Waived: Expect Ouellet to be bought out

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
In b4 “Holland you dumbass, you couldn’t get any draft pick for Xavier Oullet!!!!”

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yeah, I remember when he was considered a really good prospect. 2nd rounder. Drafted with Jurco and Sproul who are also both gone. Could never make up for his poor skating. Good luck to him wherever he ends up.

Reactions: NickH8

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Incredible how poorly that group of young guys flamed out.

Truly amazing, people talked about Sproul, Ouellet and Jensen (to an extent) just as highly as some are talking about Hronek and Cholowski right now. I remember being so excited about Sproul, and how can we forget about Brendan Smith. Before he made the jump many were convinced he'd be elite. Defensemen are so tough to predict.

Reactions: Fixxer and benusmc

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I can't see this organization giving a full time spot to a rookie on defense. With Kronwall's issues, I'm anticipating a veteran being signed.
Yeah, I would prefer to see us bring a cheap vet in for a tryout during camp. It's something Holland has done in the past. That way a prospect/young guy can compete for a spot and even if he doesn't win it out of camp you can bring him up later and waive the vet. The last thing I want is for Holland to give Green a 3 year deal and sign another vet to a multi year deal. Keep the cap space open and let your younger guys truly compete for a roster spot.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I can't see this organization giving a full time spot to a rookie on defense. With Kronwall's issues, I'm anticipating a veteran being signed.

How many vets on D does the damn team need? Ericsson, Dekeyser, Kronwall, and Daley are all vets and likely slotted to be playing every night as of now.

Reactions: Konnan511

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
How many vets on D does the damn team need? Ericsson, Dekeyser, Kronwall, and Daley are all vets and likely slotted to be playing every night as of now.
Only real question mark among those guys is Kronwall. He's very close to being a LTIR casualty. I do like the idea of trying to bring in a guy like Schenn, Franson or Roman Polak. Either a camp tryout or sign for a one year deal. That would solidify your top 4 and give the young guys on D a chance to compete for playing time in the NHL. Jensen could be in the mix or he could fit in as your 7th d-man.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Truly amazing, people talked about Sproul, Ouellet and Jensen (to an extent) just as highly as some are talking about Hronek and Cholowski right now. I remember being so excited about Sproul, and how can we forget about Brendan Smith. Before he made the jump many were convinced he'd be elite. Defensemen are so tough to predict.
I don't know, talk about XO never came without the disclaimer "if he can improve his skating" and with Sproul it was always "if he can figure out how to play defense". In comparison both Cholo and Hronek have less glaring flaws. Doesn't mean they'll succeed but as raw material they are more promising.

Reactions: NickH8

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Only real question mark among those guys is Kronwall. He's very close to being a LTIR casualty. I do like the idea of trying to bring in a guy like Schenn, Franson or Roman Polak. Either a camp tryout or sign for a one year deal. That would solidify your top 4 and give the young guys on D a chance to compete for playing time in the NHL. Jensen could be in the mix or he could fit in as your 7th d-man.

Pass on those guys. They don't do anything to help the team now or in the future. Let Hicketts play and give Cholo or Hronek a legit chance at making the team and playing as well.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

I was such a big believer of XO, he looked so calm with the puck, solid positioning, great first pass. Just couldn't put it together at the NHL level. Damn shame.

Reactions: Fixxer

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Why buy him out and not just waive him? He would cost like 200k in cap space this year in the minors.

Reactions: Fixxer

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Pass on those guys. They don't do anything to help the team now or in the future. Let Hicketts play and give Cholo or Hronek a legit chance at making the team and playing as well.
Those guys give you a basement of a decent top 4 on defense but can easily be moved down the lineup or waived. It's a total Ken Holland move and one that I'd actually support. My goals with 2018-19 are to play the young guys, keep as much cap space and roster spots open as possible, and hopefully win the 2019 draft lottery. All of those are well within reach and prepare the franchise for quickly pulling out of being one of the 5 worst franchises in the league.

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
I remember following Hockey Central and my nips getting hard at the idea of the future of Sproul & Smith... Man has that taught me to temper expectations.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Don't forget Marchenko. He was in that group as well and most thought he'd be a solid contributor.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
people should temper their expectations of kronwall to LTIR. Last year had hopes for that but seemed kronwall felt all those hopes from people and played on and was buoyed by all that hatred in the world haha. I will be frustrated as shit if they sign another veteran considering the 4 we already have. Hicketts may not be a top 2 pairing dman, but he showed last year he deserves a shot to see what he can bring full time. Team did go on that little winning streak at end with him i believe. Plus i thought i read he was pretty good in the preseason as well and some thought he deserved his shot then. Plus would love to see hronek get a shot too to get some action in sooner rather than later.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Agreed. Prospects in general are tough to predict but D-men especially.

I remember when Kindl and Smith were going to have our blueline set for years...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->