Expectations: What are they?

dscott

Mar 1, 2014
The expectations at this point are tough I'd say. So far it's been the signature hockey you'd expect from Calgary; hard work and a tough team to play against. We're almost a quarter of the way into the season which is a good sample size.

Even when we have crucial injuries (3 of our 4 top centres) are out, we continue to perform extremely well.

Ultimately, I believe our success on the year relies on the health and play of our top 4 dmen, the goaltending (well mainly Hiller.. Ramo seems to be getting put in the back burner now), and the emerging skill of our young guns (Gaudreau, Jooris, Granlund, Monny, etc.) .

What I love is that there's always a great effort, the games are extremely entertaining, and they are competitive. Even if we don't remain as hot as we do now, we have a great future ahead.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
The expectations at this point are tough I'd say. So far it's been the signature hockey you'd expect from Calgary; hard work and a tough team to play against. We're almost a quarter of the way into the season which is a good sample size.

Even when we have crucial injuries (3 of our 4 top centres) are out, we continue to perform extremely well.

Ultimately, I believe our success on the year relies on the health and play of our top 4 dmen, the goaltending (well mainly Hiller.. Ramo seems to be getting put in the back burner now), and the emerging skill of our young guns (Gaudreau, Jooris, Granlund, Monny, etc.) .

What I love is that there's always a great effort, the games are extremely entertaining, and they are competitive. Even if we don't remain as hot as we do now, we have a great future ahead.

The above is a great summary, and gets a 10/10 from me.

It's extremely hard (if not impossible) to access the Flames changes right now.

On the one hand, we have lots of points, which is very good.

On the other hand, we have the advanced analytic guys telling us that the Flames rank 29th (ahead of only Buffalo) in the advanced possession stats, and that our wins simply cannot continue in the face of such analytic stats.

We need to see how more of the season plays out.

If you have an established team winning at it's expected pace and the analytic guys say that it's possession stats are in line with its record, it's easy to predict the future.

With the Flames, that's simply not possible. So, we need to enjoy what we have and watch a hard working team try and buck the odds.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Analytics = Bible ?

Here's some numbers to, what if I told you the Flames were 8th overall in the league in Goals for average per game, and their goals against was 13th best in the NHL. If they maintain those numbers would a logical person not come to the conclusion that the Flames will be a playoff team? Goals, in my humble opinion is a much better indicator of predicting wins and losses.

Now with that said, I still don't "expect" us to be a playoff team. Although it wouldn't completely shock me at this point either, my main point being from my example above is there is a ton more to the games than just the numbers. They give you understanding of what has been happening but there is so much more to the game than just that.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Analytics = Bible ?

Here's some numbers to, what if I told you the Flames were 8th overall in the league in Goals for average per game, and their goals against was 13th best in the NHL. If they maintain those numbers would a logical person not come to the conclusion that the Flames will be a playoff team? Goals, in my humble opinion is a much better indicator of predicting wins and losses.

Now with that said, I still don't "expect" us to be a playoff team. Although it wouldn't completely shock me at this point either, my main point being from my example above is there is a ton more to the games than just the numbers. They give you understanding of what has been happening but there is so much more to the game than just that.

Nah they are trash.

I am kidding! Muahahahaha!

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Analytics = Bible ?

:clap:

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

Goals for and against are a pretty good predictor of wins and loses during the times of those goals.

Present goal differential is a pretty good indicator of future success, but (especially with small sample sizes) there are more accurate numbers to use. Analytics likie possesion stats has proven to be a better indicator of predictive behaviour than goals differential.

No team in the history of analytics has made the playoffs with the current possesion stats of the Flames.

I think it's safe to say that unless the Flames improve on that stat, they will not make the playoffs.

And there has been improvement as the season has gone along in possesion stats, but they are still a long way off.

Presently, based on winning percentage, Calgary is a wild card team. They are 3 games above .500. Chicago and San Jose are the other 2 contending wild card teams, both 2 games above .500. That's how close they are presently out of the playoffs. If Calgary had one additional loss added to its record (without subtracting a win), they'd be 9th in the West.

Beleafer19

Apr 25, 2013
Leaf fan here. Just wanted to say I love what the Flames are doing. I'm a little jealous that Burke is doing a proper rebuild here and screwed it up in Toronto. Love Monahan, he will be great. On top of this I think Hiller will win you enough games to make the playoffs and I'll be cheering for you guys for sure. Funny how Edmonton still hasn't figured it out, they should have been all over Hiller cause Scrivens is not a number 1. Good luck this year.

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
Obviously I want us to win the cup for its own reasons, but a large chunk of me hopes we win the cup this year just to see what would happen to the oilers :sarcasm:

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Leaf fan here. Just wanted to say I love what the Flames are doing. I'm a little jealous that Burke is doing a proper rebuild here and screwed it up in Toronto. Love Monahan, he will be great. On top of this I think Hiller will win you enough games to make the playoffs and I'll be cheering for you guys for sure. Funny how Edmonton still hasn't figured it out, they should have been all over Hiller cause Scrivens is not a number 1. Good luck this year.

You put Hillier in front of the Edmonton defence, and have Scrivens being backed up by the Flames defences, and you'd see it's not just the goaltender.

I asked a well know analytics man if the Oilers would be playoff team with Giardano and Brodie on the team. he laughed and said that Giardano alone would likely make them a playoff team.

Ashera

Bärtschi Fan~!!
Nov 16, 2013
Airdrie
Expectations?

I want hard work every night. I want skill levels to transcend what TSN reports. I want Flames hockey.

I've been pleased thus far. Go Hartley!

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
You put Hillier in front of the Edmonton defence, and have Scrivens being backed up by the Flames defences, and you'd see it's not just the goaltender.

I asked a well know analytics man if the Oilers would be playoff team with Giardano and Brodie on the team. he laughed and said that Giardano alone would likely make them a playoff team.

img_1123.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad