Expansion Draft Question

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Wait, THN says to protect Clifton and not Carlo? Please tell me thats a typo.

McAvoy, Carlo, Gryz

Krug is the 4th man out because of what we would have to pay him this summer. Not only do we have to pay Krug to stay, we would have to do it twice since we either made a deal with Seattle not to select him or weprotect 4 D and only 6 forwards.

Forwards: Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, DeBrusk, Coyle, Kuraly/Heinen

Expose Krejci since I doubt Seattle will take him at 7 mill, its a gamble but it's either that or expose Kuraly/Heinen.

Backes will not get selected due to age and contract.
Kuhlman, Lindholm, Nordstrom, Wagner, Ritchie, etc. are all easily replacable parts. Makes sense why we loaded up on top 6.

Bjork will not be elegable IF WE LIMIT HIS NHL GAMES PLAYED. Which makes TOTAL sense why he is in Providence right now.

Goaltending is perfect: Rask, Halak will be a FA next summer and Keyser wont have enough NHL games played to be exposed. Goaltending is wrapped up.

SO: If we switch a F spot for a D spot and protect Krug we expose Krejci, Heinen, Kuraly.
If we stick with the 7/3/1 then we expose Krug and 2 of Krejci, Heinen, Kuraly.

People are gonna hate on me for this, but....expose Krejci. He is downturning and we need the 7 mil in cap space. There is also a good chance Seattle does not take him at that cost. Either way we win, keep him or cap space.
Sorry AM. I worded that awkwardly. I meant that if we want to keep him, we’d have protect him (I.e. TNH listed them as not exempt). Was doing it on fly and wasn’t clear.

For the record, TSN suggested protecting McAvoy, Carlo, and Krug. Leaving Gryz open.

Actually, I like what you propose. I don’t think Seattle bites at DK.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

McAvoy, Carlo, Gryz

Krug is the 4th man out because of what we would have to pay him this summer. Not only do we have to pay Krug to stay, we would have to do it twice since we either made a deal with Seattle not to select him or weprotect 4 D and only 6 forwards.

Expose Krejci since I doubt Seattle will take him at 7 mill, its a gamble but it's either that or expose Kuraly/Heinen.

Kuhlman, Lindholm, Nordstrom, Wagner, Ritchie, etc. are all easily replacable parts. Makes sense why we loaded up on top 6.

Bjork will not be elegable IF WE LIMIT HIS NHL GAMES PLAYED. Which makes TOTAL sense why he is in Providence right now.

Goaltending is perfect: Rask, Halak will be a FA next summer and Keyser wont have enough NHL games played to be exposed. Goaltending is wrapped up.

SO: If we switch a F spot for a D spot and protect Krug we expose Krejci, Heinen, Kuraly.

People are gonna hate on me for this, but....expose Krejci. He is downturning and we need the 7 mil in cap space. There is also a good chance Seattle does not take him at that cost. Either way we win, keep him or cap space.

There is tons wrong with this. Will re-write. Have mercy on me, LOL.

Last edited:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
The team can suffer the loss one a D. No fancy deals with Seattle. Let them take one of Gryz, Clifton, Moore, Lauzon ect.

If you sign Krug and keep him, Good luck in Seattle Gryz

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Take 2:

Summer 2021 Expansion Draft

Possibly Gone By Then or UFA: Krejci(2021 UFA), Backes(2021 UFA), Kuraly(2021 UFA), Wagner(2020 UFA), Ritchie(2020 RFA), Nordstrom(2020 UFA), Lindholm(2021 UFA), Gaunce(2020 RFA), Fitzgerald(2020 RFA), Cehlarik(2020 RFA), Carey(2021 UFA), JFK(2019 RFA), Miller(2020 UFA), Chara(2020 UFA), Kampfer(2021 UFA), Petrovic(2020 UFA), Lagace(2020UFA), Halak(2020 UFA), Rask(2021 UFA).

Likely Resigns: Coyle(2020 UFA), Heinen(2021 RFA), Bjork(2020 RFA), DeBrusk(2020 RFA), Kuhlman(2020 RFA), Krug(2020 UFA), Carlo(2021 RFA), Grzelcyk(2020 RFA).

Prospect Resigns(Probably not elligible for draft): Frederick(2021 RFA), Hughes(2021 RFA), Senyshyn(2020 RFA), Koppanen(2021 RFA), Blidh(2021 RFA), Sherman(2020 RFA),
Zboril(2020 RFA), Lauzon(2020 RFA), Vladar(2020 RFA).

7/3/1 Protected Format

Forwards
Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, DeBrusk, Coyle, Bjork, Heinen.

Exposed: Kuhlman and any easily replaceable Bottom 6 under contract at the time. (Krejci, Backes, Lindholm & Kuraly are all UFAs that summer)

Defense
McAvoy, Carlo, Gryzelcyk

Exposed: Krug, Clifton, Moore. Ouch...

Goaltending
None - Rask will be UFA and Vladar/Keyser/Swayman wont be eligible(Most likely)

Exposed: UFA acquired NHL eligible goaltender. Keyser and Vladar probably wont have enough NHL games yet to be exposed. Have to expose at least 1 goaltender per rules.

8FD/1G Format
Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, DeBrusk, Coyle, McAvoy, Carlo, Gryzelcyk.

Exposed: Bjork, Heinen, Krug, Clifton.....yeah not a good way to go for us...

We are going to lose a good defenseman no matter what we do. Either we don't resign Krug and lose Clifton or we resign Krug and lose him. Will have to barter with Seattle to keep one, but this is an ugly decision no matter what we do. Either we lose someone good or we lose a 1st and still possibly someone good.

There is a legit reason here NOT to resign Krug. But then we would have to expose Vaakanainen or Lauzon(whomever replaces.)
Not really any good way outta this atm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Estlin

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I would guess McAvoy and carlo are the obvious two... and then we are in trouble.

we might be clever with krugs contract... possibly load the crap out of it with some obscene bonus that gets paid after the draft... a final year bonus of like 30 million lol...

but not sure that would be ok with the Jacobs family or the nhl

as for chara... pretty sure he will be on 1 year deals... expansion teams dont select 67 year old players anyhow

grezlyck… interesting... how much will his new deal be? I kept thinking under 3 mill but if he suddenly has a 35 point season thats probably going north of 4 mill. honestly... we might need to trade him before expansion draft ever rolls around. hes probably not a huge improvement over either krug of vaikanainen… and contracts are going to matter when we are filling out our D

cliftons contract is fantastic... if hes established as a regular 82 game nhl pro then hes the very obvious choice for seattle… and sadly I dont think hes good enough for us to give up much to protect him. he is after all, a bottom pair dman as long as we have McAvoy/carlo which is probably going to be the next decade minimum

I dont see any other dmen really entering the conversation... moore isnt as attractive as Clifton or grezlyck… lauzon is very unlikely to be of consideration unless we throw something in... same goes for zboril… I suppose andersson might shock us with a monster season in the minors but probably not

I doubt andersson would even be eligible... but he might be enough bait to convince seattle to take someone like kampfer… probably not

my gut call is... we just bite the bullet... protect krug if hes still here... expose Clifton and grezlyck or trade grezlyck ahead of time... go forward with McAvoy/carlo/krug as our top 3 and work vaikananen into the top 5 along with whoever is still here between Clifton/grez… and then if chara is still signing one year deals we know who our 6th dman is and we are fine... lauzon or zboril will be needing to be on the big team if they are still in the system by that time so we got our 7th dman too

its going to suck to lose a favorite player... but its not going to suck as far as depth/talent goes... we will still be in great shape

To the bolded.....it's tricky IMO.

What better way/person to set the culture of a new franchise than Z, but they could select him and he could choose to retire and they'd be sunk by wasting their pick on a guy who doesn't play for them, when they could grab a guy still in his 20's.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Take 2:

Possibly Gone By Then or UFA: Krejci(2021 UFA), Backes(2021 UFA), Kuraly(2021 UFA), Wagner(2020 UFA), Ritchie(2020 RFA), Nordstrom(2020 UFA), Lindholm(2021 UFA), Gaunce(2020 RFA), Fitzgerald(2020 RFA), Cehlarik(2020 RFA), Carey(2021 UFA), JFK(2019 RFA), Miller(2020 UFA), Chara(2020 UFA), Kampfer(2021 UFA), Petrovic(2020 UFA), Lagace(2020UFA).

Likely Resigns: Coyle(2020 UFA), Heinen(2021 RFA), Bjork(2020 RFA), DeBrusk(2020 RFA), Kuhlman(2020 RFA), Krug(2020 UFA), Carlo(2021 RFA), Grzelcyk(2020 RFA).

Prospect Resigns(Probably not elligible for draft): Frederick(2021 RFA), Hughes(2021 RFA), Senyshyn(2020 RFA), Koppanen(2021 RFA), Blidh(2021 RFA), Sherman(2020 RFA),

7/3/1 Protected Format

Forwards

Exposed: Kuhlman and any easily replaceable Bottom 6 under contract at the time. (Krejci, Backes, Lindholm & Kuraly are all UFAs that summer)

Defense
McAvoy, Carlo, Gryzelcyk

Goaltending
Rask

Exposed: UFA acquired NHL eligible goaltender. Keyser and Vladar probably wont have enough NHL games yet to be exposed. Have to expose at least 1 goaltender per rules.

8FD/1G Format

We are going to lose a good defenseman no matter what we do. Either we don't resign Krug and lose Clifton or we resign Krug and lose him. Will have to barter with Seattle to keep one, but this is an ugly decision no matter what we do. Either we lose someone good or we lose a 1st and still possibly someone good.

There is a legit reason here NOT to resign Krug. But then we would have to expose Vaakanainen or Lauzon(whomever replaces.)
0.0 Krug will sign any deal without NMC expansion protection

NMC/city&team loves vs hometown discount

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
0.0 Krug will sign any deal without NMC expansion protection

NMC/city&team loves vs hometown discount

Good Point. Which means we have to protect Gryz someway. Even if we work out a deal to do that we still lose Clifton.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Take 2:

Possibly Gone By Then or UFA: Krejci(2021 UFA), Backes(2021 UFA), Kuraly(2021 UFA), Wagner(2020 UFA), Ritchie(2020 RFA), Nordstrom(2020 UFA), Lindholm(2021 UFA), Gaunce(2020 RFA), Fitzgerald(2020 RFA), Cehlarik(2020 RFA), Carey(2021 UFA), JFK(2019 RFA), Miller(2020 UFA), Chara(2020 UFA), Kampfer(2021 UFA), Petrovic(2020 UFA), Lagace(2020UFA), Halak(2020 UFA).

7/3/1 Protected Format

Forwards

Defense
McAvoy, Carlo, Gryzelcyk

Goaltending
Rask

8FD/1G Format

Thanks AM. This is really good and helpful.

I agree we're going to lose a good player. Even if we were to trade one of the potentially exposed Dman for a forward, then the problem just shifts to losing someone good from the forward group. I know we're not alone but it's a real challenge. I'm sure it's a big part of the consideration of if and when to sign Krug.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The team can suffer the loss one a D. No fancy deals with Seattle. Let them take one of Gryz, Clifton, Moore, Lauzon ect.

If you sign Krug and keep him, Good luck in Seattle Gryz

This.

Go back and take a look at the deals teams made with Vegas to not draft certain players. In many cases the teams would have been better off just losing the player.

The Wild immediately come to mind.

2017 NHL expansion draft results: All the Golden Knights’ trades

Last edited:

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Rask is a UFA in 2021, so we can resign Halak and protect him if we want. Then sign Rask after the draft.

OR

Re-sign Rask and protect, re-sign Halak for 2 years and expose him in the draft. They would have a choice between taking Krug or Halak.

Halak would be old, but he's been very good and would make the starter position for Seattle.

Reactions: bbfan419

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Rask is a UFA in 2021, so we can resign Halak and protect him if we want. Then sign Rask after the draft.

OR

Re-sign Rask and protect, re-sign Halak for 2 years and expose him in the draft. They would have a choice between taking Krug or Halak.

Halak would be old, but he's been very good and would make the starter position for Seattle.

Halak is 34 today. He would not even be close if they get a chance at Krug. People are going to over think this until the draft. Hopefully Sweeney doesn’t

Reactions: Lo97

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Our situation is pretty simple. It's one of Grz/Clifton, depending on Krug's new deal (assuming he'll sign back with us). Losing either one sucks.

Or if they like a forward better.

At the end of the day, you just have to suck it up and lose a player. Hopefully someone like Cooper Zech is ready to step up and fill the gap.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Or if they like a forward better.

At the end of the day, you just have to suck it up and lose a player. Hopefully someone like Cooper Zech is ready to step up and fill the gap.

Right, they could like a forward or goalie we have. So much will depend on what they think they need and what other teams have made available.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
This.

Go back and take a look at the deals teams made with Vegas to not draft certain players. In many cases the teams would have been better off just losing the player.

The Wild immediately come to mind.

2017 NHL expansion draft results: All the Golden Knights’ trades

McPhee wouldn't have anywhere near as good a team if he took BPA. Some of his selections were phenomenal.

OR

Theres being a backup with a shot at the starters job and being a backup in Boston behind the best goalie in the NHL.

Halak is gonna be a tough sign b/c I think he takes equal money to go elsewhere with a shot at starting.

Our goalie prospects are not good and we need a vet to push Tuukka so I hope something gets done that doesn't give him much of a raise.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Our situation is pretty simple. It's one of Grz/Clifton, depending on Krug's new deal (assuming he'll sign back with us). Losing either one sucks.

Actually, it's not that simple.

The choice for Seattle will be: Is Gryz/Clifton better then any 7 or 8 other guys they can select from around the league and taking a forward from Boston, or are they better then some of those 6 or 7 guys that will make the starting lineup and taking one of them and a forward from somewhere else?

You can't compare positional players with those on your team. Have to compare them to what's available around the league. Sometimes, the best player from a team isn't the best choice to make.

Now a team like Toronto can say "hey select Gryz from the Bruins and we'll trade you a draft pick for him". But you're playing with fire when you do that.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

McAvoy, Carlo, Gryz

Keyser and Vladar will both be eligible to be drafted. A player needs 2 years of pro experience to be eligible, defined by the NHL for anyone over 20 as 2 years playing at least 10 pro games a year. The AHL and ECHL are counted as pro leagues - it's not just NHL games that are tallied. So by 2021 both of them will almost certainly qualify for drafting, which means we really should be looking to protect one, probably Keyser. Same goes for Bjork and anyone else down in Providence who is playing more than a handful of games.

As said above, we won't need to protect Krejci if we simply leave him uncontracted 'til the end of summer 2021, as he'll be ineligible as a UFA. Same for Rask.

Edit: sorry, correction. Keyser will still be in his second year in summer 2021, so he'll be exempt. Same goes for Vaak, as his pro games before the age of 20 don't count, so he'll also only be a 'second year' player for the purposes of the draft.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

McAvoy, Carlo, Gryz

Providence games are professional games. Your statement on Bjork isn’t right.

Vaakaneinen is exempt. His professional games before a certain age don’t count because he came to NA early. Similar to Honka in the Vegas draft. Euro stuff.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Now that trade deadline is over, I goofed around with a 2020 - 2021 roster, with a bit of an eye toward the expansion draft in June 2021.

Marchand - 6.125 - Bergeron - 6.875 - Pastrnak - 6.666.666

*JDB - 3.750 (3yr) - Krejci - 7.250 - Kase 2.600

Ritchie 1.5 - Coyle 5.250 - Bjork - 2.100

Lindholm 700K - Frederic 925K - Wagner 1.35

Blidh 700K - Studnicka- 770K

*Krug 6.5 (6yr) - McAvoy 4.9

*Grizz 3.5 (3yr) - Carlo 0 2.850

*Chara 2.0 - Lauzon 850K

Clifton1.0

Rask 7.0

*Halak - 2.5

Kuraly and Moore traded for picks to free up space