Expansion draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Doesn't really tell me anything more than I already know and I'm not blowing my own horn here! Van will make a trade with Seattle or decide between Markstrom and Demko. Ditto for Wash with Holtby and Samsonov. Pitt GM Rutherford has gone on record as saying one of Murray or Jarry will be peddled. Outside of them not sure what team has a 2-goalie tandem where Seattle takes the one available. LA has Quick but as some have said he's too old...will be 35 next year...but he has value and may garner Seattle picks come the 2022 trade deadline, especially to a contending team trying to win Coup de Stanley! TO has Andersen and Campbell and the former will be a UFA after the 2020-21 season. Campbell is signed through 2022 but I think TO has enticing prospects(Engvall,Liljegren,F Gauthier and Dermott) that Seattle will zero in on instead of 29 year old 'tender come 2021. As for Wash and Van both have intriguing goalie prospects(Vanecek and M DiPietro) down on the 'Farm" that could be traded as a favor to look away! Those are the four teams I'd zero in on plus maybe C Lindgren from Montreal

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
One thing is totally true come expansion 2021 for Seattle...most NHL teams have maneuvered themselves in a way that most won't sustain huge loses! Seattle is going to have their hands full. I know a hockey season is long...longer this and next year and that a lot can happen...but this ArmChair GM sees Seattle in tough. I'd be going the youngster route since veterans can be had for a song near the end of their careers! Not that I wouldn't pick the odd vet,I would but only several...so as to not have to replace 8-10 players all at once...Build with youth and sprinkle some good vets in to show the way

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
The end of this week's accomplishment is seen below.
9EMrTV3.jpg
When will they unveil the name of Seattle NHL? Soon we hope! Hope the colors are emerald green,red and white or black

Reactions: Larkin1578

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
yep,they are one of the teams that will lose a young and decent player
To be honest since I made that post, I'm not as sure that...I mean it's still a problem for Anaheim but I'm starting to have doubts about the team's prospect development. I'm seeing all the promise out of Anaheim's young core but I don't see a ton of growth. It's starting to feel like Zegras is the only guy they'll have that has the talent to reach his potential in spite of whatever developmental issues the Ducks seem to be having.

I feel like whoever Seattle gets from Anaheim, we'll look back retrospectively and say "Anaheim shouldn't have exposed him or should've found a way to keep him" but I feel like it will be more of the change of scenery than anything else. If it does happen. No young player is a guarantee. I mean Theodore thrived when he left Anaheim, Vatanen somewhat did as well, but Montour, who was one of the guys that made Theodore "expendable" hasn't exactly taken a big step since being traded.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Doesn't really tell me anything more than I already know and I'm not blowing my own horn here! Van will make a trade with Seattle or decide between Markstrom and Demko. Ditto for Wash with Holtby and Samsonov. Pitt GM Rutherford has gone on record as saying one of Murray or Jarry will be peddled. Outside of them not sure what team has a 2-goalie tandem where Seattle takes the one available. LA has Quick but as some have said he's too old...will be 35 next year...but he has value and may garner Seattle picks come the 2022 trade deadline, especially to a contending team trying to win Coup de Stanley! TO has Andersen and Campbell and the former will be a UFA after the 2020-21 season. Campbell is signed through 2022 but I think TO has enticing prospects(Engvall,Liljegren,F Gauthier and Dermott) that Seattle will zero in on instead of 29 year old 'tender come 2021. As for Wash and Van both have intriguing goalie prospects(Vanecek and M DiPietro) down on the 'Farm" that could be traded as a favor to look away! Those are the four teams I'd zero in on plus maybe C Lindgren from Montreal

Alright.
Just one question about your offloading Quick to Seattle thing.

Why aren't the Kings just trading him for "some picks" if it was that easy?

One thing is totally true come expansion 2021 for Seattle...most NHL teams have maneuvered themselves in a way that most won't sustain huge loses! Seattle is going to have their hands full. I know a hockey season is long...longer this and next year and that a lot can happen...but this ArmChair GM sees Seattle in tough. I'd be going the youngster route since veterans can be had for a song near the end of their careers! Not that I wouldn't pick the odd vet,I would but only several...so as to not have to replace 8-10 players all at once...Build with youth and sprinkle some good vets in to show the way

Everything our GM and scouts tell us is that they're looking for skating especially, which means younger guys anyways.

We also know that we won't have the same luxury as Vegas(who were able to surprise teams) because of the difference of time teams have to prepare and the fact that they've been through this process just four years prior instead of about 20 years before that.

Still, no one can make correct predictions right now cause this pandamic has hit this league quite a bit financially(like every other league on this planet) and given that the salary cap is said to stay flat this could also mean additional possibilities for us as teams will want to unload a contracts and should be willing to add picks/talents in order to do so.

Also, every fan survey taken has shown that Seattle fans are aware that Vegas, even with the same rules, isn't the norm and most want to just concentrate on our own process while building a team that can grow and be competitive.

Which means some younger guys, coupled with some vets, that you can keep around for a couple of years while trying to build a winning/competitive team.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
FWIW, VGK filled their "beyond the required minimums per position" with D men. Some they peddled before the season started. Others ended up in the minors (and went through waivers).

My feeling is that some of the "extra" D were attempted to be peddled, and VGK didn't trade all those extra they picked through expansion.

So, that is potentially a concern.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I think that Seattle could have a number of "stars" on the team.

With a flat cap, or nearly so, for the next few seasons in the proposed MOU for a CBA extension, teams may be "forced" by economics to expose big contracts (which are usually associated with big stars) available for cap relief.

Especially as a number of teams have been at/near the cap.

A lot will be dependent on the ownership willing to make potential payouts for those bigger contracts.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Spikey

Feb 12, 2020

Well then if it's that bad for Seattle hopefully Seattle will win the 1st overall pick each season in their first few years. That will help build the team. It's all about building through the draft.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Well then if it's that bad for Seattle hopefully Seattle will win the 1st overall pick each season in their first few years. That will help build the team. It's all about building through the draft.

Odds best that they'll probably drop a couple spots. Detroit and one of ottawa's picks droped in this years lottery. Detroit went to 4th ottawa other pick went to 5th.

Spikey

Feb 12, 2020
Odds best that they'll probably drop a couple spots. Detroit and one of ottawa's picks droped in this years lottery. Detroit went to 4th ottawa other pick went to 5th.

Yep even though Ottawa got screwed in the lottery it's a pretty good draft this year so Ottawa picking at 3 and 5th this year is still really good. As long as Seattle is in the top 5 for a draft pick it should still help. First overall would be most ideal.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Yep even though Ottawa got screwed in the lottery it's a pretty good draft this year so Ottawa picking at 3 and 5th this year is still really good. As long as Seattle is in the top 5 for a draft pick it should still help. First overall would be most ideal.
Like to see Seattle get Shane Wright the consensus top pick for the 2022 draft...any idea if it will the Kraken, Totems,Sockeyes or anything else! This hockey fan is dying to find out

Reactions: Spikey

Spikey

Feb 12, 2020
Like to see Seattle get Shane Wright the consensus top pick for the 2022 draft...any idea if it will the Kraken, Totems,Sockeyes or anything else! This hockey fan is dying to find out

I am dying to find out what team name we will be cheering for. I hear they are trying to get the naming rights to their junior team Seattle Thunderbirds as their name rights run out after next season. Might be why it's taking so long to get the announcement.

Dr Awesome

Yak in the city
Sep 24, 2008
British Columbia
I am dying to find out what team name we will be cheering for. I hear they are trying to get the naming rights to their junior team Seattle Thunderbirds as their name rights run out after next season. Might be why it's taking so long to get the announcement.
It’s too bad they cannot be the Metropolitans

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Way-too-early Roster prediction:

Killorn Wennberg Oshie
Perron Steel Donskoi
Dube Soderberg/Haula/Eakin Fischer
Wood Carpenter/Nosek Simmonds
Wagner

Gardiner Miller
Mete Mayfield
Kukan Clifton
Lindgren Hunt

Khudobin
young goalie

after trades

Should be under 70m & reach the 20 contract rule. Some players are going to have to be left on the table due to not having a contract for 2022.

Obviously a lot can change with UFA and even RFA deals in the offseason. I wouldn't be surprised to see some Deja Vu with Eakin, Haula and Nosek drafted from their new clubs because of A)familiarity with the expansion process and B)familiarity with each other. (A lot of the Golden Knights knowing each other before camp was a big part of their success IMO)

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
San Jose (my current team) is going to make an interesting case for Seattle (my future team). Some big names they may try getting rid of are the likes of Jones, Vlasic or Burns to unload the massive contracts. I honestly do not want any part of that. Only one I may be ok with there is Burns but that comes down to how he plays in the coming season.

With how bad the F depth is in San Jose, I would be surprised if there is any one of value to be had.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
San Jose (my current team) is going to make an interesting case for Seattle (my future team). Some big names they may try getting rid of are the likes of Jones, Vlasic or Burns to unload the massive contracts. I honestly do not want any part of that. Only one I may be ok with there is Burns but that comes down to how he plays in the coming season.

With how bad the F depth is in San Jose, I would be surprised if there is any one of value to be had.

I like Burns but he'll be 36 by next year and would still have 4 years and 32 mil left on his contract.
That's not what an expansion team should(and will) be looking at, especially during the current financial times and a flat cap for a couple of years, unless there are major benefits thrown our way.

And I doubt that San Jose would be willing to give up such pieces to entice us into taking Burns.

BTW: I'm actually curious to see how many NMC or NTC will be waived by players at request of their current franchises in hopes that we don't want to pick them up anyways.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I like Burns but he'll be 36 by next year and would still have 4 years and 32 mil left on his contract.
That's not what an expansion team should(and will) be looking at, especially during the current financial times and a flat cap for a couple of years, unless there are major benefits thrown our way.

And I doubt that San Jose would be willing to give up such pieces to entice us into taking Burns.

BTW: I'm actually curious to see how many NMC or NTC will be waived by players at request of their current franchises in hopes that we don't want to pick them up anyways.

Right. But the team is going to want to spend to be competitive immediately as well. I think Vegas pretty much changed expectations for how expansion teams can be right away. Also, the way Burns looks after himself I totally expect him to be a 40+ point player till 38-39. And while I do think its going to be flat cap going into 2020-21, I expect it rises after that. Before we start thinking that we need to be enticed into taking Burns we need to watch how he produces next season. I think he can easily be a 60+ point player again and if the Sharks expose him, I think it would be hard for the Kraken to not want to take a bite.

I think, unfortunately for us, most players willing to waive clauses easily are the ones on bad contracts and underperforming. There may be some who are asked to waive simply because their teams are tight on cap space and have ELC's to take care of as well (like TBL). Those are the teams we need to target to get good players are decent contracts.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Right. But the team is going to want to spend to be competitive immediately as well. I think Vegas pretty much changed expectations for how expansion teams can be right away. Also, the way Burns looks after himself I totally expect him to be a 40+ point player till 38-39. And while I do think its going to be flat cap going into 2020-21, I expect it rises after that. Before we start thinking that we need to be enticed into taking Burns we need to watch how he produces next season. I think he can easily be a 60+ point player again and if the Sharks expose him, I think it would be hard for the Kraken to not want to take a bite.

Like I've said, I like Burns and wouldn't even mind him on the team(he's one of my favourite current players) but I doubt we'll be interested in his contract without the Sharks giving up something really valuable.

Also, I'd expect the cap to stay flat for some time.
The new CBA states that the cap will stay at $81.5 mil for the 2020-21 season and will stay at there until hockey related revenue returns to $4.8 billion.

Given the current situation we're in, the fact that we don't know at what point there'll be actually fans allowed back into arenas(very important part of income for NHL franchises) and that we're in one of the biggest economic crisis ever I doubt that the cap will go up any time soon or at least not much at all for some time.

BTW: Of course Vegas set the bar insanely high, but no one in Seattle expects that and most surveys have actually shown that Seattle hockey fans want a young and exciting team, with a couple of vets, that can grow and be(or become) competitive.
Also, no one expected Vegas to do what they did after people saw the players they got in their expansion draft.

So even though the media(and other fans) will compare and judge us on those merits, it's just not something we should bother about too much.
Especially since Vegas was able to catch teams on surprise given the short notice teams had(one year) to try and prepare their rosters for it.

I think, unfortunately for us, most players willing to waive clauses easily are the ones on bad contracts and underperforming. There may be some who are asked to waive simply because their teams are tight on cap space and have ELC's to take care of as well (like TBL). Those are the teams we need to target to get good players are decent contracts.

Yeah, it's going to be mostly players that are positive about us not being interested which will help teams protect other players we would be interested in.

Though, even then we should be able to grab a couple of good players and I'm even more interested what kind of deals Francis can pull off to add some picks or talents.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I totally agree about not setting expectations to mimic what Vegas did. I am a realist and expect us to miss the playoffs the first couple of years while we build up. I am totally fine with that approach and prefer to build us up the right way. And I would honestly expect majority of our fellow Kraken fans on the board to be the same.

That being said, we are not going to be the average hockey fan in Seattle. The average hockey fans are going to be the ones who expect us to replicate what Vegas did. And I totally expect Francis to go hard and make a push to get FA's or draft players in the expansion who make us competitive immediately.

And I am pretty sure that could be done too (half of the league does make the playoffs every year). Main thing is stay away from most exposed players who have been signed for more than 2 years. There may be some exceptions to that rule but then the player has to be a young player who also performs well. And why would any other team expose such a player .. ha ha.

Very excited to see how our team develops.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

Actually a lot of the No-Trade and No Movement clauses for teams and players are expiring meaning that's good for the teams and good for the players that have earned their keep and money and deserve this clause(s)

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Way-too-early Roster prediction:

Killorn Wennberg Oshie
Perron Steel Donskoi
Dube Soderberg/Haula/Eakin Fischer
Wood Carpenter/Nosek Simmonds
Wagner

Gardiner Miller
Mete Mayfield
Kukan Clifton
Lindgren Hunt

Khudobin
young goalie

after trades

Should be under 70m & reach the 20 contract rule. Some players are going to have to be left on the table due to not having a contract for 2022.

Obviously a lot can change with UFA and even RFA deals in the offseason. I wouldn't be surprised to see some Deja Vu with Eakin, Haula and Nosek drafted from their new clubs because of A)familiarity with the expansion process and B)familiarity with each other. (A lot of the Golden Knights knowing each other before camp was a big part of their success IMO)
If you take Wennberg you don’t want him as your 1C. Hauls is better. Also why do you have both Kukan and Wennberg? You prefer Kukan to Nutivaara?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->