Expansion?

jacketracket*

Hampton Roads (Norfolk), Va., Houston (two different ownership groups applying, I believe), Oklahoma City, Milwaukee.

Skroob*

With a new arena being built in Brooklyn for the Nets, do you think that NYC can support a second team? :dunno:

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
With a new arena being built in Brooklyn for the Nets, do you think that NYC can support a second team? :dunno:

Second team???

NYC already has three teams, for all intents and purposes. The Devils and Isles are well within the New York metro area.

And I should add that the Devils and Isles get poor attendance year after year. Part of it no doubt is that both teams need a new arena. But part of it also is that the market is oversaturated with NHL teams. Three is too many for one market.

Wetcoaster

Bettman has stated repeatedly he does not see expansion in the NHL for the foreseeable future. Would Gary ever lie or mislead people????:amazed:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Move the devils to Brooklyn! They would probably support the team better than the people in the swamp. Sadly, the Devils are getting a new arena in jersey... I don't know why.

Brooklyn Devils has a nice sound to it.

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
Second team???

NYC already has three teams, for all intents and purposes. The Devils and Isles are well within the New York metro area.

And I should add that the Devils and Isles get poor attendance year after year. Part of it no doubt is that both teams need a new arena. But part of it also is that the market is oversaturated with NHL teams. Three is too many for one market.

It has nothing to do with the market being oversaturated with teams. I agree with you about the NEED for new arenas though. Back to my argument, the tri-state area has a HUGE hockey following and there are a ton of hockey fans here on Long Island. I will break it down why the Isles and Devils suffer on attendance.

The Devils situation is quite simple and pretty much what you said. They play in the swamp. The place is in the middle of nowhere. Its a hassle getting out of that parking lot also. The arena is dark and ugly. Another reason in my opinion is that the style of hockey the devs have played for the past few years is not the most exciting. I DONT agree with this if this is true though. That said, the new arena looks gorgeous and I am sure they wont have any trouble gettin huge crowds every game once that place opens.

Now to my Isles. Believe it or not, there are tons of Isles fans on Long Island. I myself own season tickets and go to every game. Back in the mid to late 90's you could basically pick where you wanted to sit. There were literally 5,000 fans per game. Now there are more than 8,500 season ticket holders ALONE and for the past 5 seasons have averaged around 12,500 - 13,000 fans per game. 3 years ago the Isles sold out something like 25 home games and came close for the rest and this is all in what is probably the WORST arena in the league. When this renovation project gets done fans will flock back and sell out every game. The Devils have had success the past 10 years and still dont draw. The new arena will help them greatly though. When the Isles have a good team the arena is packed and loud every night.

My point is this, yes there are 3 teams in this area but the lack of attendance for the Isles and Devils compared to the Rangers has NOTHING to do with one team having more fans than the other. The Rangers, Devils and Isles all have tons of fans and if there is any area of the country who can support 3 NHL teams it is definately this area.

Skroob*

It has nothing to do with the market being oversaturated with teams. I agree with you about the NEED for new arenas though. Back to my argument, the tri-state area has a HUGE hockey following and there are a ton of hockey fans here on Long Island. I will break it down why the Isles and Devils suffer on attendance.

The Devils situation is quite simple and pretty much what you said. They play in the swamp. The place is in the middle of nowhere. Its a hassle getting out of that parking lot also. The arena is dark and ugly. Another reason in my opinion is that the style of hockey the devs have played for the past few years is not the most exciting. I DONT agree with this if this is true though. That said, the new arena looks gorgeous and I am sure they wont have any trouble gettin huge crowds every game once that place opens.

Now to my Isles. Believe it or not, there are tons of Isles fans on Long Island. I myself own season tickets and go to every game. Back in the mid to late 90's you could basically pick where you wanted to sit. There were literally 5,000 fans per game. Now there are more than 8,500 season ticket holders ALONE and for the past 5 seasons have averaged around 12,500 - 13,000 fans per game. 3 years ago the Isles sold out something like 25 home games and came close for the rest and this is all in what is probably the WORST arena in the league. When this renovation project gets done fans will flock back and sell out every game. The Devils have had success the past 10 years and still dont draw. The new arena will help them greatly though. When the Isles have a good team the arena is packed and loud every night.

My point is this, yes there are 3 teams in this area but the lack of attendance for the Isles and Devils compared to the Rangers has NOTHING to do with one team having more fans than the other. The Rangers, Devils and Isles all have tons of fans and if there is any area of the country who can support 3 NHL teams it is definately this area.

thank you for summing up what i was going to come here and say.

And just to note, Brooklyn on its own would be the 4th largest City in the US, with 2.5 million people within its city limits.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
thank you for summing up what i was going to come here and say.

And just to note, Brooklyn on its own would be the 4th largest City in the US, with 2.5 million people within its city limits.

What do you mean "would be?"

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
^ yes, because the NJ Nets.. like the devils... draw flies for a good team. The owners are smart enough to move it to Brooklyn, while the Devils think they can make a go of it in Newark New Jersey. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Newark, it's a region of NJ that is crime ridden and the people who live around newerk generally do not have a lot of money (I am not being discriminatory here). Not to mention that the area has a large consortium of African Americans, and how many African Americans follow Ice Hockey?

Seriously... they must have got a bargain basement deal from Newark to build this arena.

miser

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
Bettman has stated repeatedly he does not see expansion in the NHL for the foreseeable future. Would Gary ever lie or mislead people????:amazed:

Earlier this month, Pierre Mcguire indicated that when Bettman was asked about expansion by new league sponsors (Pepsi) that he didn't say no.

GWhale*

^ yes, because the NJ Nets.. like the devils... draw flies for a good team. The owners are smart enough to move it to Brooklyn, while the Devils think they can make a go of it in Newark New Jersey. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Newark, it's a region of NJ that is crime ridden and the people who live around newerk generally do not have a lot of money (I am not being discriminatory here). Not to mention that the area has a large consortium of African Americans, and how many African Americans follow Ice Hockey?

Seriously... they must have got a bargain basement deal from Newark to build this arena.

And within a half hour of Newark there are millions of people with a lot of money, what's your point? Not to mention, PATH trains go right into Newark, whereas to get to East Rutherford you need a car, something alot of New Yorkers do not have.

Furthermore, hockey is a more popular sport and played at a higher level in New Jersey than in Brooklyn or Long Island.

And your "African Americans" comment is just racist, not going to even bother.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Anyone know the citys that didn't get expansion teams but applied for one last time they did expansion?

Expantion is done for twenty years

you may see team relocate

Houston, KC and Las Vegas is on the top of everyone lists to get teams

A friend of mine who works in the oil field in Texas says that there are two groups eyeing Edmonton thinking that sometime in the next 6 years they will move south--I suggested that he was on cheap dope--but he is a business guy and he is convinced even in the new nhl the oilers can not survive

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
And within a half hour of Newark there are millions of people with a lot of money, what's your point? Not to mention, PATH trains go right into Newark, whereas to get to East Rutherford you need a car, something alot of New Yorkers do not have.

Furthermore, hockey is a more popular sport and played at a higher level in New Jersey than in Brooklyn or Long Island.

Hockey being played at a higher level in NJ wont mean they will support it. I mean look at Soccer, so many kids play soccer, but do they care to watch it?

The Traffic is a good arguement I think, will it help? I dunno we'll see. The African American comment isn't racist dude, it would be if I said they couldn't play hockey, but I didn't.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Hockey being played at a higher level in NJ wont mean they will support it. I mean look at Soccer, so many kids play soccer, but do they care to watch it?

The Traffic is a good arguement I think, will it help? I dunno we'll see. The African American comment isn't racist dude, it would be if I said they couldn't play hockey, but I didn't.

As someone who grew up and played hockey in New Jersey I can assure you that is not the case. The game in the last 10-12 years has exploded, new rinks are built all the time. I can also tell you that 99% of those people playing hockey follow the NHL. Of those players the Devils are the most popular team. The Devils fan base is a young one mostly under 30. I have no doubt in the future that the team will have a stronger ticket buying fanbase than do know as these fans grow up. As GWhale said the Newark Arena will be more accessible than the current. Not only does it have the PATH train in from NYC but it will have NJ Transit which connects to the rest of the state and would allow more people from Central New Jersey to attend. The current arena has only buses from NYC as public transportation going into the stadium. I remember a few years ago I had friends who had to take a train into NYC (which took about an hour and a half) then a bus back to NJ to get to the game.

As for as the Arena being in a bad nieghborhood. First off it isn't. It is in downtown a block from the train station. Safety shouldn't be a concern as the area would be flooded with cops. At worst it would be like going to a game at Yankee Stadium. Second I'm sure the area around it will build up. Take for example the Verizon Center and DC. From all accounts I've heard that area of DC was one of the worst before it was built. I just ate down there a few weeks ago and had to pay an arm and a leg. It is probably the most upscale area of DC now.

OhNoItsComeau57

Sep 15, 2006
New Orleans

Not to mention that the Rangers have many corporate season ticketholders. Prior to their renaissance this past season when they were in their 7 year drought there seemed to be many prime seats unused. These corporate tickets may make their attendence look artificially high.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt

It's not racist at all. There was absolutely no intent at racism. 99% of black people do not play hockey, nor watch it. How is this racist? It's true. Yes, Newark is a crime ridden city, but a new arena would bring more business to its neighborhood. Crime will significantly decrease in that area.
With that said, an NHL team doesn't belong in NJ. I remember reading that they couldn't even sell out stanley cup playoffs home games. That is just pathetic.

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005

Would Brooklyn be too far from Uniondale to relocate the Islanders? If their arena is that bad, why not use the new arena in Brooklyn??? :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->