Expansion draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
If you take Wennberg you don’t want him as your 1C. Hauls is better. Also why do you have both Kukan and Wennberg? You prefer Kukan to Nutivaara?
This is a big year for Wennberg. I actually have taken him for Seattle Kraken in my mock expansion drafts plenty of times. Josh Anderson has to have a bounce back year...Its either of those two or RD-man David Savard or LD-man Ryan Murray!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
San Jose (my current team) is going to make an interesting case for Seattle (my future team). Some big names they may try getting rid of are the likes of Jones, Vlasic or Burns to unload the massive contracts. I honestly do not want any part of that. Only one I may be ok with there is Burns but that comes down to how he plays in the coming season.

With how bad the F depth is in San Jose, I would be surprised if there is any one of value to be had.
Perhaps there is an AHL prospect Seattle likes,like Maxim Letunov or Jeremy Roy

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Way-too-early Roster prediction:

Killorn Wennberg Oshie
Perron Steel Donskoi
Dube Soderberg/Haula/Eakin Fischer
Wood Carpenter/Nosek Simmonds
Wagner

Gardiner Miller
Mete Mayfield
Kukan Clifton
Lindgren Hunt

Khudobin
young goalie

after trades

Should be under 70m & reach the 20 contract rule. Some players are going to have to be left on the table due to not having a contract for 2022.

Obviously a lot can change with UFA and even RFA deals in the offseason. I wouldn't be surprised to see some Deja Vu with Eakin, Haula and Nosek drafted from their new clubs because of A)familiarity with the expansion process and B)familiarity with each other. (A lot of the Golden Knights knowing each other before camp was a big part of their success IMO)
That and Steroids...ask Nate Schmidt

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Perhaps there is an AHL prospect Seattle likes,like Maxim Letunov or Jeremy Roy
Maybe Letunov. He is going to get a chance to earn an NHL spot this season and if he gets 30-40 games, I would not mind seeing him on the Kraken. But he will be 25 before the ED. Jeremy Roy is someone we had high hopes with (as a Sharks fan). He had the potential as a top-4 D but he is not a great skater and has had way too many knee injuries.

Currently, the Sharks have exactly 0 legit top-6 forward propects. There are some with ceilings of 2nd line players at the NHL level but not even close to guaranteeing that level of success. My current prediction on who we pick from the Sharks in the expansion draft is Radim Simek.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I thought I'd bring it over here from the 2021 entry draft thread.

I think it's over rated personally. They may pull a couple 2nd line forwards, but Vegas pulled a 30 goal scorer out of the fringes of an NHL roster.

Also the Ducks were so deep and stupid that they gave them a potential #1 D.

As an example, even from a team like Colorado, Seattle is looking at getting a 3rd liner at best. Or going for a player like Kaut or Bowers with very little experience. It's going to be a lot of that. Having 31 teams makes for less teams with 2nd line guys they'll actually be exposing.

I personally thought Seattle should have pointed that out, and at least asked for better draft odds. Especially since they paid more than Vegas.

I think everyone knows even though the rules are the same, it's not going to be the same for Seattle.

Teams now have experience(the last expansion before Vegas was about 20 years prior to that with totally different rules) and way more time(they had about one year before Vegas came in and 2 1/2 years before Seattle) to work out their roster situations.
Also, there's Vegas who're excempt and can take on players while teams might get a lesser talent or late round pick instead of nothing.

Though, we'll have the advantage of a flat cap(which no one saw coming) and should be able to make a few deals because of that.

BTW: Looking at that Avs roster(which is too early because we've got to wait for the offseason and possible contract extensions) I think guys like Compher or Jost could be available on offense, while you could also have a guy like Graves available on defense.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I thought I'd bring it over here from the 2021 entry draft thread.

I think everyone knows even though the rules are the same, it's not going to be the same for Seattle.

Teams now have experience(the last expansion before Vegas was about 20 years prior to that with totally different rules) and way more time(they had about one year before Vegas came in and 2 1/2 years before Seattle) to work out their roster situations.
Also, there's Vegas who're excempt and can take on players while teams might get a lesser talent or late round pick instead of nothing.

Though, we'll have the advantage of a flat cap(which no one saw coming) and should be able to make a few deals because of that.

BTW: Looking at that Avs roster(which is too early because we've got to wait for the offseason and possible contract extensions) I think guys like Compher or Jost could be available on offense, while you could also have a guy like Graves available on defense.

Yeah Graves has been discussed. We don't want Jost lol. We'll see, but he may end up not on the starting 12 tonight if they're fully healthy.

Bura, Mack, Mikko
Landy, Kadri, Nuke
Nameste, JTC, Don
Neato, PEB, Calvert

That's the expected lines.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Found a really nice article, outlining potential targets (and realistic). It highlighted under the radar players.

Possible Skaters for the Seattle Kraken Roster from an Analytical View

Thanks for sharing this.

This is still really very hard to predict because the teams protected lists will also be dictated by where the UFA's at the end of this season sign. And we have quite a few of them. Pretty sure most of the top players on the list below get protection on their new teams:

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I would not be opposed to taking on some bad contracts (1-2 years left) if that means we can get some solid prospects and/or picks to go with them. I would love to somehow land another 1st round pick if possible.

Unfortunately the UFA market for our starting season looks pretty weak compared to the upcoming seasons.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Like others have pointed out, I think the coach we pick will make a big difference. We need to either be able to draft/build the team as he chooses OR he has to be largely adaptable and not force square pegs into round holes. If we can get a good coach, I totally expect us to be competitive in our division. LA and Anaheim are rebuilding. San Jose is largely in limbo. Vancouver and Calgary are slightly further along the rebuild process but the entire Pacific conference is really not that good.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Question since we have a flat cap of 81.5m what exactly is the floor does Seattle have to meet in terms of salary amount.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Edmonton is probably gonna lose a prospect in Seattle's expansion draft. They have a number of them that would be entering their 3rd year. Only first and 2nd year are auto protected.

there could be quality players like RW Jesse Puljujarvi or D Caleb Jones available. o_O

ClevelandUke

Aug 4, 2020
This is a big year for Wennberg. I actually have taken him for Seattle Kraken in my mock expansion drafts plenty of times. Josh Anderson has to have a bounce back year...Its either of those two or RD-man David Savard or LD-man Ryan Murray!

Anderson could leave as a FA this off-season so Columbus might not even have to worry about protecting him. Columbus could also go the 8-1 route and protect Gavrikov and Murray, leaving basically Savard or Wennberg, or any of their large contracts that dont score to their contracts like Foligno, Nash, or Jenner.

Seattle is probably ending up with a 3.5+ Mil player from Columbus as they dont have to protect Merzlinkins, Texier, Foudy, Robinson or Bemstrom.

they could, and i almost expect them too, go PLD, Atkinson, Nyquist, Bjorkstrand, Werenski, Jones, Gavrikov, Murray OR Savard, Korpisalo as the protected list.

Leaving Wennberg, Jenner, Foligno, Riley Nash, Nuutivaara, and the other of Murray or Savard, as probably the best options and Columbus would be more than fine to get the cap space relief with you guys taking Wennberg and hoping he can return to a 50 point player.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I thought about Wennberg as well.

Another swede taken from Columbus in an expansion draft.
Maybe we can work a deal to get a pick(s) and/or prospect by taking those $4.9 mil(until 2023) off your books.
Just like the Golden Knights did when they got William Karlsson from the Jackets.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Maybe we can work a deal to get a pick(s) and/or prospect by taking those $4.9 mil(until 2023) off your books.
Just like the Golden Knights did when they got William Karlsson from the Jackets.
I think there is a going to be a bit of that happening with the flat cap. We will be in prime position to capitalize. I would be completely up for it as long as the contract has no more than 2 years remaining. Seems like Wennberg would fit that bill.

Would also be curious where the likes Puljujarvi (Edmonton) and Dahlen (San Jose) are? We could potentially grab them for cheap if they refuse to stay with their current organizations.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Anderson could leave as a FA this off-season so Columbus might not even have to worry about protecting him. Columbus could also go the 8-1 route and protect Gavrikov and Murray, leaving basically Savard or Wennberg, or any of their large contracts that dont score to their contracts like Foligno, Nash, or Jenner.

Seattle is probably ending up with a 3.5+ Mil player from Columbus as they dont have to protect Merzlinkins, Texier, Foudy, Robinson or Bemstrom.

they could, and i almost expect them too, go PLD, Atkinson, Nyquist, Bjorkstrand, Werenski, Jones, Gavrikov, Murray OR Savard, Korpisalo as the protected list.

Leaving Wennberg, Jenner, Foligno, Riley Nash, Nuutivaara, and the other of Murray or Savard, as probably the best options and Columbus would be more than fine to get the cap space relief with you guys taking Wennberg and hoping he can return to a 50 point player.
Even if the Blue Jackets lose Wennberg they have a pretty good replacement in Liam Foudy

Reactions: ClevelandUke

ClevelandUke

Aug 4, 2020

Why would Columbus give up anything for you guys to take Wennberg?
Columbus has 22 Mil coming off the books after next year, and another 15 Mil the following year.
and Wennberg is off the books the same year they have to resign Werenski and Jones.

Columbus isn't going to be in salary cap trouble anytime soon unless they sign a big FA that doesn't pan out and either way Seattle will have to take and draft one of Columbus bigger contracts thats underpreforming via Wennberg, Jenner, or Nash or you guys end up taking Savard whos still getting 4.2

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Columbus has 22 Mil coming off the books after next year, and another 15 Mil the following year.
and Wennberg is off the books the same year they have to resign Werenski and Jones.

Columbus isn't going to be in salary cap trouble anytime soon unless they sign a big FA that doesn't pan out and either way Seattle will have to take and draft one of Columbus bigger contracts thats underpreforming via Wennberg, Jenner, or Nash or you guys end up taking Savard whos still getting 4.2
Savard and Nash are both going to be UFA's by the expansion draft so they will be off the books. Between Jenner and Wennberg, I actually like Jenner better but I think who CBJ exposes would largely depend on which one those two are better next season.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

1) We don't have to take one of your bigger contracts because there are certainly other players available with cheaper contracts.

2) I've said maybe and of course we'll be talking to all GM's to see if there's a deal to be made.
If we like Wennberg and don't mind the contract we'll take him(if he's exposed) but if not, and you guys don't want to add anything, we'll just look at those other options. o_O

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
1) We don't have to take one of your bigger contracts because there are certainly other players available with cheaper contracts.

2) I've said maybe and of course we'll be talking to all GM's to see if there's a deal to be made.
If we like Wennberg and don't mind the contract we'll take him(if he's exposed) but if not, and you guys don't want to add anything, we'll just look at those other options. o_O

we have to pick up enough salar contract to meet the cap floor. So Seattle has to take a big contract.

ClevelandUke

Aug 4, 2020

1) Well that works out even better for us since all of our big contracts (except wennberg) expire in the next 2 years, so its free cap space either way
2) you aren't getting anything to take a big contract off our hands, you'll take it, or we just get the cap space a year later.

3) you have to reach the cap floor some how, you WILL have to take on other teams bad contracts and get nothing in return, its not really an option.

win-win for columbus no matter what happens, they keep all their important top 9 players, top 4 defenders and top 2 goalies no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad