News Article: Expansion Plan: Projecting the Ottawa Senators’ Protection List for the 2021 Expansion Draft

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Well I guess I meant when you have too many exempt players.
Hard to say, I assume that they wouldn't be meeting the requirements put into the contract with the new franchise and wouldn't receive their part if the expansion fee. I'm just speculating though. Maybe they'd be required to expose a player who would otherwise be exempt.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
We didn't get firsts for Stone or Duchene. Lower your expectations.
I hear that, but at the trade deadline if a team was looking to strengthen their lot, maybe one of them plus would generate a good return. Anderson and Demelo; Anderson and Tierney type of trade. Expiring contract plus a reasonable addition at the right time of year. Be a low first, but its a good draft. There were some pretty good returns last TDL for similar I believe.

Not the place for it I know.

I'd go 7 + 3

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Are the rules the same as the Vegas expansion? If so, we won't have to protect a number of our young players because they won't even be eligible.

Expansion Draft: Full Rules

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Player Exposure Requirements
* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:
i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.
ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.
iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.
* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.

That suggests that the eligible players are:
Forwards: Ryan, Anismov, Tierney, C. Brown, Duclair, White, Balcers, Paul, Chlapik, Rodewald, Carcone, Klimchuk
Defense: Zaitsev, Jaros, Chabot, Lajoie, Ebert, Englund
Goaltenders: Nilsson, Hogberg

Therefore to meet the minimum requirements one of Nilsson or Hogberg will have to be exposed. One of Chabot, Zaitsev, Lajoie and Jaros will have to be exposed. Two of Ryan, Anisimov, Tierney, C. Brown, Duclair and White will have to be exposed.

I assume they will protect Hogberg and leave Nilsson exposed. Both White and Chabot will be protected. I think they protect Jaros and leave Zaitsev and Lajoie exposed. Best case scenario is both Ryan and Anisimov are exposed bu Ryan does have the right to refuse to waive his NMC, so there is a good chance that one of Tierney, C. Brown or Duclair will have to be exposed as well.

As for the rest eligible players they will likely protect players that perform well this season. For example both Paul and Chlapik need to take a step forward this season. If Paul performs in the NHL the way he did in the AHL last season then they will protect him.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Are the rules the same as the Vegas expansion? If so, we won't have to protect a number of our young players because they won't even be eligible.

The wording is strange if I remember correct, but it speaks about "accumlated pro years" not necessarilly years in the NHL. I just know that a lot of our young guys DO need to be protected (Batherson, Brown, Jaros, Lajoie, ect).

We have may been in a position where we fell short of expansion requirements if it was a year earlier, but as is the team has more than enough pieces for Seattle to pick from.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
The wording is strange if I remember correct, but it speaks about "accumlated pro years" not necessarilly years in the NHL. I just know that a lot of our young guys DO need to be protected (Batherson, Brown, Jaros, Lajoie, ect).

We have may been in a position where we fell short of expansion requirements if it was a year earlier, but as is the team has more than enough pieces for Seattle to pick from.

I took that into account when I put together the list. Batherson and Brown would still be second year pros because they only started playing in the AHL last season. Jaros and Lajoie have a bit more experience than that so that makes them eligible and they need to be protected.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I took that into account when I put together the list. Batherson and Brown would still be second year pros because they only started playing in the AHL last season. Jaros and Lajoie have a bit more experience than that so that makes them eligible and they need to be protected.

The expansion draft is in summer of 2021 - Batherson and Brown will be third year professionals then. They will require protection.

Our only exemptions of any note - as of now - are Brannstrom, Norris and Formenton.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I believe Ryan has an NTC, and is eligible to be exposed.

We didn't protect him for the Vegas expansion draft. He was avail for the Knights to take.

I assume nothing will change in that regard - we still won't be forced into spending a protection slot on Ryan, and he'll be available for Seattle to pick if they want to (bold prediction: they won't).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ice-Tray

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Yeah, I guess I should have used better examples. Guys like Tkachuk and Abramov will need to be protected by then as well, given that they'll have accrued 2 pro seasons by the time the expansion draft rolls around.

Doesn't leave much room for the "Nick Paul" types, even if he does take a step forward this season.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
We didn't protect him for the Vegas expansion draft. He was avail for the Knights to take.

I assume nothing will change in that regard - we still won't be forced into spending a protection slot on Ryan, and he'll be available for Seattle to pick if they want to (bold prediction: they won't).

Ryan's NMC had special language in it that resulted in the Senators not having to protect him without Ryan having to be approached about waiving. It was a unique situation. I don't think there was another player in the NHL with a NMC who was in the same boat. I remember everybody being surprised when the NHL released the official list of players who had to be protected, and Ryan wasn't on it.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Obviously this just shows that PD is outsmarting everyone :) He won't lose anyone of importance. Well played PD, well played. (Yes, I am being facetious)

Reactions: Variable26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->