Expansion Question - Exposing Goalies

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Hey All,

So there is a situation the Jets are in at the moment. Right now, I think almost all Jets fans think that Hellebuyck needs to stay with the big club while Comrie takes the reigns on the Moose. In order to do that, we would need to send Hutchinson down. I don't believe that he would pass waivers and we will end up losing him. Key thing there is that we need to keep him as he's the goalie we will expose to the expansion draft.

If we decide to run with Hellebuyck and Pavs and lose Hutchinson, can we sign any basic UFA goalie and expose them to the expansion draft?

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
They couldn't protect both Helle and Pavs, though, could they?

Only able to protect one goalie?

I mean, the Avs are in a similar situation.
They want to keep Varlamov and Pickard.
They can't just sign any old goalie and say, "There's our expansion fodder".
One of Varly or Picks will be available...

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
They couldn't protect both Helle and Pavs, though, could they?

Only able to protect one goalie?

I mean, the Avs are in a similar situation.
They want to keep Varlamov and Pickard.
They can't just sign any old goalie and say, "There's our expansion fodder".
One of Varly or Picks will be available...

Avs actually have two competent goalies though. Jets only have Hellebuyck. Pavelec is a UFA to be and in no rational world do the Jets protect him even if he was signed. The expansion draft rules say you must expose one goalie with a contract for 17-18. Right now the Jets would protect Hellebuyck, expose Hutchinson and Comrie is exempt. Pavelec would be unprotected but since he does not meet criteria for goalie non-protected they would need another goalie to unprotect if in the unlikely scenario that Hutchinson was claimed off waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad