Waived: Expect Ouellet to be bought out

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
These kind of buyouts are weird to me, there wasn't any teams that would take him for a 7th?
When there's a multitude of XO caliber players available for free every summer, why give up assets, even a small one, when you don't have to? The only time someone of that caliber has any value is mid season/TDL and a team is facing injuries but they want the replacement to be in NHL shape opposed to an unemployed UFA.

Smith and Sproul should have been seriously considered into turning into wingers. They could probably still be in the NHL still if they were.

Strongly disagree with this. Especially Sproul.

Last edited:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
When there's a multitude of XO caliber players available for free every summer, why give up assets, even a small one, when you don't have to?

Just to add to your point, when you can acquire 99% of these guys via FA with a league min cap hit, why trade an asset AND pay 1.25mil for XO.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Does anyone know what happen with XO? Obviously he was placed on waivers for the purpose of being bought out, but did he pass through waivers? Did a team put a claim on him? I haven't been able to find anything online.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
[QUOTE="21 Savage, post: 147367109, member: 288049"
Strongly disagree with this. Especially Sproul.[/QUOTE]

He had no hockey iq for his own end but was offensively minded. But he had a good shot plus big and not slow so I could see him salvaged as a Brent Burns style convert not to say he would produce as much but big body net front and potential 2nd "d" on pp for point shot he might have had a chance. Even strength half board type player.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Because they want to give him a chance to go somewhere else to have a shot as he will never get one in Detroit.

IMO, a more important factor would be that they didn't want him to take a regular spot from Hicketts/Hronek/Cholowski/Sulak/Saarijarvi if he ultimately cleared waivers and had to go to GR.

That's the only thing that really makes sense, since burying him this upcoming season would've cost only $225k in cap space before they would've let him walk as an unqualified RFA next summer and faced no cap penalty for 19-20.

I'm guessing Ouellet's much higher than a fringe NHL D cap hit made him unattractive to other teams unless the Wings sweetened the pot by including a draft pick or retaining a bigger chunk of salary than burying or buying him out cost. Or the other teams wanted to ship over an equally useless player.

I'm surprised they couldn't work out another Sproul for Puempel like trade to get a forward for GR since that's what they'll likely need down there.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Does anyone know what happen with XO? Obviously he was placed on waivers for the purpose of being bought out, but did he pass through waivers? Did a team put a claim on him? I haven't been able to find anything online.

It was unconditional waivers, so he certainly cleared. Knowing the player is about to become a UFA if they clear, teams usually don't put in claims for unconditional waivers.

If a team is/was interested in Ouellet, they can now snag him for $700k on Sunday.

Reactions: Sleestack

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
It was unconditional waivers, so he certainly cleared. Knowing the player is about to become a UFA if they clear, teams usually don't put in claims for unconditional waivers.

If a team is/was interested in Ouellet, they can now snag him for $700k on Sunday.

I'm sure he did since we have heard nothing, but I dont agree that anyone but on unconditional waivers would clear. If a team really wants XO, putting in a claim almost guarantees it. Waiting for UFA means you have to compete with other teams to get him.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm sure he did since we have heard nothing, but I dont agree that anyone but on unconditional waivers would clear. If a team really wants XO, putting in a claim almost guarantees it. Waiting for UFA means you have to compete with other teams to get him.

I don't recall a single instance where a player was claimed on unconditional waivers, especially with a looming buyout as the consequence.

Technically speaking, unless the team is #1 in waiver priority, and interested team also faces competition claiming the player on waivers. If a team was really interested in XO, I'm sure they would've been happy to give up what the Wings got for Russo, and the Red Wings equally happy to get it, instead of being subject to competition.

I doubt many teams are going to covet an overpaid #7/AHL depth D enough to put in a claim before they get to sign the player to a contract of their liking, or worry about competition on the UFA market.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Doubt there is much competition for him as UFA. You don't really compete for a guy that can't make the top 6 of this shoddy line up anyway.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
My last comment was more so in reference to unconditional waivers in general, not XO specifically. Clearly in this case he has cleared.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad