News Article: Expansion draft, Team building and Salary Cap!

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If Dubas move on any RDs this off-season (outside of upcoming UFAs), it will have to be Reilly/Muzzin/(New Guy) they protect.

Seeing as how they have 2 spots to fill - based on the likelihood Barrie and Ceci are gone, maybe he gets a 1-year rental for a bottom pairing spot or someone simply not expected to be picked by Seattle?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
If I am Dubas I seriously address our D and a radical make over(Sign Pietrangelo and Potentially trade for Pesce/Dumba Or OS Cernak 5x4) and go with 8 Skaters and 1 -Goalie as an option.

It is going to mean we are likely trading Nylander and moving on from replaceable players like AJ and Kerfoot. I would also believe Andersen, Holl and Dermott would be shopped for cap savings too. It would a radical makeover to the team but the core pieces in place(Matthews, Marner, JT, Rielly, Muzzin and the D added. We would use said trade chips to get a Goalie and run both equally.

If we sign Mikheyev to just a one year deal, none of Sandin, Liljegren plus Robertson need to be protected. Yes it’s a lot on the kids playing full time rolls but if we land players like Pietrangelo and Pesce each kid on D will have a veteran partner to provide mentor ship. With the core up front it would be mainly journeymen players on our bottom 6 but with the cap crunch I think some decent players would or could be had for cheap on one year deals. With Hyman we run the risk of losing him but I would offer him a handshake 8 year deal just north of 3 to be signed after the expansion draft. It may seem like pie in the sky NHL 21 but I think all the players signed to the forward group can be had for reasonable prices. Also it would address our toughness issue. Anderson and Virtanen.

Something like

Hyman Matthews Marner
Robertson JT Anderson
Mikheyev Brassard Virtanen
Barabanoc Engvall Korskov
Spezza

Rielly Pietrangelo
Sandin Pesce
Muzzin Liljegren
Lehtonen

??????
Campbell

Reactions: aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
If we add a top 4 D that is not expansion draft exempt then bye bye Dermott to Seattle.
I’d suspect he’s traded way before that, myself.
He’s top 90 in the league I’d imagine (of players that require protection) so he’ll have value somewhere.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I hate the NHL and everything they do to favor American markets and "grow the game"

Grow = make more money for players and owners.

That's the entire purpose of the League. It's not about hockey. or winning.

Bettman got rid of tanking to help monetize hockey for betting.

Players hold teams hostage now with negotiations.

Something needs changing.

but the hard cap won't.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Way too much time spent on trying to figure out the combinations and worrying about who will be lost.

The Vegas draft clearly demonstrated that a team can determine who they will lose by simply making a side deal.

It's not a big deal.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Way too much time spent on trying to figure out the combinations and worrying about who will be lost.

The Vegas draft clearly demonstrated that a team can determine who they will lose by simply making a side deal.

It's not a big deal.

And how did those side deals work out...HORRIBLY
I don't share your opinion because I think the expansion draft is a big deal. And acquiring an upgrade on D that is expected does change the Leafs outlook on this draft.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
And how did those side deals work out...HORRIBLY

You're attempting to paint all the deals with the same brush.

Some were bad, some were fine. It comes down to how astute the GM making the side deal is.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Who will Maple Leafs lose in Seattle Kraken expansion draft? - Sportsnet.ca

Here are some key expansion draft rules Gilman helped establish (and how they apply to Toronto in 2021):

• All players with no-movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected and will be counted toward their team’s applicable protection limits.

Captain John Tavares is the only Leaf holding a full no-move clause. Jake Muzzin and T.J. Brodie’s no-move clauses expire and become no-trade clauses after the 2020-21 season.

• All first- and second-year NHLers and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection and will not be counted toward protection limits.

Therefore, Toronto needn’t worry about protecting prized prospects like Nicholas Robertson, Rasmus Sandin, Timothy Liljegren, Mac Hollowell and Joseph Woll. Sophomore Ilya Mikheyev is also exempt.

• Any player heading toward unrestricted free agency does not need to be protected.

Toronto has a whopping 16 impending UFAs: Frederik Andersen, Zach Hyman, Wayne Simmonds, Jimmy Vesey, Joe Thornton, Jason Spezza, Travis Boyd, Alexander Barabanov, Zach Bogosian, Calle Rosen, Martin Marincin, Mikko Lehtonen, Aaron Dell, Kenny Agostino, David Warsofsky and Kalle Kossila.

What’s interesting here is that Dubas may re-sign some of these players prior to the draft, requiring protection. Further, an impending UFA could be re-signed with the purpose of meeting exposure requirements — which is our explanation for, say, Jake Allen’s extension in Montreal and the structure of Braden Holtby’s contract in Vancouver.

To minimize their loss in the Kraken’s culling, the first choice the Leafs’ brain trust will have to make is whether to protect seven forwards, three defenceman and one goaltender (7-3-1) or eight skaters and one goalie (8-1).

The majority of clubs opted for the first option in 2017 and should do so again because it protects 11 players in total. The second option, which only protects nine total, is a sensible route for rosters holding four or more valuable defencemen and few desirable forwards.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Item Two: Are the Seattle Kraken After Three Maple Leafs Players? - The Hockey Writers

Four days ago, NHL insider Luke Fox joined the “Lead Off” show to discuss who on the Maple Leafs’ current roster the Kraken might target during the 2021 NHL Expansion Draft.

Fox thought that “the main guys Seattle could be circling on are Justin Holl and Travis Dermott.”

Fox believed that, although it wasn’t a Maple Leafs’ strength, “Ironically, I think they’re going to target the Leafs defense.”

Fox added, “Alternatively, the Leafs could expose a guy like Alexander Kerfoot if he doesn’t have a great season and they maybe want to shed some of his salary. That’s another option.”

Interestingly, as I noted in regard to what happened with the Golden Knights, Dermott or Holl might be ambivalent. Either they’d be worried they wouldn’t be with the Maple Leafs next year or they’d be excited to join a new team where they might have a more primary role.

If Fox is correct, and Holl and Dermott are exposed, who would the Kraken choose? Both players have pretty good contracts. Holl has two seasons three remaining at $2 million per season. Dermott’s cheaper, and is on the final year of an $874,000 contract. Dermott will become an RFA at the end of the season.

Both are relatively young, Dermott is 23 years of age and Holl is 28. Dermott is from the Toronto area and Holl is an American citizen. I’m thinking Holl would be happier to leave, and Dermott would be happier to stay in Toronto. But I’m also thinking that Dermott would be the Krakken’s choice of the two because he has more potential and opportunity to develop.

Looking ahead to the 2021 NHL season with Luke Fox

December 16 2020

The Sportsnet scribe gives his thoughts on when the NHL season could begin, whether players are already heading back to their team cities, how difficult it will be for non NHL-ers to get proper ice time with junior leagues and the AHL pushing back their season start dates, what to expect from the upcoming Expansion Draft, and who from the Leafs the Kraken could target.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Hopefully Kerfoot isn’t even around at that expansion draft. Doubt we can move his $3,500,000 in this climate also. To much out for a 3rd line center that can’t crash and bang around well enough

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Hopefully Kerfoot isn’t even around at that expansion draft. Doubt we can move his $3,500,000 in this climate also. To much out for a 3rd line center that can’t crash and bang around well enough
Hopefully Kerfoot is around at the expansion draft. Of course we could move his contract before then, even in this financial climate, but it's a decent contract for a good player for a role we don't currently have alternatives for.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Certainly would be a tough player to move and doubtful he would be claimed in the expansion draft. I see the Leafs moving him to the wing This season but he’ll never be worth his contract.

Reactions: Faltorvo

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Certainly would be a tough player to move and doubtful he would be claimed in the expansion draft. I see the Leafs moving him to the wing This season but he’ll never be worth his contract.

How can you speak with such certainty? How will he never be worth his contract?

What happens if he scores 25-25 equivalent this season while performing decent defensively and becomes an asset on the PK while having both C and W versatility. Certainly not unrealistic and well worth 3.5 mill

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
For an expansion team, I can imagine the appeal in Dermott being the youngest while also theoretically having the highest amount of potential/upside. Holl and Kerfoot would bring the contract certainty Dermott currently lacks though. RHD or C could also be more valuable positionally. Tough to view these matters in isolation. Much also depends on the players available to be drafted from the other teams and Seattle's team needs at that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad