Confirmed with Link: Expansion

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I agree with the 1st part.

But totally disagree with the 2nd. Las Vegas is a small TV market. Its smaller than Grand Rapids, MI, Birmingham, AL, and Harrisburg, PA.

The only smaller US market that has an NHL team is Buffalo.

Fair point they might get AZ's TV deal and better numbers if they move though but you are correct its not a populace that would have its own sports network so no big income stream there.

They will be able to charge much higher prices than the Ducks though and maybe more than the Kings for tickets.

Local ratings still will be very respectable due to novelty and being the only team in town. I like the Vegas team even more if AZ 'HAS' to leave.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
Fair point they might get AZ's TV deal and better numbers if they move though but you are correct its not a populace that would have its own sports network so no big income stream there.

They will be able to charge much higher prices than the Ducks though and maybe more than the Kings for tickets.

Local ratings still will be very respectable due to novelty and being the only team in town. I like the Vegas team even more if AZ 'HAS' to leave.

I look at it differently. I see a team in Vegas as a possible (long shot) chance to bring relevance to the Coyotes franchise. Having a rival team in an accessible city is bound to increase interest in both teams.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
People are missing the fact that Vegas is the BEST sports city in the USA if you want to bet on the games and not deal with any illegal element or wait more than 60 seconds after it ends to get paid if you win. Its the only place with legal sports betting and therefore is a very sports oriented city. Waiting a month to get paid offshore or dealing with a bookie sucks Vegas is awesome. A pro team is going to do better than you think and Canadian tourists from Alberta will be shelling out big dough on stubhub to see their Flames or Oilers.

Locals who can't afford to go will watch on TV its a decent metro area and their only team TV ratings will be good. Until there is NBA competition in the city which may or may not happen the team will have a loyal core of locals people are underestimating and then when certain teams visit people with unlimited pockets on vacation.

Another reason to hate Vegas!:shakehead

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Las Vegas, Quebec City NHL expansion bids advance to Phase 2

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...ec_city_nhl_expansion_bids_advance_to_phase_2

Las Vegas and Quebec City are moving on to the second of three phases in their bids to land NHL expansion franchises, the respective groups announced Wednesday.

Bill Foley, who heads the Las Vegas bid, issued a statement on his group's website, "Vegas Wants Hockey," that the league has invited it to advance. Quebecor, a Montreal-based communications giant, announced on its Twitter account that its Quebec City bid is moving forward.

Foley said Phase 2 will feature bidders providing the NHL additional information regarding their respective markets and arena plans. The bidders will also gain access to certain league-related information.

The Las Vegas group has already secured more than 13,200 season-ticket deposits for a potential team. And there's a multipurpose arena under construction near the Las Vegas Strip and set to open next spring.

In Quebec City, the publicly funded, 18,259-seat Videotron Centre is set to open next month. It replaces the small and outdated Colisee, which previously served home to the NHL's Nordiques, who relocated to Colorado to become the Avalanche in 1995. Quebecor manages and owns the naming rights to the new arena.

The fix is in! There's no reason to believe that Las Vegas won't get a team....Follow the money. Again, the fix is in.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I didn't read through the thread , don't know if it's already been posted but, could this be the NHL way of deflecting attention off of the Kane thing. I mean what is new about this announcement/What does it tell us that we didn't already know?

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
The fix is in! There's no reason to believe that Las Vegas won't get a team....Follow the money. Again, the fix is in.

If you all knew who P.K.P. was (owner of Quebecor) you wouldn't be so excited about the Quebec bid. It's only a matter of time before the NHL figures out the kind of clown he is.

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia

The post you just quoted also references an arena that's being built in QC, and that one is due to open like 6+ months before the Vegas one.

Is it safe to presume that you think the fix is in for Quebec City, too?

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Likely going to be Vegas & Seattle, but I wouldn't be shocked to see a relocation (ARI/FLA -> QC?).

Problem is, the league is going to have to shell out a small fortune to either Detroit or Columbus to get them to agree to go back to the West if a western team moves east.

I'd like to see the revival of the Nordiques - great, passionate fans in a very small market. Winnipeg is working as a small market. QC would certainly seem to be a good one, too.
I'd wager the Nordiques hockey market would still be bigger than many other teams in the NHL right now. Population wise, they are almost the same as las vegas, AND they actually have hockey fans.

Vegas is going to be Phoenix 2.0.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I'd wager the Nordiques hockey market would still be bigger than many other teams in the NHL right now. Population wise, they are almost the same as las vegas, AND they actually have hockey fans.

Vegas is going to be Phoenix 2.0.

Agreed. Quebec will have no problem selling tickets and merchandise at all. They're pretty much a guarenteed success

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The post you just quoted also references an arena that's being built in QC, and that one is due to open like 6+ months before the Vegas one.

Is it safe to presume that you think the fix is in for Quebec City, too?

What else would they (Los Vegas) be building a large arena for? I really don't know. I'd rather Quebec has a team again than Los' Wages.

Last edited:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Agreed. Quebec will have no problem selling tickets and merchandise at all. They're pretty much a guarenteed success

I disagree, it failed before and has all the potential to fail again, especially with the Canadian dollar in a free fall which is what sunk them the 1st time around.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I disagree, it failed before and has all the potential to fail again, especially with the Canadian dollar in a free fall which is what sunk them the 1st time around.

According to some, the American dollar isn't far behind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad