Prospect Info: Expectations for Timothy Liljegren in 2020-21

Expectations for Liljegren in 2020-21

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
In just over a week it will have been officially three years since Timothy Liljegren was drafted 17th overall by the Toronto Maple Leafs. After being touted as the 2nd best player in the 2017 draft back in 2016, his stock fell until he was projected to go from as high as 7th to as low as 22nd. Many of us considered it extremely lucky to draft him where we did, and were quite ecstatic to add him to a stable of young prospects and players that had just qualified for the 2017 playoffs against all odds.

Since then Liljegren has steadily improved his game, but has not been as flashy as people would've expected, and has been passed by fellow Leafs draftee Rasmus Sandin as the teams best defence prospect. Liljegren however since being drafted helped Sweden to a Silver medal in the 2018 World Juniors, and helped the Marlies win the 2018 Calder Cup. This season he has shown great strides as the Marlies #1 defenseman, and even made his Leafs debut.

Next season on the right side, the Leafs only have Justin Holl as a sure thing, as Barrie and Ceci are both UFA's after this season. And given how cap-strapped the Leafs are there isn't much room to add a defenseman via free agency. Aside from Holl, the Leafs have also signed 26 year old Mikko Lehtonen, a highly sought after defenseman from Europe. And while Lehtonen is left handed, he has played on the right side before, and had great results doing so. With the left side as crowded as it is when healthy, there's also potential for a guy like Dermott to move to the right side as well.

The competition for Liljegren to crack the roster next season will be steep, but not insurmountable. Assuming the Leafs carry 7 defensemen on their roster (Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott, Holl, Lehtonen, Sandin, Liljegren) he could platoon with Sandin and Lehtonen (and hell maybe even Holl) to get games in and ease the burden between the three of them as NHL rookies and newcomers. And hell injuries happen, so while I hope none of our players get injured, that's also an opportunity for him to get playing time.

Next season, Liljegren I believe will be (and I think that he should be) on the team and at least travelling with them and getting games here and there. However I could see people arguing that he should start with the Marlies and come up when the Leafs feel he's ready, which has been their approach in recent history with prospects. Or hell maybe you think he's not close at all and should be with the Marlies all season. Or maybe you're the opposite and think he should be a regular on defense next year and play all 82 (or however many games the NHL goes with) if healthy.

What are your expectations for Liljegren? Has he progressed enough to warrant a roster spot next year? Does he need more seasoning in your opinion? Are you happy with how he's progressed? Liljegren is our most interesting prospect in my opinion given his handedness and his position, so I look forward to this discussion.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He is close to being ready if not alteady. A great training camp and he should be on the roster. He is still a really good prospect, who has established himself as an elite AHL defenseman. Now he needs to take the next step. He was fine in the NHL but looked nervous.

Reactions: qqaz

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I think he likely starts in the AHL and is called up later if there are injuries. I think he's close to ready, but unless moves are made, I don't see him playing over Rielly, Muzzin, Holl, Lehtonen, Dermott, or Sandin. I doubt they'd want to keep him as a 7th, since he is waiver exempt and the others aren't.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I didn't think he looked ready. Sandin was better with the puck but also struggled without it at times. The latter might get a 3rd unit spot but I think Lilly starts in the AHL again for next year. All this is of course assuming we don't make any further moves on defence before the next full season.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I didn't think he looked ready. Sandin was better with the puck but also struggled without it at times. The latter might get a 3rd unit spot but I think Lilly starts in the AHL again for next year. All this is of course assuming we don't make any further moves on defence before the next full season.
Would he need to go through waivers?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Whether or not he is ready, the Leafs' are not ready to successfully bring either Liljegren or Sandin into the lineup.

This is a very smart comment.
A more structured mature and tougher defensive team can successfully bring in a young D prospect.

If our young D prospect was a banger and physically able to look after himself then the Leafs could more easily integrate this player to the NHL rigours. Sandin would do better with a physical veteran on his right side who has his back.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Liljegren's defensive game is ahead of Sandin's right now, even if some people don't like to hear that, and Liljegren usually takes time to adjust at a new level. Sandin is the better offensive player, and has fantastic poise. They both will be great players.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Muzzy can only mentor 1 guy. Rielly will likely be forced to mentor another although he is just coming into his own now. If we don't land a solid defender to play with Rielly then expect Dermy to play up with Rielly or Muzzy. Holl likely plays with sandin. So Lehtonon plays other spot. With Rosen and Marty as spares. So Lily likely back with Marlies to start season.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Liljegren's defensive game is ahead of Sandin's right now, even if some people don't like to hear that, and Liljegren usually takes time to adjust at a new level. Sandin is the better offensive player, and has fantastic poise. They both will be great players.

I would like to echo that sentiment. If we are looking for guys who can be more of a factor defensively, then it is easily Liljegren over Sandin. Sandin needs more AHL time to work on his defense and I personally don't feel like he is ready unless you wanted to put him in a sheltered role, which I think is a waste for a guy like him right now. Especially since we already have an abundance of capable LD and you would be just as well off, if not better off, giving the same kind of role to a young RD in Liljegren (if he is not ready for more).

The expectation for Liljegren should be the #6 role unless the Leafs add another defenseman without subtracting one (i.e. bring in a top 4 guy without trading Dermott).

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Let me consult my inner claircognizance
40CD73C4-EB5F-43B4-B2CA-F6B9E7CBE1AE.gif

Reactions: al secord

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It would be great if he could build upon this past season's opportunity. Unless there is a preference on having a certain amount of RHD on the blueline though, I don't know that there will be an open spot from the get go.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I would like to echo that sentiment. If we are looking for guys who can be more of a factor defensively, then it is easily Liljegren over Sandin. Sandin needs more AHL time to work on his defense and I personally don't feel like he is ready unless you wanted to put him in a sheltered role, which I think is a waste for a guy like him right now. Especially since we already have an abundance of capable LD and you would be just as well off, if not better off, giving the same kind of role to a young RD in Liljegren (if he is not ready for more).

The expectation for Liljegren should be the #6 role unless the Leafs add another defenseman without subtracting one (i.e. bring in a top 4 guy without trading Dermott).
Yes either way only 1 of those 2 plays on 3rd pair. Other guy gets loads of ice on our Marlies. COVID CAP helps these 2 next year.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Kind of needs to take a roster spot given cap, no? Or, would be advantageous if he does, otherwise more cap juggling.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I love Timmy, but man did he puke all over himself in his first try up here. Just horrendous. Scared to make any plays, and instead made a ton of mistakes.

The good news is that I do think it's all mental with him - it took him a little bit to fully flip that switch on in the AHL, so hopefully it's just a matter of him figuring it out up here too.

As for next year - at this point I wouldn't rush him back into big league duty unless he's really earning it. Even if we don't sign any D at all, having Marincin as the #6D could be a safer choice, and Lehtonen is in the mix as well (and I still like Kivi and Rubins too), so no need to force Lilly in there unless his play is demanding it AND there's enough minutes for him to develop.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
A marginal 3rd pairing level RHD will be signed/acquired to share the 3rd pairing with Liljegren to start the season. Liljegren will be played sporadically at the start of the season to ease him into a heavier work load as the season progresses with the hope that the marginal 3rd pairing level RHD is eventually made irrelevant by Liljegren's NHL performance.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
he's in an unfortunate situation where he looked like he could dominate the AHL, but wasn't good enough to play in the NHL. Hopefully he can sort things out a bit and turn into an NHL player soon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad