Speculation: Expansion

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Pretty sure you can only lose as many players as there are expansion teams.

If one team comes in, you can only lose 1 player. If 2 teams, a max of two players.

2002 Rules

Teams were each allowed to protect either one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards. The Atlanta Thrashers and Nashville Predators had their entire rosters protected, as they were the two newest franchises in the league, only being in existence for one and two years respectively.

For teams protecting only one goaltender, there was no experience requirement for those left unprotected. For teams protecting two goaltenders, each goaltender left unprotected must have appeared in either 10 NHL games in the 1999–2000 season or 25 games in the 1998–99 season and 1999–2000 seasons combined. A goaltender had to be in net for at least 31 minutes in each game for the game to be counted against these totals.

At least one defenceman left unprotected by each team had to have appeared in at least 40 games in the 1999–2000 season or 70 games in the 1998–99 season and 1999–2000 seasons combined. At least two forwards left unprotected by each team had to have met the same requirements.

52 players were chosen in the draft, two from each participating franchise. Only one goaltender or one defenseman could be selected from each franchise. Both the Blue Jackets and the Wild were to use their first 24 selections on three goaltenders, eight defensemen, and thirteen forwards. The final two picks for each team could be any position.

While I can't find any more detail on the rules, I would have to believe that contracts that contain NMCs would by definition have to be on a team's protected list.

Last edited:

WhiteLight*

This is the winner of the "least surprising thing I have read on the internet today" award.

Methot is a #4. Wier has looked like a #4 this season and has potential to improve obviously.

Wier has much better hockey skills. His passing is so crisp and nearly flawless. He not a defensive liability, not even close. His size alone gives him very good defensive potential, and we all know about his offensive skills.

This is nothing against Methot. Wiercicoh is a no brainer over him though. He'd be snapped up so fast in that draft. Would possibly be the #1 overall pick.

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
Methot is a #4. Wier has looked like a #4 this season and has potential to improve obviously.

Wier has much better hockey skills. His passing is so crisp and nearly flawless. He not a defensive liability, not even close. His size alone gives him very good defensive potential, and we all know about his offensive skills.

This is nothing against Methot. Wiercicoh is a no brainer over him though. He'd be snapped up so fast in that draft. Would possibly be the #1 overall pick.

Methot has been playing against the other teams top players WHILE mentoring a rookie who is below average skater by NHL standards. I doubt very many people who watch the sens would want either to leave but if forced to make a decision your very likely alone on keeping weir over Methot. I guess some people have that "grass is always greener" philosophy.

Also how can you possibly claim Methot is a number 4 as is weir , despite Methot going against tougher players and playing more PK, just assigning an arbitrary number to a player so you do not have ot admit Methot exceeded all of our expectations does not in anyway make it true.

WhiteLight*

Methot has been playing against the other teams top players WHILE mentoring a rookie who is below average skater by NHL standards. I doubt very many people who watch the sens would want either to leave but if forced to make a decision your very likely alone on keeping weir over Methot. I guess some people have that "grass is always greener" philosophy.

First of all, grass is always greener? They are both in the Sens :help:

Second, I haven't followed the matchups as closely the last few games, but during the win streak, Wier and Gonchar were playing against top lines. Not Methot. Gonchar is always the one facing top lines since Karlsson went and Wiercioch has been his partner most of the time.

Lastly, Wier is the ROOKIE. So Methot is a little better now (I have doubts about this because of the offensive side of the game), Wier has potential. The Sens are not in a win now mode, and Wier will be better long term. It's a no brainer to keep PW.

sens613

Apr 12, 2012

Second, I haven't followed the matchups as closely the last few games, but during the win streak, Wier and Gonchar were playing against top lines. Not Methot. Gonchar is always the one facing top lines since Karlsson went and Wiercioch has been his partner most of the time.

Lastly, Wier is the ROOKIE. So Methot is a little better now (I have doubts about this because of the offensive side of the game), Wier has potential. The Sens are not in a win now mode, and Wier will be better long term. It's a no brainer to keep PW.

Grass is always greener meaning you would take the played with under half a season over the nhl veteran who has proved far more :help:.

Wier could all of a sudden develop a mean strike and use his size but he has yet to show any indication he will.

i think Wier will be a fine nhl dman for years to come but to even suggest he is close to Methot who has been our best dman since the injury is a little much. Everyone is entitled to their opinion so i rarely post but when I see the same people trying to force their opnions that clearly are widely viewed as wrong i get a little annoyed. I apologize if you ACTUALLY think Wier is better , not everyoe values skills the same or has played the game.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I`m glad to have both. I like Wiercioch because he has good size & is an excellent skater & has the potential to be a top 2 offensive defenceman who can take some pressure off Karlsson to produce pts. He could be what Bowmeester used to be.

I like Methot because he is an experience defenceman with size & some jam to his game. He seems to be a very good mentor for any of the young guys & plays a solid defensive game. They are different players at different places in their career & both can help Ottawa now & in the future.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i just did this a couple of days ago on the mainboard.

keep in mind:
UFA players dont count - the draft is done in the offseason, usually the day before the entry draft. Dont protect them and they dont count towards the experienced players you leave available.

You have to leave 1 experienced dman available and 2 experienced forwards. If you choose to protect 2 goalies, you must also leave 1 experienced goalie available.

Teams lose 1 player each in a one-team expansion or 2 players each in a 2-team expansion.

In the case of a two-team expansion, you cannot lose more than one goalie+dman. You can lose either one goalie/dman and one forward or two forwards.

Protected (2-3-7)
F Jason Spezza
F Milan Michalek
F Chris Neil
F Kyle Turris
F Colin Greening
F Zack Smith
F Erik Condra

D Erik Karlsson
D Marc Methot
D Jared Cowen

G Craig Anderson
G Robin Lehner

Available
F Daniel Alfredsson (UFA)
F Guillaume Latendresse (UFA)
F Peter Regin (UFA)
F Jim O'Brien (meets experience rules)
F Kaspars Daugavins (meets experience rules)
F David Dziurzinski
F Mike Hoffman
F Corey Cowick
F Hugh Jessiman

D Sergei Gonchar (UFA)
D Chris Phillips (meets experience rules)
D Mike Lundin (UFA)
D Patrick Wiercioch
D Andre Benoit
D Eric Gryba
D Tyler Eckford

G Ben Bishop (*bishop does not have 25 games played in the last two seasons yet - only 18, but if not for the shortened season, he would, and if there were an expansion draft coming, the sens would make sure he hits it in order to protect lehner)
G Nathan Lawson

Exempt
F Mika Zibanejad
F Jakob Silfverberg
F Mark Stone
F Stefan Noesen
F Matt Puempel
F Cole Schneider
F Wacey Hamilton
F Shane Prince
F Stephane Da Costa
F Andre Petersson
F Pat Cannone
F Jakub Culek
F Jean-Gabriel Pageau
F Derek Grant
F Darren Kramer
F Louie Caporusso

D Cody Ceci
D Ben Blood
D Fredrik Claesson
D Mark Borowicki
D Chris Wideman

+all unsigned draft picks

assuming a two-team expansion (and therefore 2 players claimed per team, max 1 dman or goalie), i've bolded most likely to get claimed. I suspect ben bishop would be first or second overall (they always take the goalies first, then dmen, then forwards).

in retrospect, if there were an expansion draft this summer, trading for ben bishop might be considered one of the greatest trades in sens history, despite losing him here. He allows us to protect two goalies (Lehner, Anderson) and also prevents any of our unprotected dmen from being taken due to the max 1 dman or goalie rule.

to some of the comments in this thread:

1. We would probably trade bishop before losing him: No, we actually HAVE to keep and expose bishop in order to protect lehner.
2. Wiercioch/Methot: Dont worry about it. Bishop would get claimed so all our defensemen would be protected by default. No expansion team is going to pass on bishop in hopes of picking up wiercioch or methot.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Weir's going to be 23 this year. Methot is 27. It's not like Methot is some grizzled vet, or that there is much of a difference between their ages...

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON

I get that you like Wiercioch, but definitely not a no-brainer over Methot. It would be a tough call between the two I guess, I'd definitely take Methot but to each his own.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Still trying to figure outthe alignment and how it works in two years.

Phoenix (should) could move and the bet would be Quebec which would overload the east by three and there would probably be then two expansion slots available for Vaughn (Toronto2) and Portland/Seattle or someplace in the west. That overloads the east by 4 so two have to switch out.

It would seem Detroit or Columbus would be one of them with (maybe) the Toronto2 team as the other.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Protected (2-3-7)

Anderson
Lehner
Phillips
Cowen
Karlsson
Greening
Michalek
Neil
Regin
Smith
Spezza
Turris

As to the expansion cities I got Houston and Seattle. Quebec City gets Phoenix, not sure who moves from the West from the East to replace Phoenix in that case.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Let's say that two teams come into the NHL in the 2015/16 season.

By that point, we probably only need to protect Lehner. Andy may not be in the equation by then. That would mean Silf + Zibby, etc would need to be protected though.

Spezza
Michalek
Turris
Zibanejad
Silfverberg
Greening
Smith
Neil
Condra

Karlsson
Methot
Cowen