Expectations of Yzerman's First Year

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
What kind of knowledge could we expect about Russian hockey and Russian players in such a move?

No doubt Yzerman has found success drafting high impact Russians from his time in Tampa. I'm sure it could only help to bring a guy like Fedorov on board. But... How exactly? Like he knows which players plan on staying in the KHL or plan on making the jump? He'd be better at liaising with them to get them to come? Russian undrafted free agents?

In the end, it's money that doesn't impact the cap and I don't see how it could hurt. Do it. Retire the number. Don't most of the fans want that anyway? Bring on this nostalgia tour with Stevie and Sergei and hell get Ozzy in there and let's do this. Then let's get to work.
Im not sure I agree with the bolded, I can see more people being against it. He was only in Detroit for about half his professional career as it is. Getting your number in the rafters has always required a super high standard and I think it should stay that way. If Feds number goes up you might as well put Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Ozzy, and Kronwall up there also. Draper has probably done more for the oragization then Feds while having more active playing years for the Wings as well. I get Feds was the most dominant player on the ice a lot of nights, but I think it comes down to the entire picture, not just the peak.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Im not sure I agree with the bolded, I can see more people being against it. He was only in Detroit for about half his professional career as it is. Getting your number in the rafters has always required a super high standard and I think it should stay that way. If Feds number goes up you might as well put Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Ozzy, and Kronwall up there also. Draper has probably done more for the oragization then Feds while having more active playing years for the Wings as well. I get Feds was the most dominant player on the ice a lot of nights, but I think it comes down to the entire picture, not just the peak.

He was in Detroit for 13 of his 18 NHL seasons (72%) FWIW. That's only 2 less seasons than Zetterberg and 1 less season than Datsyuk played for the Wings. Hell, 1 less than Sawchuck and Lindsay as well.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
New connections for Russia won't hurt. That has been our obvious weakness for 2 decades after Datsyuk.

Is it Fedorov or Fetisov or both, I don't care as long as they strengthen those connections with some smart guy Yzerman knows has eye for talent.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Personally, I would want a Russian scout to be the type of guy who will go anywhere, anytime to see a potential prospect. Someone who will work his butt off to not be shown-up by another scout.

I don't think Federov fits that ideal.....unless there is a ladies tennis match in town.

Reactions: Lil Bert

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Any interest in Olli Maatta?

https://www.tsn.ca/rutherford-pens-likely-to-move-a-defenceman-1.1294958

"Of the six blueliners under contract - Kris Letang, Justin Schultz, Brian Dumoulin, Olli Maatta, Erik Gudbranson and Jack Johnson - Jason Mackey of the Post-Gazette believes Maatta is the most likely candidate for a trade.

"As Mackey notes, Maatta dressed only in Game 1 of the team's first-round series and is a left-hand shot, which the Penguins currently have an excess of.

"Maatta, 24, had one goal and 14 points with a plus-9 rating in 60 games this season while averaging 18:35 of ice time. He was a minus-2 in Game 1 against the Islanders in 18:44 of ice time.

"The 2012 first-round pick has 25 goals and 107 points in 362 career games with the Penguins. He is a two-time Stanley Cup champion and contributed two goals and eight points in 25 games in the team's run to the Cup in 2017.
Maatta carries a $4.083 million cap hit through the 2021-22 season."

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Any interest in Olli Maatta?

https://www.tsn.ca/rutherford-pens-likely-to-move-a-defenceman-1.1294958

"Of the six blueliners under contract - Kris Letang, Justin Schultz, Brian Dumoulin, Olli Maatta, Erik Gudbranson and Jack Johnson - Jason Mackey of the Post-Gazette believes Maatta is the most likely candidate for a trade.

"As Mackey notes, Maatta dressed only in Game 1 of the team's first-round series and is a left-hand shot, which the Penguins currently have an excess of.

"Maatta, 24, had one goal and 14 points with a plus-9 rating in 60 games this season while averaging 18:35 of ice time. He was a minus-2 in Game 1 against the Islanders in 18:44 of ice time.

"The 2012 first-round pick has 25 goals and 107 points in 362 career games with the Penguins. He is a two-time Stanley Cup champion and contributed two goals and eight points in 25 games in the team's run to the Cup in 2017.
Maatta carries a $4.083 million cap hit through the 2021-22 season."

No thanks

We already have enough often injured and trending downward D

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
I expect Yzerman to be much more aggressive in all facets, but mostly with trades and signing players to good contracts. Kenny is super conservative and always plays the safe card, while I see Yzerman as a guy who isnt afraid to roll the dice once in a while.
he might be a little more aggressive but his ability to get players in late rounds like cirelli and joseph and undrafted players like gourde and johnson is what he does best. eventhough he has the advantage of no state tax he does a great job handling the cap too

DocWho81

Apr 20, 2019
A buyout of one contract is possible. Unlikely, but possible. I’m thinking this year is more about Yzerman getting to know the ins and outs of what’s changed and what’s going on, a few minor tweaks-maybe-in the organization, and some normal roster turnover. We won’t really begin to see his imprint until next year, since he’ll have a whole year to prep for the draft and once again wrap his arms around the team.

Reactions: dj4aces

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->