Expansion draft; which dman are protected?

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Heiskanen of course is one; leaving two of Klingberg, Lindell and possibly Oleksiak.

I love Lindell but at 5.8per and the Stars want to keep Klingberg (he’ll want a 4/5 contract or so) when his contract is up they may need to save some salary.

If they resign Oleksiak at a much cheaper contract compared to Lindell as well as having Harley come in next season could Lindell possibly be left open for Seattle?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars won't re-sign Oleksiak pre-expansion draft. Makes no sense for either side.

Also no way Harley is playing much next year. By the time he'll return to the Stars from WJC training camp is already under way . Pretty sure he will not even be an option for the coaching staff for first couple of games of the season.

Last edited:

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Stars won't re-sign Oleksiak pre-expansion draft. Makes no sense for either side.

Also no way Harley is playing much next year. By the time he'll returns to the Stars from WJC training camp is already under way . Pretty sure he will not even be an option for the coaching staff for first couple of games of the season.
Sorry was talking about him heading into the 21-22 season; post was a little confusing.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
There is a chance the Stars could expose Esa in the expansion draft is he has a terrible year because its the last year before his NMC kicks in but it seems unlikely to me. Who else are they going to protect ? Sekera ? Everybody else outside Klinger and Miro are either UFA , exempt or not worth protecting or picking him. Not to mention they're not going to go 8F/D 1G

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Oleksiak; say he has another good season and they sign him for 3 years at 3.5/4.2 million before the offseason saving money on a top-4 dman; Lindell is making 5.8 and that would open up cap space to give Heiskanen, Klingberg and others.

I agree they will protect the top three and worry about cap in a few years. If they want to keep Klingberg though on a flat cap they need to start thinking ahead.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Oleksiak; say he has another good season and they sign him for 3 years at 3.5/4.2 million before the offseason saving money on a top-4 dman.

Oleksiak is not going to re-sign before the expansion draft. If he has a good year he will want to test the market. If he doesn't there's a chance he would get exposed in the expansion draft ( since he won't get a NMC ) if he re-signs before the expansion draft. Thats less than ideal .

Its also less than ideal for the Stars. Just keep it as 3 defeseman you want to have to protect . You can allways chose to not protect Esa later.

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Oleksiak is not going to re-sign before the expansion draft. If he has a good year he will want to test the market. If he doesn't there's a chance he would get exposed in the expansion draft ( since he won't get a NMC ) if he re-signs before the expansion draft. Thats less than ideal .

Its also less than ideal for the Stars. Just keep it as 3 defeseman you want to have to protect . You can allways chose to not protect Esa later.
Was just thinking about money by the time we need to resign Klingberg but guys like Cogliano, Comeau, Pavelski, Radulov will be off the books by then.

True; we don’t need to try and get Oleksiak on a deal and open up Lindell.

Last edited:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Not sure why the focus is on what Oleksiak does.
In no world does he overtake Lindell and if he has a season as strong as his playoffs, it's because he's stapled next to Heiskanen all year.
I mean he's already 28, he's older and worse than Lindell as is, significantly enough that if the option is Oleksiak at 3.5 or Lindell at 5.8 you find that 2.3 million somewhere else to cut. Let alone if he gets anywhere near the 4.2 you threw out.
At 28 It's extremely unlikely he becomes anything more than a passable 2nd pairing option(but who isn't next to Heiskanen?) who probably should be a 3rd pair guy.
Harley doesn't make Lindell expendable either. Completely different skillet.
If anything his skill set overlaps best with Klingberg and those are big shoes to fill for a player who would have barely 1.5 season when Klingbergs contract is up.

Lindell is getting protected unless he completely falls off a cliff Ala Benn. But that's even less likely than Oleksiak having a season strong enough to consider protecting him

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Not sure why the focus is on what Oleksiak does.
In no world does he overtake Lindell and if he has a season as strong as his playoffs, it's because he's stapled next to Heiskanen all year.
I mean he's already 28, he's older and worse than Lindell as is, significantly enough that if the option is Oleksiak at 3.5 or Lindell at 5.8 you find that 2.3 million somewhere else to cut. Let alone if he gets anywhere near the 4.2 you threw out.
At 28 It's extremely unlikely he becomes anything more than a passable 2nd pairing option(but who isn't next to Heiskanen?) who probably should be a 3rd pair guy.
Harley doesn't make Lindell expendable either. Completely different skillet.
If anything his skill set overlaps best with Klingberg and those are big shoes to fill for a player who would have barely 1.5 season when Klingbergs contract is up.

Lindell is getting protected unless he completely falls off a cliff Ala Benn. But that's even less likely than Oleksiak having a season strong enough to consider protecting him

Even if Oleksiak has a strong enough season . He's not going to re-sign prior to the expansion draft in that case. His next deal will be likely the biggest contract he will ever sign. He is going to test the market in that case .

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Intentionally trying to lose a guy in the expansion draft your coaching staff relies on intensively and wear an 'A' seems like terrible assets mangement even if he hypothetically has a bad year next season.

I also have a question. Lindells contracts will have a NMC starting 21-22 . Doesn't he have to be protected ? Pavelskis NMC ends at the end of the 20-21 season and won't have to be protected. Doesn't it subsequently mean that Esa needs to be protected if he's still with the Stars during the expansion draft?

Reactions: Dallasman

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Intentionally trying to lose a guy in the expansion draft your coaching staff relies on intensively and wear an 'A' seems like terrible assets mangement even if he hypothetically has a bad year next season.

I also have a question. Lindells contracts will have a NMC starting 21-22 . Doesn't he have to be protected ? Pavelskis NMC ends at the end of the 20-21 season and won't have to be protected. Doesn't it subsequently mean that Esa needs to be protected if he's still with the Stars during the expansion draft?
Lindells NMC doesn't start until after the expansion draft.
So he like Pavelski. Doesn't have to be protected, but he will be

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Lindells NMC doesn't start until after the expansion draft.
So he like Pavelski. Doesn't have to be protected, but he will be

I mean in theory Pavelskis NMC doesn't end until the expansion draft , doesn't it ?

Edit : Guess the league impletemented this so fresh or expiring NMC's don't f*** up teams too .

Last edited:

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I don’t know why they would not try and trade Lindell in your example. If you think oleksiak is the better option because of money then trade Lindell and get something for him.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Exactly if you truely wanted to get rid of that deal before the NMC kicks in the team should be easily able to trade Lindell. Losing him in a expansion draft would be a wasted asset. You don't want to expose anyone with value if you can help it at all.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
As we saw in the previous expansion draft the best strategy is to not over think it.

Benn, Seguin, Radulov, Hintz, Gurianov, Faksa, Dicky, Lindell, Heiskanen, Klingberg, Bishop.

Yes we likely lose Khudobin which sucks, but it isn’t worth giving up future assets to protect an older player especially when you have a stud like Oettinger waiting in the wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad