News Article: Expansion Plan: Projecting the Ottawa Senators’ Protection List for the 2021 Expansion Draft

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Chances are there won't be a single Senators player on the roster in 2021 who was protected in 2017, but that's the result of the full-scale roster reset the franchise is undergoing

THE NO BRAINER: Chabot is considered by some to be a future Norris Trophy contending defenseman and he’s already shown the kind of offensive upside that can make him a cornerstone for the franchise. Nothing was ever going to make the departure of Karlsson easy, but Chabot’s arrival took a bit of the sting off of the Senators trading the best player in franchise history.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/expansion-plan-projecting-the-ottawa-senators-protection-list-for-the-2021-expansion-draft

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Man thats sad...

With that said, one issue at first glance I see is I’d protect Tierney over Chlapik.

Tierney could garner a late 1st from someone at the TDL or 2nd + decent prospect. Those two options > Chlapik

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
In case nobody reads the article, the author is suggesting the following as our "protected" list:

PROTECTED (7F, 3D, 1G):
Forwards:
  • Brady Tkachuk
  • Colin White
  • Connor Brown
  • Logan Brown
  • Drake Batherson
  • Vitaly Abramov
  • Filip Chlapik
Defensemen:
  • Thomas Chabot
  • Maxime Lajoie
  • Christian Wolanin
Goaltenders:
  • Filip Gustavsson

Some thoughts on my end...
a) Notable draft exemptions (that we don't have to spend a protection slot on) are: Brannstrom, Norris, Formenton

b) Pageau is a potential UFA, which according to the rules for this hypothetical scenario the author laid out means he's not protected - obviously things might change if we re-sign him. I have to assume Pager gets the nod over Chlapik if he stays.

c) Speaking of Chlapik... him being protected over Tierney seems odd, despite my lack of any real attachment or high praise for Tierney.

d) Guys who the author just flat out doesn't even mention - Balcers, Veronneau, Demelo. Like... doesn't even type the word Demelo. Seriously. Go try a "ctrl-F" search. He's nowhere to be found. For reals. And you know what? Jaros too. This guy is protecting Max Lajoie over Jaros or Demelo, who apparently have been banished to the shadow dimension.

e) Lajoie being protected means Zaitsev is left avail to Seattle to draft for free, which seems obvious to almost anyone but serves to effectively underline our blueline issues. Because Lajoie is probably only going to realistically pan out as a 3rd pairing guy, unless something really changes. But then again, we have to go back and consider that the author seemingly forgetting that Demelo or Jaros exist on this earth (as referenced above). I mean... Demelo isn't my favorite Senator, but I'll protect him over Lajoie, who might still be in the AHL by the time the expansion draft happens. Jaros too.

f) Bobby Ryan sucks two butts.

Last edited:

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Yeah, Chabot, Wolanin, Jaros for me.
I’d trade both Tierney and Demelo at the TDL this coming year. Looking for a first somewhere.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Yeah, Chabot, Wolanin, Jaros for me.
I’d trade both Tierney and Demelo at the TDL this coming year. Looking for a first somewhere.
I think both Tierney and Demelo will be our best (non future) trade bait at the deadline, although if Duclair doesn't fit the defensive and locker room model they are developing he might be available. Both needing contracts so should be playing their butts off this year looking for the big contract. Unless Ottawa plans to pick up a "end of their career" UFA RD next summer or Brannstrom prefers & excels at RD I think they will hold onto Demelo and sign him for a 1 or 2 year contract. We will have Zaitsev and Jaros on RD, and JBD will likely leave college after this season, meaning he will be in the AHL next year, and if he is looking slow in development then 2 years.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think there's a world where we go 4 and 4 and keep Batherson, Brown, White, Tkachuk, Chabot, Wolanin, Lajoie, Jaros.

I have a hard time seeing Abramov and/or Chlapik being protected (even if we go 7/3) given that the org will likely prioritize Tierney, JGP (if re-signed) or someone who isn't even on the roster yet (we're in a good spot to take on a forward pre-expansion).

Kind of a silly exercise given how much turnover is still to come for this roster.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I wonder what kind of sweetener it would require for Seattle to take Ryan. We're gonna have loads of ancillary peices we can part with. Would be a lot of money to go towards Tkachuk and Chabot.

Something like Lajoie/Davidsson, goalie prospect, pick + Ryan.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
I wonder what kind of sweetener it would require for Seattle to take Ryan. We're gonna have loads of ancillary peices we can part with. Would be a lot of money to go towards Tkachuk and Chabot.

Something like Lajoie/Davidsson, goalie prospect, pick + Ryan.
Seems like a lot for 1 year of Ryan, although we should be over the cap floor without LTIRs at that point so maybe Melnyk will want to save the cash.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Seems like a lot for 1 year of Ryan, although we should be over the cap floor without LTIRs at that point so maybe Melnyk will want to save the cash.
I'm kinda viewing it through the lens that IF (and that's a Yukon sized IF) Tkachuk and Chabot were to be re-signed, Melnyk would probably pushed to his absolute limit on salaries. Chabot is probably about a 9M player, Tkachuk in the 7M ball park. Then there's the possibility of a breakout for Batherson who could also be an expensive player in the future.

That is probably too much for one year of Ryan though. But I assume Melnyk will be very desperate at that point to shed salary.

It also protects some other players by forcing them into selecting Ryan.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We're at a point where we might not have enough bodies who are eligible to be exposed for the draft. All depends on whatever ruleset they come up with this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad