Expectations and Advice

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Hey all,

I'm getting back into hockey after a couple years off due to lack of organized leagues for rec hockey. I'm turning 22 and have played 13 years total in my life (but I've never been too good).

I'm entering a rec league for 18-40 year olds so I'd like to know what to expect from something like this in terms of organization, competition, etc. Furthermore, it's worth pointing out, that I am in much better shape than I have ever been but I'd like to work on my skating and shooting before going back to play. What are some tips to do that? I'm look specifically for weight and resistance routines to build Leg, Core, Arm and Wrist strength. I'll also be swimming regularly once it gets warm out so that will be part of my conditioning.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Gman094

Mar 6, 2011
Billyburg, NY
You're gonna have to give us some more details on your rec league so we can tell you what to expect. Is it non-checking? How are the teams organized/divided? If the age group ranges as far as you say it does then I think you can expect a couple things. Your biggest advantage starting out will probably be your fitness, once you get back on the ice your stick skills will come as well. Not to say older guys won't be in shape but they will probably rely on their stick skills more then their fitness.

As far as skating, just get out on the ice as much as you can. Depending on how busy the open ice is, you can try setting up some cones for some skating drills.

Core strength is easy, lots of variations of situps you can do.

Leg pressing in a gym will build muscle and if you can ride a stationary bike that will help with leg endurance.

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the tips! To clarify, the league is non-checking. I honestly don't know how the teams are split other than you can register as a team or with specific players to play with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->