Expansion draft

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
I didn't see a thread, anyone have a good handle on who the Flyers would protect, who might be exposed, trades/deals, etc.?

I tried to figure out who has to be protected, who might be gone, and it made my head hurt.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I think in a perfect world with all comebacks going well this would be the list we would like to see with Patrick and Lindblom back and playing well.
7f
G (NMC)
Hayes(NMC)
Couts
Konecky
Patrick
Lindblom
Voracek

Out Kubel. JVR. (laughton ufa)If you are a gambler you can expose Voracek and keep Kubel but considering Voracek's play this year I'll say he stays. Kubel in for Patrick or Lindblom if they can never play again. JVR ain't bad but if taken, it helps solves salary cap issues.

3d
Myers
Sanheim
provorov

Out Ghost

easy list to make. There is a way I suppose where Ghost returns to couple year ago form, Patrick, Lindblom don't recover and you go 4x4. But that is long shot.

1G
Hart

out TBD

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Yeah seem pretty straightforward and non franchise crushing if the GM doesn't outsmart himself this time. Lose a player from the above non protected list and move on. Replace with the ample depth they should have available by then. Seattle probably goes with a point producing American like JVR or Gost so they are happy with a gate attraction and they will need to add salary so perfect for them.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, it probably depends if there's a 2020-21 season and how players look.
Patrick/Lindblom are ???
Voracek/JVR are similar, both offensive players with big contracts, depends on who look like they have something left after next season, and Voracek having that extra year on his contract.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Its still too early. There will be unpredictable roster turnover between now and then...but if there is not.

I think we go 7-3-1

Giroux (NMC)
Hayes (NMC)
Couturier
Konecny
Voracek
Lindblom
Patrick

Provorov
Sanheim
Myers

Hart

I am optimistic for both Oskar and Nolan.

BlackandOrange

Jul 12, 2018
Breadalbane, PE
I believe unless Patrick plays a full season or lights it up for half a season, his health will scare Seattle away and will serve as an unofficial 8th slot. Same thing with Lindblom, he would need a half season at this season’s level.

7F: Giroux, Coots, TK, Hayes, Voracek, NAK, Laughton (resigned)
3D: Provorov, Sanheim, Myers
1G: Hart

That leaves JVR and Ghost as the two big exposures. For big contracts, I also believe JVR would handle being exposed and not selected better than Voracek. Anyways there are a lot of question marks that will sort themselves out after next season. Heck if Shayne bounces back and has a great year, go 4-4-1 and just keep the first four forwards I listed. Obviously a healthy Oskar and Nolan make it more complicated. I would take healthy them over the last three forwards I listed. (edit: Voracek for cap purposes, the other two for superior play)

Last edited:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Seems about right. I would see about trading Ghost prior to the draft though. Even if he doesn't go back to what we thought he would be I am sure you can get something for him and expose someone else.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just thinking about this tonight.

Patrick has to play at least 40 games to be eligible, or he is exempt.
NAK has to play 34 games to be eligible

So....if Patrick plays 39 games....we don't have to protect him and then would protect NAK(assuming he plays his 34). But then there becomes an issue. We HAVE to expose 2 forwards who have played 40 games this coming year or 70 in the last 2 years.

So we "could" be in a situation where we might need to actually acquire a forward after the season, but before expansion so we can expose them....along with JVR. Or acquire a better person than NAK and expose NAK.

Maybe that's where trading Ghost at the end of next year might make the most sense....in a deal for that forward. Just an interesting wrinkle that could come into play. Hopefully Patrick plays 70+ games and plays well and this isn't needed....but it could be an issue.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

So....if Patrick plays 39 games....we don't have to protect him and then would protect NAK(assuming he plays his 34). But then there becomes an issue. We HAVE to expose 2 forwards who have played 40 games this coming year or 70 in the last 2 years.

So we "could" be in a situation where we might need to actually acquire a forward after the season, but before expansion so we can expose them....along with JVR. Or acquire a better person than NAK and expose NAK.

Maybe that's where trading Ghost at the end of next year might make the most sense....in a deal for that forward. Just an interesting wrinkle that could come into play. Hopefully Patrick plays 70+ games and plays well and this isn't needed....but it could be an issue.
To double up on this what if Canada is still not open and the schedule is only 48 games. Will the games be prorated this year? With the forward depth it wouldn't be hard to only play Kubel 32 out of 48 and not expose.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
If Gostisbehere bounces back and the Flyers aren't willing to keep him, then they should look for a trade. That's too much value to simply give up

Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Gostisbehere bounces back and the Flyers aren't willing to keep him, then they should look for a trade. That's too much value to simply give up

If I were Fletcher, I'd wait until the TDL, see how Zamula, Hogberg, Morin and Wylie are progressing, whether York, Andrae and Millman are close to pro hockey, and how Gus, Ghost and Friedman are playing, and think about trading a D-man for maximum value.

The nice thing is he doesn't HAVE to do anything, he can wait until after the playoffs and see if teams want to make pre-ED deals (some team with only 2 D-men worth protecting might value Ghost).

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Protected list should be pretty simple. The only thing I will add is that it seems fairly important for JVR to get selected due to the salary cap. Sanheim, Patrick, Hart contracts will add a lot of money if things go well with Coots, Giroux, Farabee (And Hagg) up the year after

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
If I were Fletcher, I'd wait until the TDL, see how Zamula, Hogberg, Morin and Wylie are progressing, whether York, Andrae and Millman are close to pro hockey, and how Gus, Ghost and Friedman are playing, and think about trading a D-man for maximum value.

The nice thing is he doesn't HAVE to do anything, he can wait until after the playoffs and see if teams want to make pre-ED deals (some team with only 2 D-men worth protecting might value Ghost).
I don't think Fletcher will trade a defenseman at the deadline unless we miss the playoffs. At this point I think it's highly unlikely that Ghost will get traded before the ED.
I think the only question is will he play well enough for Seattle to actually pick him.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Those GP numbers will end up being pro-rated to account for the 2021 season not being a full 82 games. But if they are desperate for a cheap forward to expose they could extend Raffl at $1m. He only has 3 GR.

NAK only has 21 GR according to CapFriendly.

Seattle Expansion Draft Simulator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Playoff games count and he played 13 of those + 36 regular season games.

Nicolas Aubé-Kubel - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Another way to go would be to expose JVR + Voracek, and protect NAK. Maybe Seattle take Jake, but with the cap being flat that wouldn't be nearly as likely as it would have been pre-Covid.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Another way to go would be to expose JVR + Voracek, and protect NAK. Maybe Seattle take Jake, but with the cap being flat that wouldn't be nearly as likely as it would have been pre-Covid.
You really think Seattle would pick NAK over 2 years of JVR or 3 years of Voracek? NAK has been fine, but it's not like he has top 6 upside.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You really think Seattle would pick NAK over 2 years of JVR or 3 years of Voracek? NAK has been fine, but it's not like he has top 6 upside.

It's definitely a possibility. They have to fill out an NHL roster not a video game roster. Vegas was criticized for some of their selections at the time, passing up on top 6 players for bottom 6 ones, but in retrospect it made sense. They are going to lean heavily into analytics too and NAK shines there. I would not be at all surprised if NAK is picked. In fact, if it's a forward, I would put money on it being him.

Reactions: Curufinwe

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
It's definitely a possibility. They have to fill out an NHL roster not a video game roster. Vegas was criticized for some of their selections at the time, passing up on top 6 players for bottom 6 ones, but in retrospect it made sense. They are going to lean heavily into analytics too and NAK shines there. I would not be at all surprised if NAK is picked. In fact, if it's a forward, I would put money on it being him.
They still need a capable top 6 though. Both JVR and Voracek should be among BPA available for their positions. Vegas picked James Neal and JVR is twice the player Neal was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad