Expansion Draft Question

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
UPDATED with what appears to be status of our D. Assuming we go with 7F/3D/1G model I’ve marked in red who we’d have to protect. Leaving Gryz/Krug, Clifton, Moore, Miller, Kaempfer.

Stealing Jean Jackets list of D from the UV thread. Can one of you help me out with who on this list has to be protected (contract, NMC, etc), who doesn’t need to be protected yet, and then who we’d have to risk losing or protect? I realize this depends on D/F/G we select (I believe rules are same as Vegas draft) but just trying to get a sense of our risk.

Thanks.

“Bruins depth on D ain’t fair for others:

Chara - WOULD BE ELLIGIBLE/Need protecting (assuming retired)
McAvoy - WOULD BE ELLIGIBLE/Need protecting
Krug - WOULD BE ELLIGIBLE/Need protecting
Carlo - WOULD BE ELLIGIBLE/Need protecting
Gryz - WOULD BE ELLIGIBLE/Need protecting
Clifton - WOULD BE ELLIGIBLE/Need protecting
UV - EXEMPT
Lauzon - NON-EXEMPT/Need protecting
Moore - WOULD BE ELLIGIBLE/Need protecting
Miller - WOULD BE ELLIGIBLE/Need protecting
Kampfer - WOULD BE ELLIGIBLE/Need protecting
Zboril - NON-EXEMPT/Need protecting

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Stealing Jean Jackets list of D from the UV thread. Can one of you help me out with who on this list has to be protected (contract, NMC, etc), who doesn’t need to be protected yet, and then who we’d have to risk losing or protect? I realize this depends on D/F/G we select (I believe rules are same as Vegas draft) but just trying to get a sense of our risk.

Thanks.

Chara
McAvoy
Krug
Carlo
Gryz
Clifton
UV
Lauzon
Moore
Miller
Kampfer
Zboril”
Vaakanainen exempt

Reactions: Number8

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Thanks.

Chara
McAvoy
Krug
Carlo
Gryz
Clifton
UV - EXCEMPT
Lauzon
Moore
Miller
Kampfer
Zboril”
Thanks DKH. Others anyone?

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Really need to find out about Krug
Just saw an article in The Hockey News saying at Krug, McAvoy, Clifton, and Gryz need protecting. I’m updating OP.

I know Draft is 2021 so this isn’t exact science yet.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Assuming based on Dan’s comment on UV being exempt same is true for Lauzon, Zboril

Moore, Chara (suspect he’ll be retired), Miller, and Kuempfer would have to be protected.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
so....... to the heart of my question. If we pick 3 D model (if we go with fewer forwards we could maybe take 4 D) - do we move a Dman for a 2RW later this season?

Clifton, Gryz, Krug, Moore, Miller, Kaempfer would appear to be on the list. Assuming we protect Carlo and McAvoy and would pick one of Krug or Gryz.

That leaves Krug/or/Gryz and Clifton as two possible painful losses.

Do we move one for that 2RW need later this season?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Assuming based on Dan’s comment on UV being exempt same is true for Lauzon, Zboril

Moore, Chara (suspect he’ll be retired), Miller, and Kuempfer would have to be protected.
Boston Bruins - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
all right here

Zboril
Lauzon

need to be protected

if KRUG signs assume he will have NMC and be protected

my guess

Krug
Carlo
McAvoy

They take Grzelcyk unless Boston cuts a deal which I believe they will

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
I think its almost an inevitability the Bruins lose one Gryz/Clifton in the expansion draft because if they trade one to recoup some value, the other likely goes to Seattle anyways. I think the biggest wins Vegas got were from the deals made to protect players, I think it's best to just bite the bullet and lose one straight up. By then, a few of Vaak, Lauzon, Zboril maybe even Anderson will be ready for full time NHL gigs hopefully.

Of course, this is assuming Krug re-signs, which I think is very likely. If Krug is gone, my gut tells me the Bruins trade for/sign a LD for the top pairing that we'd want to protect over Gryz/Clifton anyways.

I'm most interested in finding out how the Bruins are going to make a goalie available for the draft.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I think its almost an inevitability the Bruins lose one Gryz/Clifton in the expansion draft because if they trade one to recoup some value, the other likely goes to Seattle anyways. I think the biggest wins Vegas got were from the deals made to protect players, I think it's best to just bite the bullet and lose one straight up. By then, a few of Vaak, Lauzon, Zboril maybe even Anderson will be ready for full time NHL gigs hopefully.

Of course, this is assuming Krug re-signs, which I think is very likely. If Krug is gone, my gut tells me the Bruins trade for/sign a LD for the top pairing that we'd want to protect over Gryz/Clifton anyways.

I'm most interested in finding out how the Bruins are going to make a goalie available for the draft.

Agree, and I think Gryz is the one they'd pick.

It's sad to lose him, especially as a local boy, but in terms of asset management, I think it's too costly to work out a deal to protect him when you've got D-Men in the pipeline like Vaak, Zboril, and Lauzon who could pick up some of the slack going forward.

Reactions: Scruffy and sarge88

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I would guess McAvoy and carlo are the obvious two... and then we are in trouble.

we might be clever with krugs contract... possibly load the crap out of it with some obscene bonus that gets paid after the draft... a final year bonus of like 30 million lol...

but not sure that would be ok with the Jacobs family or the nhl

as for chara... pretty sure he will be on 1 year deals... expansion teams dont select 67 year old players anyhow

grezlyck… interesting... how much will his new deal be? I kept thinking under 3 mill but if he suddenly has a 35 point season thats probably going north of 4 mill. honestly... we might need to trade him before expansion draft ever rolls around. hes probably not a huge improvement over either krug of vaikanainen… and contracts are going to matter when we are filling out our D

cliftons contract is fantastic... if hes established as a regular 82 game nhl pro then hes the very obvious choice for seattle… and sadly I dont think hes good enough for us to give up much to protect him. he is after all, a bottom pair dman as long as we have McAvoy/carlo which is probably going to be the next decade minimum

I dont see any other dmen really entering the conversation... moore isnt as attractive as Clifton or grezlyck… lauzon is very unlikely to be of consideration unless we throw something in... same goes for zboril… I suppose andersson might shock us with a monster season in the minors but probably not

I doubt andersson would even be eligible... but he might be enough bait to convince seattle to take someone like kampfer… probably not

my gut call is... we just bite the bullet... protect krug if hes still here... expose Clifton and grezlyck or trade grezlyck ahead of time... go forward with McAvoy/carlo/krug as our top 3 and work vaikananen into the top 5 along with whoever is still here between Clifton/grez… and then if chara is still signing one year deals we know who our 6th dman is and we are fine... lauzon or zboril will be needing to be on the big team if they are still in the system by that time so we got our 7th dman too

its going to suck to lose a favorite player... but its not going to suck as far as depth/talent goes... we will still be in great shape

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

theres always some guy that lost his job as a goalie and still kicking around dreaming he will get another chance...

throw a signing bonus to someone like a scott darling and they would ink a contract for you

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Boston Bruins - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
all right here

Zboril
Lauzon

need to be protected

if KRUG signs assume he will have NMC and be protected

my guess

Krug
Carlo
McAvoy

They take Grzelcyk unless Boston cuts a deal which I believe they will

my interest would be... what deal would you offer? what is the difference between grez at around 4 mill or Clifton at around 1 mill?

for me... I dont see much difference at all. I definitely dont see it being a first round pick. now if we are protecting BOTH grez and Clifton that might be more interesting to me...

do we offer Heinen and a 3rd or Heinen and zboril if they leave our important dmen alone?

give them Heinen for a 7th round pick... with the condition they select zboril?

heinens fans are going to hate me... do we offer a Bjork and a better prospect like maybe federic?

is keeping Clifton or grezlyck worth such a steep price?

honestly... id be very hesitant to give up much of anything to protect either Clifton or grezlyck. I only keep grez if we are losing krug because otherwise we spend to much on a bottom pair dman... and if grez has continued to get better then I never let him get to expansion anyhow... if hes actually worth a first round pick I make a hockey trade with someone

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
UPDATED with what appears to be status of our D. Assuming we go with 7F/3D/1G model I’ve marked in red who we’d have to protect. Leaving Gryz/Krug, Clifton, Moore, Miller, Kaempfer.

Thanks.

Chara - WOULD BE ELLIGIBLE/Need protecting (assuming retired)
McAvoy - THN SAYS WOULD BE ELLIGIBLE/Need protecting
Krug - THN SAYS WOULD BE ELLIGIBLE/Need protecting
Carlo - THN SAYS WOULD BE ELLIGIBLE/Need protecting
Gryz - THN SAYS WOULD BE ELLIGIBLE/Need protecting
Clifton - THN SAYS WOULD BE ELLIGIBLE/Need protecting
UV - EXEMPT
Lauzon - EXEMPT
Moore - WOULD BE ELLIGIBLE/Need protecting
Miller - WOULD BE ELLIGIBLE/Need protecting
Kampfer - WOULD BE ELLIGIBLE/Need protecting
Zboril - EXEMPT

can you update OP with Lauzon and Zboril’s non-exempt status.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Seems like this is really rounding into shape unless there are trades.

If they keep Krug, they will lose Gryz. If they let Krug go, they will likely lose Clifton unless Seattle sees more in Lauzon/Zboril.

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
The pending UFA rules will apply from the Vegas draft, correct? If so, I only see 4-5 locks for protection on forwards no? Marchand, Bergeron, Pasta, DeBrusk, and Coyle if he resigns? If we won't have to protect Krejci's expiring deal, that would be great. Even if Krejci is protected and they're forced to have Gryz/Clifton available on D, I'd be comfortable leaving players like Bjork or Heinen available. I think there's enough moving parts and depth that they can get really creative for those final 2-3 spots.

If Coyle signs and we don't have to protect Krejci (who I think re-signs after the draft, and who I don't think Seattle would want anyways), and nothing else changes up front, is that our 7?

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
This is why I have been advocating for Krug to be traded. One of them has to go before the draft, they are both way to valuable assets to lose in that manner.

Also not a fan of having two 5'9" players on D. Call me a dinosaur but one is limit for me.

I keep Grizz his style of play is very effective, yet players that don't put up points don't get paid. Guys like Krug who do, get overpaid. I say cash Krug in while you can. He'll be almost 30 when his next contract kicks in, already trending towards the danger zone of players to fall off the cliff. Especially for smaller D men who have been through the wringer because of their size.

Reactions: Estlin and OV

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It is hard to project what will be available to Seattle in 18 months but it is safe to assume they will be at worst a borderline playoff contender.

I misread the Vegas market completely and Seattle on paper looks to be more lucrative.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The pending UFA rules will apply from the Vegas draft, correct? If so, I only see 4-5 locks for protection on forwards no? Marchand, Bergeron, Pasta, DeBrusk, and Coyle if he resigns? If we won't have to protect Krejci's expiring deal, that would be great. Even if Krejci is protected and they're forced to have Gryz/Clifton available on D, I'd be comfortable leaving players like Bjork or Heinen available. I think there's enough moving parts and depth that they can get really creative for those final 2-3 spots.

If Coyle signs and we don't have to protect Krejci (who I think re-signs after the draft, and who I don't think Seattle would want anyways), and nothing else changes up front, is that our 7?

It's my understanding that anyone not contracted for 2021/22 or who won't be a RFA at the end of their current contract doesn't have to be protected, so that will exempt Krejci as well as Rask, Kuraly, Kampfer and Lindholm as long as we don't re-sign them before summer 2021. There's minimal risk in that for the first two as I can't see either of them wanting to go elsewhere or anyone being particularly interested in them at that point anyway. We do need to put up one goalie though who will be under contract or a RFA. So we could either protect Halak or whoever the 2nd goalie is at that point, or we can protect one of the youngsters, preferably Keyser the way he's going. That's probably the best option.

So for the forwards I think it's the five you mentioned - Marchand, Bergy, Pasta, DeBrusk and hopefully Coyle - and two more, excluding Krejci and possibly Kuraly and Lindholm too. The strategy comes in choosing the last two. We have to expose one contracted/RFA guy who's played at least 40 games in 2020/21 or 70 across two seasons. So one of Heinen, Wags, probably Kuhlman and Nordy, anyone like Bjork or Frederic who makes the grade in the next couple of years, and anyone we sign in that time, will have to be put up as eligible to be drafted, and two of them can be protected.

My guess is one of those two will be a signing we get within the next 12 months, whether that's the mythical 2RW or someone else, so that leaves one more. If it does get down to that then I think Heinen's the guy, unless Bjork finally gets another chance soon and hits it out of the park. There's still quite a bit that can change before 2021, but that seems to be how things are shaping up.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
CapFriendly has a Seattle expansion part where you can protect players yourself and see what’s left. It also shows you who is exempt from the draft.

Reactions: DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
my interest would be... what deal would you offer? what is the difference between grez at around 4 mill or Clifton at around 1 mill?

for me... I dont see much difference at all. I definitely dont see it being a first round pick. now if we are protecting BOTH grez and Clifton that might be more interesting to me...

do we offer Heinen and a 3rd or Heinen and zboril if they leave our important dmen alone?

give them Heinen for a 7th round pick... with the condition they select zboril?

heinens fans are going to hate me... do we offer a Bjork and a better prospect like maybe federic?

is keeping Clifton or grezlyck worth such a steep price?

honestly... id be very hesitant to give up much of anything to protect either Clifton or grezlyck. I only keep grez if we are losing krug because otherwise we spend to much on a bottom pair dman... and if grez has continued to get better then I never let him get to expansion anyhow... if hes actually worth a first round pick I make a hockey trade with someone
If Sweeney offers Heinen I want him fired

Heinen is my litmus test on HF & twitter

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Just saw an article in The Hockey News saying at Krug, McAvoy, Clifton, and Gryz need protecting. I’m updating OP.

I know Draft is 2021 so this isn’t exact science yet.

Wait, THN says to protect Clifton and not Carlo? Please tell me thats a typo.

McAvoy, Carlo, Gryz

Krug is the 4th man out because of what we would have to pay him this summer. Not only do we have to pay Krug to stay, we would have to do it twice since we either made a deal with Seattle not to select him or weprotect 4 D and only 6 forwards.

Forwards: Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, DeBrusk, Coyle, Kuraly/Heinen

Expose Krejci since I doubt Seattle will take him at 7 mill, its a gamble but it's either that or expose Kuraly/Heinen.

Backes will not get selected due to age and contract.
Kuhlman, Lindholm, Nordstrom, Wagner, Ritchie, etc. are all easily replacable parts. Makes sense why we loaded up on top 6.

Bjork will not be elegable IF WE LIMIT HIS NHL GAMES PLAYED. Which makes TOTAL sense why he is in Providence right now.

Goaltending is perfect: Rask, Halak will be a FA next summer and Keyser wont have enough NHL games played to be exposed. Goaltending is wrapped up.

SO: If we switch a F spot for a D spot and protect Krug we expose Krejci, Heinen, Kuraly.
If we stick with the 7/3/1 then we expose Krug and 2 of Krejci, Heinen, Kuraly.

People are gonna hate on me for this, but....expose Krejci. He is downturning and we need the 7 mil in cap space. There is also a good chance Seattle does not take him at that cost. Either way we win, keep him or cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->