Speculation: Expansion Talk

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Embedding tweets on my phone is a pain in the ass, but Dreger added most GM's feel 1 team will be added, which will be a team in Vegas.

So most likely, I think we see Howard go.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Means they are debating if 5 or 6 Forwards
or 3 or 4 D-men
and 1 Goalie would be the "protection list"

Our Protection List: (Short List)

G: Mrazek
D: Kronwall
D: Green
D: Dekeyser
F: Larkin
F: Nyquist
F: Tatar
F: Datsyuk
F: Zetterberg

Our Protection List: (Long List) (includes a 6th F and 4th D)
D: ???
F: ???

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
or 3 or 4 D-men

First and second year NHL players will be exempt from expansion draft.

So no need to include Larkin, and not sure about Mrazek.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Since the draft would be 17-18, Larkin, Mantha, AA and Marchy aren't exempt right?

I was going to answer on the main page but wasn't sure of that aspect.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Howard is not likely to be selected. Why take Howard @ 5.3M if you're an expansion team when there are other mid range starting options making ~3.5M?

And they'd be likely to try to swipe Jurco, Sheahan, Pulkkinen, etc. since the Wings can't protect all of them. Hell, they might even take a guy like Glendening.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Howard is not likely to be selected. Why take Howard @ 5.3M if you're an expansion team when there are other mid range starting options making ~3.5M?.

Because those options will likely be protected, whereas Howard won't?

I don't think there's even many teams in the league with 2 starting caliber goalies, much less 2 ones on good contracts. So I'm imagining any starting goalie with a good cap hit is easily protected.

Probably only overpaid starters and goalie prospects will be options, I imagine.

Last edited:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Howard is not likely to be selected. Why take Howard @ 5.3M if you're an expansion team when there are other mid range starting options making ~3.5M?

And they'd be likely to try to swipe Jurco, Sheahan, Pulkkinen, etc. since the Wings can't protect all of them. Hell, they might even take a guy like Glendening.

Because there is a cap floor that they have to hit. Thats why.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
or 3 or 4 D-men

First and second year NHL players will be exempt from expansion draft.

So no need to include Larkin, and not sure about Mrazek.

I believe it is first or second year PROS which includes the AHL, so we would need to protect Mantha.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
F: Z, Dats, D-Boss, Mantha, AA, Nyquist/Tatar (Could see them protecting Gator too)

D: Kronwall, DD, Green

All and all this is dumb. If anything the NHL needs about 2-4 less teams not 2 more.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
We also have to remember that this draft will likely happen after NEXT season. So, if we bring in a big item UFA this off-season, we will need to protect them too. Fortunately they will only be able to take 1 player from the team.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
F: Z, Dats, D-Boss, Mantha, AA, Nyquist/Tatar (Could see them protecting Gator too)

D: Kronwall, DD, Green

All and all this is dumb. If anything the NHL needs about 2-4 less teams not 2 more.

No need to include Larkin, Mantha and AA they're already exempt, If i'm not mistaken any player currently on their ELCs is automatically exempt i believe. If it's the 2017/18 expansion draft then most likely Datsyuk will be done retired most likely unless he plays for one more season in the new arena which could be possible.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Why wouldn't they take Howard, Expansion team still has to meet the cap floor and if taking on Howard's $5.3M salary helps them to meet that cap floor sure they would take him nothing wrong with $5.3M for 2 more years.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the expansion draft were to be in 2017, that would mean any Wing or Griffin player playing now would be eligible to be drafted (2017 -2 year "pro")

Edit: never mind 3 year pros would be eligible meaning anyone who played pro in 2014

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Because there is a cap floor that they have to hit. Thats why.

expansion team(s) have other ways to hit the cap floor. skaters are better option. only need 2 goalies so it would make sense to take the best option in terms of performance. hitting the cap floor should't be that hard anyway.

tampa has to choose between bishop/vasilevskiy. pittsburgh with fleury/murray.

it's a no brainer to take one of those guys, especially as fleury/bishop would also help them to reach cap floor.

of course it's possible that pitt and tampa trades one of their goalies and the new destinations protect them. possibly leaving howard as one of the best options.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
expansion team(s) have other ways to hit the cap floor. skaters are better option. only need 2 goalies so it would make sense to take the best option in terms of performance. hitting the cap floor should't be that hard anyway.

tampa has to choose between bishop/vasilevskiy. pittsburgh with fleury/murray.

it's a no brainer to take one of those guys, especially as fleury/bishop would also help them to reach cap floor.

of course it's possible that pitt and tampa trades one of their goalies and the new destinations protect them. possibly leaving howard as one of the best options.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an option that allowed to save 2 goalies. Even with that though there are plenty of decent and cheap goalies available. The goalie market is saturated and shows no signs of tightening up. Said it before but relying on the expansion draft to fix out cap issues is a terrible way to go about things.

There is the real possibility that Howard, Ericsson, or whoever on our team doesn't get picked.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
No need to include Larkin, Mantha and AA they're already exempt, If i'm not mistaken any player currently on their ELCs is automatically exempt i believe. If it's the 2017/18 expansion draft then most likely Datsyuk will be done retired most likely unless he plays for one more season in the new arena which could be possible.
They have to be on year 1 or year 2 of their ELC, and that includes AHL time apparently. So Mantha shouldn't need to be protected, but some of the others might. Basically our entire AHL defensive group could go somewhere else.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Haven't seen to much info on NTCs and NMCs.

Gotta think with how prevalent NTCs are now they'll be exposed with NMCs being the only mandatory protect.

The league has hinted Article 11.8, Section (c) of the CBA gives it reason to believe an NMC does not protect anyone from being selected by a potential Las Vegas or Quebec City franchise. That paragraph reads, “A no-move clause may prevent the involuntary relocation of a Player, whether by Trade, Loan or Waiver claim.†There’s nothing about expansion.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-getting-closer-expansion-answers/

Remains to be seen if an expansion claim is going to be perceived as a waiver claim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad