Expectations for Flyers 2015/2016 NHL Season

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Too soon? I know we still have to hire a coach, do the draft, and go through free agency before we'll have a full view of our team, but I figure we have a good idea of what direction this team is going.

Anyway, I expect a lot of growth from some players that are due. I think a real coach will do good for the guys ready to break out and hopefully for some rookies just breaking in.

Giroux: no reason to doubt another top 10-15 in scoring season from the Captain, however, say he gets a legit left winger or he uses Del Zitti or Ghost or Morin or Sanheim to deadly effect on the power play, and Simmonds and Jake play even more consistent over the course of a game and the season, he could have another top 3 scoring season for sure. I'd love if we got Babcock only to see Giroux's defensive game evolve even more.

Voracek: he went pretty cold after a very hot run to the all star break as the number one scorer, and then finished the season as the 4th best scorer in the league. I think everyone was pleasantly surprised with the visible jump in Voraceks speed and execution. I hope that jump continues into next year. And while I don't expect him to lead the league in points at any point again next season, I think he very well could be even better than last year. Without the cold stretch, and maybe a less hot start to the season, and we could have another PPG season from the Snake. Loved seeing him drive the net and hope his confidence and strength is something he continues to build on this offseason.

Simmonds: had another good season, but he was pretty streaky in the beginning of the year. Piled on points for the first couple weeks and then cashed out for a stretch. I remember CSN analysts discussing the possibility of 40 goals and I still think that's attainable for the Train.

Couturier: the 8th Toothless Wonder of the World had another great defensive year while finding ways to expose how useless his linemates, Umberger and Read ,were. Offensively, I thought he created good chances, had a lot of fruitless breakaways, and showed a stronger proclivity to shoot the puck. Schenn and healthy Read looked better than what he played 3/4 of the year with and his scoresheet acknowledged this. I think Coots still has another gear or two to his game and he needs to start raising his awful shooting percentage. A lot of chest snipes and blocked shots this season, so he needs to use his hockey sense and size to get better shooting opportunities. He has some slick hands which he needs to start employing around the net. I expect 40+ points from Coots next season and hope for even more. I wish he would be used with Giroux more often, because whenever they play together, good things happen.

I'll post more later, but this should get us started

I also expect to make the playoffs next season. Confucious say, practice shootout.

Fulton44*

For me it's way too soon to have any type of expectations for the Flyers for next season. Have to see who they hire to coach the team, what moves they make, if they look to re-tool or continue to take a more passive/patient approach while some bad contracts expire and the young defenseman develop.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I'll reserve my right to make my expectations when we have a coach and the draft as well as the initial FA Frenzy is over. I think we are a playoff team next year though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad