Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Ismellofhockey said:
If that CBA gets done why couldn't Quebec get its team back?
If economic conditions allowed for the return of Quebec City to the NHL (which I doubt), then half the AHL cities would also be viable.

Tell me, would a league headquartered in New York City pursuing US television advertising dollars prefer Quebec City as a market over Grand Rapids Michigan?

No.

mooseOAK*

PanthersRule said:
No it's not.

There's:

football
poker :joker:
college football
baseball
college basketball
basketball
NASCAR
soccer
men's weightlifting
women's tennis
men's tennis
hockey
WNBA :joker: :lol
it's sad

But at least in FLA, only the Dolphins get more ppl when they win.

Hockey generates more advertising revenues than a lot of those sports because the audience is more affluent.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Jacques Plante said:
Hopefully Quecbec City and Winnipeg get NHL clubs one way or another. These 2 markets deserve teams and it would be great for hockey. If those were the 2 included teams I could live a 32 team league.

Quebec still doesn't have a capable facility

winnipeg I think can be expanded to 17000 with their new arena..... but even 17000 in this day and age is a tad on the smaller side :dunno:

Most of the newer bulding seem to hold at least 18,500... and even 21,273 in montreal

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
If economic conditions allowed for the return of Quebec City to the NHL (which I doubt), then half the AHL cities would also be viable.

Tell me, would a league headquartered in New York City pursuing US television advertising dollars prefer Quebec City as a market over Grand Rapids Michigan?

No.

Yes because US television markets aren't responding to the NHL. TV revenue in Canada is big for the NHL, don't dismiss it. Also, a team in Quebec does not preclude a team in Grand Rapids. Quebec isn't far from Calgary in terms of size.

As for facilities, Winnipeg's is expandable to 18,500 while Quebec may not have a facility but then no US market has one either.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Expansion?!

Try Contraction by 6 teams. Try leaving the Sunbelt and out west. Try going to 24 teams and putting 11 teams in Canada & 13 in the States, all focused in strong hockey markets. Substancially lower ticket prices and play some hockey where people care about it.

Vancouver Canucks
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Saskatchewan Kings
Winnipeg Jets
Hamilton Tigers
Toronto Maple Leafs
Ottawa Senators
Montreal Canadiens
Quebec City Nordiques
Halifax Mariners
-
Dakota Eagles (Grand Forks, ND)
Minnesota Wild
Milwalkee Chiefs
Chicago Blackhawks
Detroit Red Wings
Buffalo Sabres
Philadelphia Flyers
New York Rangers
Boston Bruins
Hartford Whalers
Colorado Avalanche
St. Louis Blues
Dallas Stars

All these places are strong hockey markets, either in professional, collegiate, grassroots or all categories.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
I.am.ca said:
And you know this how?
How do you know half the "facts" you're throwing out? If you want someone else to back up what he's saying, maybe you should do the same.

BR - You made a statement somewhere in this thread that "NHL owners like expansion money". Depending on expansion money contributed to the problems they're having now, so to me they should really be looking elsewhere for revenue.

acr*

no13matssundin said:
Expansion?!

Try Contraction by 6 teams. Try leaving the Sunbelt and out west. Try going to 24 teams and putting 11 teams in Canada & 13 in the States, all focused in strong hockey markets. Substancially lower ticket prices and play some hockey where people care about it.

Vancouver Canucks
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Saskatchewan Kings
Winnipeg Jets
Hamilton Tigers
Toronto Maple Leafs
Ottawa Senators
Montreal Canadiens
Quebec City Nordiques
Halifax Mariners
-
Dakota Eagles (Grand Forks, ND)
Minnesota Wild
Milwalkee Chiefs
Chicago Blackhawks
Detroit Red Wings
Buffalo Sabres
Philadelphia Flyers
New York Rangers
Boston Bruins
Hartford Whalers
Colorado Avalanche
St. Louis Blues
Dallas Stars

All these places are strong hockey markets, either in professional, collegiate, grassroots or all categories.

That'd never work. Sasketchewan and Winnipeg couldn't both have a team and pull in decent profit(both need the other's fanbase to help them out), Hamilton is basically touching both Toronto and Buffalo, how could that work?

Jazz

theo14 said:
please god, Seattle Wa or Portland Ore.
Agreed! :yo:

Tha ACE said:
...Seattle WA: The Key Center is outdated and needs to be replaced. Seattle is too close to Vancouver, I guess.
Flame_Star_Devil said:
....Portland, though Vancouver wouldn't be happy...
No problems here (from a Vancouver point of view).

Heck the Canucks would be elated if both were admitted, especially for travel reasons. With Seattle, the Canucks won't worry about losing any fans - in fact, I'm sure some Vancouver fans along the border would get tickets for some Seattle games, and bus-loads would go when the Canucks go down there. With Portland, don't discount it yet - Paul Allen (owner of the NBA's Trailblazers) has said repeatedly in the past that he'd only be interested in the NHL once it got it's financial mess in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad