is always dangerous, but as many names as they have up front, there are that many holes on defense and in goal.

Canada is really the team that has the best doggone lineup all around, from top-to-bottom, but I'd be surprised if ANY other nation has a group of forwards as versatile as the USA, and aside from maybe Canada's Luongo, Dipietro is probably the goalie in this tournament with the most promising next 10 years of his career ahead of him. He alone could make the difference. In addition, seeing how comparable Luongo and Dipietro are in their importance, particularly Islander fans should be fascinated by this.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
octopi said:
Here is my official picks

1.Canada Depth, proven goaltending
2.Russia A little young, and who is in net? Still strong, tho
3.Czech Republic Always a force. Vokoun's a decent goalie
4.Slovakia see above, ranked fourth 'cos not sure about goal
5.USA Not as strong as some years
6.Finland Can't recognize any roster names
7.Sweden Most big stars opt out
8.Germany The weak sister

I am going to say + - 2 for for 4 of the top 5 teams. That is to say, it wouldn't be a complete shock to me if they moved up or down two points in rankings.

USA only I'd say +3 . That is, I give them an outside chance to finish as high as second, and doubt they'll drop below fifth.

Germany, barring a disaster from one of the other teams will finish 8th. Sweden and Finland I'd say could go as high as 5.
Clear as mud? GOOD
;)

so are you saying that just because the roster is not filled with NHL players that they won't do good? If you don't think they'll do good then that's cool but if the only reason you have for it is the fact that you don't know the players then whatever

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
re:

Finn said:
so are you saying that just because the roster is not filled with NHL players that they won't do good? If you don't think they'll do good then that's cool but if the only reason you have for it is the fact that you don't know the players then whatever

Any NHL fan should be able to recognize Olli Jokinen & Kimmo Timonen. So there are at least 2 players on this team that are near the top in NHL talent. However, that being said... 2 is not much compared to what Canada, Sweden, Slovakia, Chzeks, Russia etc.. have in this tournament. We will see if the blue collar players (which some are very good) can make this thing happen for Finland. :sarcasm:

Crossroads*

CIsle said:

1) Canada
2) USA
3) Russia
4) Czech Republic
5) Slovakia
6) Sweden
7) Finland
8) Germany

Anyone beg to differ???

I do :)

1) Canada
2) Czech Republic
3) Russia
4) Slovakia
5) USA
6) Sweden
7) Germany
8) Finland

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Everyone has their right to an opinion. That said, ranking Germany over Finland is ridiculous nonsense.

1. Canada
2. Czech
3. Russia
4. Finland
5. Sweden
6. Slovakia
7. USA
8. Germany

Latvia might do some damage this year.

Ok ok, given the fact that Finland has a no-name roster for some foreigners I can understand the attitude, but people who have watched international hockey for more than 5 years should know names like Peltonen and Kallio pretty well.

I predict that the 1st line of Finland will be the second best in point production, shadowed only by Thorntons line.

Last edited:

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
psycho_dad said:
Everyone has their right to an opinion. That said, ranking Germany over Finland is ridiculous nonsense.

4 teams will lose in the quarterfinals anyway, and since they don't play games for 5th and 7th place it is very possible that Germany finishes ahead one of the big nations. It depends only on a quarterfinal result. But still, I wouldn't rank Germany over Finland too.

SChan*

I just read that the americans has NEVER won the worldchampionchips. They should be really motivated to win one.

espo*

Kronblom said:
1) Czech Republic
2) Canada
3) Russia
4) Sweden
5) Slovakia
6) USA
7) Finland
8) Switzerland
You may be right,big skating tournament this year,that's where those guys excel,that and the powerplay,they want to be there and so would I.Super skilled players from a small place.How do they do it? I'm going there some day to find out!!!.And then...make that work to our advantage....Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad