News Article: Expansion Plan: Projecting the Ottawa Senators’ Protection List for the 2021 Expansion Draft

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators' started by Variable26, Aug 11, 2019.

1. FolignoQuantumLeap

FolignoQuantumLeap Its a trap

Hard to say, I assume that they wouldn't be meeting the requirements put into the contract with the new franchise and wouldn't receive their part if the expansion fee. I'm just speculating though. Maybe they'd be required to expose a player who would otherwise be exempt.

2. operasen

operasen Registered User

I hear that, but at the trade deadline if a team was looking to strengthen their lot, maybe one of them plus would generate a good return. Anderson and Demelo; Anderson and Tierney type of trade. Expiring contract plus a reasonable addition at the right time of year. Be a low first, but its a good draft. There were some pretty good returns last TDL for similar I believe.

Not the place for it I know.

I'd go 7 + 3

3. RAFI BOMB

RAFI BOMB Registered User

Are the rules the same as the Vegas expansion? If so, we won't have to protect a number of our young players because they won't even be eligible.

Expansion Draft: Full Rules

That suggests that the eligible players are:
    Forwards: Ryan, Anismov, Tierney, C. Brown, Duclair, White, Balcers, Paul, Chlapik, Rodewald, Carcone, Klimchuk
    Defense: Zaitsev, Jaros, Chabot, Lajoie, Ebert, Englund
    Goaltenders: Nilsson, Hogberg

Therefore to meet the minimum requirements one of Nilsson or Hogberg will have to be exposed. One of Chabot, Zaitsev, Lajoie and Jaros will have to be exposed. Two of Ryan, Anisimov, Tierney, C. Brown, Duclair and White will have to be exposed.

I assume they will protect Hogberg and leave Nilsson exposed. Both White and Chabot will be protected. I think they protect Jaros and leave Zaitsev and Lajoie exposed. Best case scenario is both Ryan and Anisimov are exposed bu Ryan does have the right to refuse to waive his NMC, so there is a good chance that one of Tierney, C. Brown or Duclair will have to be exposed as well.

As for the rest eligible players they will likely protect players that perform well this season. For example both Paul and Chlapik need to take a step forward this season. If Paul performs in the NHL the way he did in the AHL last season then they will protect him.

4. Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray Registered User

I believe Ryan has an NTC, and is eligible to be exposed.

5. stempniaksen

stempniaksen Registered User

The wording is strange if I remember correct, but it speaks about "accumlated pro years" not necessarilly years in the NHL. I just know that a lot of our young guys DO need to be protected (Batherson, Brown, Jaros, Lajoie, ect).

We have may been in a position where we fell short of expansion requirements if it was a year earlier, but as is the team has more than enough pieces for Seattle to pick from.

6. RAFI BOMB

RAFI BOMB Registered User

I took that into account when I put together the list. Batherson and Brown would still be second year pros because they only started playing in the AHL last season. Jaros and Lajoie have a bit more experience than that so that makes them eligible and they need to be protected.

7. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Meaningless leaning mess

The expansion draft is in summer of 2021 - Batherson and Brown will be third year professionals then. They will require protection.

Our only exemptions of any note - as of now - are Brannstrom, Norris and Formenton.

danielpalfredsson likes this.
  8. BonkTastic

BonkTastic ಠ_ಠ

We didn't protect him for the Vegas expansion draft. He was avail for the Knights to take.

I assume nothing will change in that regard - we still won't be forced into spending a protection slot on Ryan, and he'll be available for Seattle to pick if they want to (bold prediction: they won't).

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Ice-Tray likes this.
  9. stempniaksen

stempniaksen Registered User

Yeah, I guess I should have used better examples. Guys like Tkachuk and Abramov will need to be protected by then as well, given that they'll have accrued 2 pro seasons by the time the expansion draft rolls around.

Doesn't leave much room for the "Nick Paul" types, even if he does take a step forward this season.

10. danielpalfredsson

danielpalfredsson why you zaitsev to be mad its only a trade

not a schmohawk
    Ryan's NMC had special language in it that resulted in the Senators not having to protect him without Ryan having to be approached about waiving. It was a unique situation. I don't think there was another player in the NHL with a NMC who was in the same boat. I remember everybody being surprised when the NHL released the official list of players who had to be protected, and Ryan wasn't on it.

11. OgieO

OgieO Registered User

Obviously this just shows that PD is outsmarting everyone :) He won't lose anyone of importance. Well played PD, well played. (Yes, I am being facetious)

Variable26 likes this.