Expectations of Yzerman's First Year

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Outside of trading off UFA's, or at least attempting to, I'm not expecting much trade-wise.

I'm just hoping he can unearth another Point-type player outside the first two rounds. Heck, even a second round Kucharov-type homerun would be great.

Just someone we can indisputably call apart of our future core that wasn't a top 15 pick.

Last edited:

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
Yzerman will improve the "russian scouting" I am sure,because the current scouts don't look in that direction at all.
They are simply not looking for a "new Datsyuk".
Who was the last Russian taken? Marchenko?

Reactions: hkydave04

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Yzerman will improve the "russian scouting" I am sure,because the current scouts don't look in that direction at all.
Svechnikov

Who was the last "new Datsyuk" drafted by an NHL team?

Reactions: kliq and Oddbob

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Outside of trading off UFA's, or at least attempting to, I'm not expecting much trade-wise.

I'm just hoping he can unearth another Point-type player outside the first two rounds. Heck, even a second round Kucharov-type homerun would be great.

Just someone we can indisputably call apart of our future core that wasn't a top 15 pick.
Is that all you want? Done.:laugh:

Reactions: ricky0034

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
The exact same roster?

I honestly dont think so. He will have his own ideas and values and will want to start enacting his plan.

Maybe his plan is the exact and as KH's and no I don't expect or want massive changes but I still do think he will make some changes to the roster

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
The one thing I would really like is for Yzerman to pull one "Quincey trade" that benefits the Wings this time.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
Svechnikov

Who was the last "new Datsyuk" drafted by an NHL team?

That's exactly my point.
They took the least talented of the two Svechnikov brothers.
About the "new Datsyuk", how about Panarin who wasn't drafted at all by NHL teams and went in and took the Calder Trophy by storm?
And he is very skillful.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
That's exactly my point.
They took the least talented of the two Svechnikov brothers.
About the "new Datsyuk", how about Panarin who wasn't drafted at all by NHL teams and went in and took the Calder Trophy by storm?
And he is very skillful.
It is not like they had the choice between the two brothers.

Panarin is flat bread compared to Datsyuk.

Reactions: kliq

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012

Svech.

Yzerman is only going to improve our russian scouting if he is able to bring some of his scouting staff from TB, namely Al Murray. There are reports that Al has a contractual out this summer since SY left the organization.... So in theory, he could come to Detroit, but not till this summer. He won't be leaving TB before the draft regardless, so it isn't going to help at all with the 19 draft.

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
Lol, you say that like they had a choice between them.
Everyone and their dog in Russia knows since Juniors that "younger Svech" is more talented. It is all about scouting.
How come TB can identify and scout Kucherov (2nd round draft choice, pfff), Gusev, Vasilevskiy, and the Detroit Red Wings can't?
Of course, people of Datsyuk caliber only come once in a life-time, but we could have easily had a reliable 30-goal tweener in Gusev any day of the year with a very little effort.
DRW could have used that draft pick on someone else.

Last edited:

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
It is not like they had the choice between the two brothers.

Panarin is flat bread compared to Datsyuk.

Panarin is not a flat bread. He can dangle in a phone booth, but he is obviously no Datsyuk. There is only one Magic Man.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Everyone and their dog in Russia knows since Juniors that "younger Svech" is more talented. It is all about scouting.
How come TB can identify and scout Kucherov (2nd round draft choice, pfff), Gusev, Vasilevskiy, and the Detroit Red Wings can't?
Of course, people of Datsyuk caliber only come once in a life-time, but we could have easily had a reliable 30-goal tweener in Gusev any day of the year with a very little effort.
How come TB can identify and scout Kucherov but they still skipped him in the first round?

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Nikita Kucherov. Late 2nd rounder, so not exactly Datsyuk crazy, but given he's a surprise top 3 player in the world, I'm counting it.
If only Yzerman new that Kucherov will be great players he would draft him at the first round. It's all about luck and distrust toward the Russians from other GMs. Time has changed. Last year it was 3 Russians go in the first round . This year going to be about the same.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
How come TB can identify and scout Kucherov but they still skipped him in the first round?

Same reason the Wings skipped Z and D until later rounds. They liked them, had them pegged on the board, but were not going to blow draft capital on players they knew wouldn't be drafted early.

There's a difference between "I think Kucherov could be a great player and I'm willing to use a 2nd on him" and a Nostradamus-like "This kid is going to lead the NHL in scoring so I'm going to draft him way ahead of his scouting reports."

The second one isn't a realistic expectation. The Wings liked Datsyuk enough to take a chance on him. They didn't know he'd become a god damn legend.

If only Yzerman new that Kucherov will be great players he would draft him at the first round. It's all about luck and distrust toward the Russians from other GMs. Time has changed. Last year it was 3 Russians go in the first round . This year going to be about the same.

See above.

Reactions: Winger98

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

What are you on about? Evgeny was available in 2015, his brother was available in 2018 and was taken before the Wings had a chance to draft him. How come almighty TB didn't draft Kucherov in the 1st round, or better yet, how come they didn't draft Sergei Fedorov?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
What are you on about? Evgeny was available in 2015, his brother was available in 2019 and was taken before the Wings had a chance to draft him. How come almighty TB didn't draft Kucherov in the 1st round, or better yet, how come they didn't draft Sergei Fedorov?

Why didn't Tampa take Sergei Fedorov?

That's an interesting question that will keep me up at night. :sarcasm:

But...... it's a complete false equivalency to compare pre fall of USSR draft picks vs now. Back then, you had real strong worries that a guy like Sergei Fedorov or Vladimir Konstantinov might not be allowed to come to America. They might want it with every fiber of their being, but if they were locked into military service, you had to do stuff like bribe a Russian official to say you were dying to get out of it.

---

Onto Kucherov

However, Tampa didn't take Kucherov in the 1st for the same reason that every other team didn't and teams didn't take Evgeny Kuznetsov till the 20s. If there is any worry, whatsoever, about a guy's willingness to come to America, you could end up wasting a premium draft choice. With Kucherov, his talent made it worth the risk for Tampa in the 2nd. It wasn't worth it in the first for them.

They clearly didn't know that Kucherov was going to score 120+ points. But they knew he had fabulous talent.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why didn't Tampa take Sergei Fedorov?

That's an interesting question that will keep me up at night. :sarcasm:

But...... it's a complete false equivalency to compare pre fall of USSR draft picks vs now. Back then, you had real strong worries that a guy like Sergei Fedorov or Vladimir Konstantinov might not be allowed to come to America. They might want it with every fiber of their being, but if they were locked into military service, you had to do stuff like bribe a Russian official to say you were dying to get out of it.

---

Onto Kucherov

However, Tampa didn't take Kucherov in the 1st for the same reason that every other team didn't and teams didn't take Evgeny Kuznetsov till the 20s. If there is any worry, whatsoever, about a guy's willingness to come to America, you could end up wasting a premium draft choice. With Kucherov, his talent made it worth the risk for Tampa in the 2nd. It wasn't worth it in the first for them.

They clearly didn't know that Kucherov was going to score 120+ points. But they knew he had fabulous talent.

It was a joke, as how could they have drafted him? Just like how could we have drafted the better brother 3 years prior to eligibility?!

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
My only prediction regarding Yzerman is that many people on this forum will find a way to be disappointed with what he's doing and claim that Holland is still pulling the strings from behind the scenes.

:laugh:

Seriously though, I expect Yzerman to largely stay on the same course that Holland was on -- patient, building through the draft, stockpiling picks, etc. I do think Yzerman will be more aggressive on the trade front than Holland was. I will not be surprised if AA or Mantha is moved.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->