Expectations of Yzerman's First Year

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
This will be Yzerman's honeymoon time, so he really can't doing anything wrong for the first year or two.

I don't think there will be many changes in the front office this first year. But, I do think space will be made for Al Murray to join the organization sometime after this year's draft. Murray has an out-clause in his contract the kicks in if Yzerman leaves the Tampa organization. Since Yzerman wrote or approved the contract, I can't imagine it wasn't done for reason. In the interview yesterday, Yzerman said he would not expect people to leave one organization for another just for the same position. Murray may become another Assistant GM, until Martin moves on.

I expect one or two trades around draft day. I expect Yzerman's focus to be on acquiring prospects for the next several years. Mantha or AA could be candidates.

Regarding veteran contracts, it is unlikely he will pay anyone to take these off our hands. It is likely they expire under his watch. He may bury one or two in GR so kids can get NHL experience.

I think Yzerman was trying to push back the playoff competitive time line several years in his interviews. Some of that was for self preservation, but much of it is for reality. Don't expect any big UFA signings or block buster trades this summer. He will position the team so young players are protected in the expansion draft.

I do expect the team to have a fire sale come trade line.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
1. Revamp scouting and player development like someone else said in the other Stevie thread.

2. Try to shed as much of the dead weight as possible, meaning Helm, Abdelkader, Ericsson, Kronwall, Howard, and/or DDK.

3. Get some defensemen that don't suck.

4. Repeat #3 for the goalies.

5. Stop handing out NTCs/NMCs like Halloween candy.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The big thing I will look forward to is what he ends up doing with the scouting, draft and development departments. We have been terrible in all of these areas for close to 20 years and it's a big part of the reason why we are one of the worst teams in the league. Yzerman built Tampa into one of the best teams through the draft and that's how we're going to need to build our roster. I do agree that he'll make trades for draft picks but that still relies on having one of the best scouting and drafting teams in the business and we are currently nowhere near that level.

Everything else will fall in line from there.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I type Yzerman but my phone autocorrect to superman , don't know why. It's going to be some contract negotiations coming year Mantha, AA, Bert

Christien

May 1, 2010
But there’s no doubt Yzerman’s departure, along with others that might be coming, will leave an impact on what has been one of the most stable front offices in the league. That includes Stacy Roest, director of player development, and long-time scout Jamie Pushor — both, like Yzerman, former Red Wings.

Quote doesn't mean anything tbh but if we could get Roest here I'd be thrilled.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Free agency matter the most. If we won't get anybody, it's another tank season.

But summer of 2020 should be a BIG SPLASH, because so many of the contracts for old goats are ending. Then I expect us to be a playoff team for 2020-21.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I don't think he should offload our dead contracts. Doing that will cost other assets, we are bad, there's no reason to do this. We need to be hoarding as many valuable assets as possible. There is no hurry in trying to unload Abdelkader. He's a negative asset.

Yzerman needs to improve our scouting a bit. And supplement our roster depth a bit to help our guys develop.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I'd like to see one of Daley or Ericsson bought out or traded with retained salary so we can get 3 of Hronek, Cholowski, Bowey, Hicketts, or Saarijarvi in the lineup.

That's really it. Just don't sign any dumb contracts.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I expect him to continue what Holland has already been doing for years. If anything I could see changes behind the scenes that are important going forward, but not so much stuff that directly impacts the product on the ice.

Come TDL maybe he’s more aggressive in selling, as a new GM he might have an easier time selling to ownership, coaches and players that a full-on tank is the right approach.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
- Larkin accepts captaincy within the next few months
- Maybe a minor or trade or two around/ at the draft (moving up into late 1st round, moving a pick or picks for a young NHLer, etc.)
- I don't expect anything from free agency. They probably give the sales pitch to some of the bigger name guys, ultimately don't expect anyone to sign here.
- Team is mostly the same come October, minus 1 or 2 tweaks
- Team shows some overall progress throughout the year, but it still ~bottom 5-10 come February and Yzerman sells off some veteran pieces for futures
- Team finishes ~5th last in the league

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think the biggest thing is that the course that Holland has set the team on will continue. For Holland the rebuild was a game of chicken you knew he'd eventually lose and try to jump start with a Karlsson like signing. Yzerman will see it through. So, expect a couple more years of watching the team struggle. Beyond that, I can see the Tyler Wright 'SIZE SIZE INTANGIBLES" drafting scheme go the way of the dinosaurs. Yzerman likes skill and speed.

Reactions: hkydave04

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Impatience and accusations that Holland is undermining him.
:laugh: I'm sure you're right. But I also do legit wonder how much he will shake things up the first year with Holland still there.

Not that Holland will be actively undermining him, but that it may be trickier politically to get rid of some people when Holland is still there in a Senior VP capacity.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I think the biggest thing is that the course that Holland has set the team on will continue. For Holland the rebuild was a game of chicken you knew he'd eventually lose and try to jump start with a Karlsson like signing. Yzerman will see it through. So, expect a couple more years of watching the team struggle. Beyond that, I can see the Tyler Wright 'SIZE SIZE INTANGIBLES" drafting scheme go the way of the dinosaurs. Yzerman likes skill and speed.
To be fair that draft strategy was only one draft.
Last year we drafted a guy listed at 137 pounds.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
- Larkin accepts captaincy within the next few months
- Maybe a minor or trade or two around/ at the draft (moving up into late 1st round, moving a pick or picks for a young NHLer, etc.)
- I don't expect anything from free agency. They probably give the sales pitch to some of the bigger name guys, ultimately don't expect anyone to sign here.
- Team is mostly the same come October, minus 1 or 2 tweaks
- Team shows some overall progress throughout the year, but it still ~bottom 5-10 come February and Yzerman sells off some veteran pieces for futures
- Team finishes ~5th last in the league

Then we drop in the draft again for the fourth year in a row. Repeat this cycle forever until we land some elite talent with our 5th-10th overall picks

Reactions: avssuc

Roy S

May 16, 2009
He’s going to position the team so that they can be playoff and Cup contenders when Larkin hits his peak and is still on a team friendly deal. I think he’ll be patient for another 2 years and not make any big splashes.

Reactions: Flowah

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Then we drop in the draft again for the fourth year in a row. Repeat this cycle forever until we land some elite talent with our 5th-10th overall picks

That's a little dramatic, I think/ hope our drafting and scouting is better than most other cellar dwellers who rely on top 5 picks to be their only source of NHL talent.

Guys like Veleno, McIsaac, Larsson, etc. look pretty promising right now, should help to fill out the roster and make it stronger.

Yzerman probably makes a bigger sized move in 2020 offseason, if I had to guess (Trouba?)

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
That's a little dramatic, I think/ hope our drafting and scouting is better than most other cellar dwellers who rely on top 5 picks to be their only source of NHL talent.

Guys like Veleno, McIsaac, Larsson, etc. look pretty promising right now, should help to fill out the roster and make it stronger.

Yzerman probably makes a bigger sized move in 2020 offseason, if I had to guess (Trouba?)

Odds are one of them make it. Odds are none of them will be anything more than role players. Detroit still needs top 5 picks to fill out its premium positions.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Odds are one of them make it. Odds are none of them will be anything more than role players. Detroit still needs top 5 picks to fill out its premium positions.

I don't disagree with that at all. Hopefully we can grab Byram, or if we draft a C they turn into a 1st/2nd line caliber guy - I was just trying to point out that teams like Edmonton, Florida, Buffalo, etc. who seem to always be in the basement for the majority of that last ~10 years don't usually find much talent beyond drafting in the top 5 or so picks. Edmonton has what Khaira as a depth F? 3 of Buffalo's top 6 are Eichel, Reinhart, Mittelstadt. Florida is relying on Barkov, Huberdeau, Ekblad, Luongo (!) to win - though admittedly Trocheck was a great depth pick for them.

I have faith that our organization will yield some strong middle-roster type guys over the next few years with their later picks, guys we may already have in the system, a guy like Bertuzzi has already achieved that. I'm just saying I'm optimistic the team will have more success than say the Oilers have been able to do in recent history - I think "forever" was unnecessary. It's not going to happen for us in the next ~24 months but within a few years the team should be on the upswing, I don't think too many of us think otherwise.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I expect Yzerman to be quiet this offseason. I don't think he will target any UFAs and if he makes any noise I think it will be at the draft table. I wouldn't rule out a trade just before the season starts.
During the season he will let the team be what it is, we will struggle and finish in the bottom 10.
I expect a firesale come the TDL, with Yzerman moving every vet contract he can for whatever he can get.

I also think he will start negotiations with our RFAs during the season, if he does not like their contract demands I could see them moved. (specifically thinking of AA here) Yzerman built Tampa with guys who think team first. Call it tax advantage or climate advantage or whatever you want, I think he will try to do the same here and set the tone early.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'm not really expecting a ton of changes in the near future,maybe a name or two added to the personnel but that's about it

the main difference i'm hoping for this offseason is not using up all the cap space on mediocre free agents just because it's there

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I do wonder how much it changes things when players are having conversations with the GM and that GM is Steve Yzerman.

There's not gonna be a whole lot of players thinking "you don't know what it's like to play in the NHL."

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The franchise has some important decisions coming up, particularly with its younger core. Mantha, Athanasiou and Bertuzzi will all need long-term contracts. They'll also have a bunch of expiring contracts from older players. I think he'll stand pat this offseason, spend another year trading for picks and then start making bigger moves next year after he's had time to fully evaluate everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad