HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Have you even watched Juulsen this year? Look at the team since his injury, its flat out getting dominated left and right, it wasnt this way with Juulsen. Juulsen is surely not just "surviving". Youre wrong on that one.

Mete I agree.

I've watched Juulsen and I think the team without Juulsen getting dominated was just as true with him in, the team isn't good whether he is playing or not.

He gets destroyed by speed, his skating isn't good enough to handle it and he hasn't found a way to compensate for it at the pro level yet.

I know we all wanna be enamored by our younger players and assert more to them then there is, but there's more work to be done and there is absolutely no reason he needs to be getting exposed at the NHL level right now, when he's only had 20 games at the AHL level, and only produced any amount of offense in the last couple before being called up.

Reactions: Sorinth

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I've watched Juulsen and I think the team without Juulsen getting dominated was just as true with him in, the team isn't good whether he is playing or not.

He gets destroyed by speed, his skating isn't good enough to handle it and he hasn't found a way to compensate for it at the pro level yet.

I know we all wanna be enamored by our younger players and assert more to them then there is, but there's more work to be done and there is absolutely no reason he needs to be getting exposed at the NHL level right now, when he's only had 20 games at the AHL level, and only produced any amount of offense in the last couple before being called up.
Over statement ? How often did he get destroyed by speed ? He's not any "slower" than our last three 1D that we've had, he just needs more experience to learn to control his gap and not get burned. It's an overstatement to say he's only surviving because he got burned two or three times.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hopefully we'll have a competent GM in place well before the expansion draft to avoid the same idiotic mistakes we made last time around

Unless we get a new owner, Molson's man-crush will be "leading" the direction of the this team.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Can't see Seattle taking Price.

That contract is bullet proof. You think an expansion team is gonna want to pay his entire salary up front in bonuses every year?

How much of Price's upfront money will have been paid by the time Seattle is selecting?

Also, isn't Price's wife from Seattle? Not that it's the most important thing but it could make it easier for Price to waive his restrictive movement clause.

Reactions: cphabs

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
For those wondering if the same draft rules will apply, the answer is yes, except Vegas won't have to participate (and doesn't get a share of the expansion fee, either):

Makes sense. What's the point of having granted Vegas full access to all the players they wanted only to have them lose a prized asset within such a short window. They'd have more to lose than any established club.

Reactions: Montrealer

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
How much of Price's upfront money will have been paid by the time Seattle is selecting?

Also, isn't Price's wife from Seattle? Not that it's the most important thing but it could make it easier for Price to waive his restrictive movement clause.

He never makes more than 2 million in base salary.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Teams will be wiser to the expansion draft after the Vegas one. Basically, do what a few teams did, including Montreal, protect who you'll protect and expose who you'll expose. You will only lose one player this way. That is much better than trying to make side deals where you lose two or three assets in order to protect one player or to ensure a specific player is selected.

There is no need to complicate the process for yourself.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Here is the breakdown of Price's contract in terms of how the Habs are paying him:

SeasonSalarySigning Bonus (incl. in salary)
2018-2019$15,000,000$13,000,000
2019-2020$15,000,000$13,000,000
2020-2021$9,750,000$8,750,000
2021-2022$13,000,000$11,000,000
2022-2023$7,750,000$6,750,000
2023-2024$8,500,000$6,500,000
2024-2025$7,500,000$5,500,000
2025-2026$7,500,000$5,500,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

If Price were to be made available at the expansion draft, and say it takes place in the summer of 2022, then $34M of the total contract will have been paid by then.

If we disregard the expansion draft, the first four years of the deal are when Price receives the greatest sums. He becomes manageable by the 2022-23 season, at which time he also becomes much older. Atrocious deal.

See Sportsnet "Year-by-Year breakdown of Carey Price's contract".

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Should have went to Quebec.

It's all financials. But I don't see how the league could lose by having Quebec join also. If Quebec can affort the 650 million dollar fee, why would the owners of each team say no to and extra 31 million dollars each.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's all financials. But I don't see how the league could lose by having Quebec join also. If Quebec can affort the 650 million dollar fee, why would the owners of each team say no to and extra 31 million dollars each.

They want 32 teams and in a business sense it makes more opportunity for growth in a market they don't have a big of stake in

They've got Quebec. They've got all of Canada.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Mrb1p is just consequent. He says how Juulsen is already seen as a great pick, so there's just no way you'll have him diss it. I personnally believe he has in him to improve, but we might very well looking at a fine 3rd pairing D. One thing is sure.....as you said yourself, we looked as bad with him than without him. He made absolutely no difference this year.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal

She is from Kennewick, Washington State about 3 hours from Seattle

Makes sense though

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We don't have all of the info, I concur. However, the conclusions that are presented are endorsed by John Sedwick who checked with an NHL official. :dunno: I wish we had a better understanding of the process by which they arrived at these conclusions but since we don't, I'll be satisfied knowing that Poehling can be exempted from the expansion draft.

It might make a huge difference on if we have to protect him or not! With the expansion draft and how Weber will be 36 the year after, we will have to make a difficult decision on the format we choose to take (1G, 7F, 3D) or (1G, 4F, 4D). Who are we leaving out between Weber, Petry, Mete, Juulsen, Fleury? We might go 4D, 4F. Lets say we do...

Price
Weber, Petry, Mete, Juulsen
Kotkaniemi, Domi, Drouin, and one of the following... Gallagher, Tatar, Lehkonen, Byron, Armia.

If Poehling has to be protected, it makes it much worse IMO. I'm sure things will change but it don't look good at the moment. We stand to lose one really good player. Much better than Emelin, that is for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->