HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
So looking at it now, it might have been better to have let Fleury play another year in junior
There is so much time until the expansion. I expect us to trade Tatar and Petry before then, and who knows, we might return asset(s) that we have to protect too. Maybe Fleury becomes a nobody. Only time will tell.

Reactions: dralaf

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
So looking at it now, it might have been better to have let Fleury play another year in junior

He’s going to be exempt unless he plays an NHL game this year. You need more than two years pro experience to be protected. If you are 18 or 19 at the start of the season then it doesn't count as a pro-year unless you have played in a NHL game

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
He’s going to be exempt unless he plays an NHL game this year. You need more than two years pro experience to be protected. If you are 18 or 19 at the start of the season then it doesn't count as a pro-year unless you have played in a NHL game

Ahl counts as pro experience no?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So you think Mete is ahead of Juulsen right now, huh. Not many are of the same thinking, but that doesn't mean you're wrong.

I think they are on the same page. Neither are quality NHL d men at this point. They can survive with some sheltering but they aren't providing a lot more than the bare minimum needed to defend at the NHL level.

Mete needs to be more assertive offensively while getting stronger in his own end.

Juulsen needs to be more assertive offensively while improving his skating because right now, when challenged with above average speed, he gets exposed.

Reactions: Deebs

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Easy, give them incentive to take Price. I’m sure they will hire one of the old guard who still think he’s an elite goalie at that point. He’s from BC. He’s a big name to bring in fans. He’s a stable presence. They’ll have lots of cap space. Not much different than the Fleury selection by Vegas.

Primeau should be close to ready by that point.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
It burns a year on his ELC contract but it doesn’t count as a pro experience since he was 19 when the season started.

Same applies to Liljigren and Sandin (two similar situation)

I don't think that's true as CHL players cannot play in the AHL before turning 20. Fleury is a late birthday that is why he started at 19 but turned 20 in November. He is a 1998.

Lilly and Sandin are European players, it's not the same thing

Cale Fleury
2018-19 Pro
2019-20 Pro
2020-21 Pro
2021 summer: Expansion draft

I don't think he will be exempt

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Easy, give them incentive to take Price. I’m sure they will hire one of the old guard who still think he’s an elite goalie at that point. He’s from BC. He’s a big name to bring in fans. He’s a stable presence. They’ll have lots of cap space. Not much different than the Fleury selection by Vegas.

I'm not against it

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Unless we need the cap space or Price is awful in the next 2 and half years, there is little chance we expose him.

That doesnt even take into account that Price has a full nmc. So the only way we could expose him is if Price wanted to play for Seattle.

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
I hate the idea of yet another NHL team in a watered down league but this may be a great way to get rid of Price.He's from out that way and played junior there and I think his wife is from there too.Hopefully they'll bite.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I don't think that's true as CHL players cannot play in the AHL before turning 20. Fleury is a late birthday that is why he started at 19 but turned 20 in November. He is a 1998.

Lilly and Sandin are European players, it's not the same thing

Cale Fleury
2018-19 Pro
2019-20 Pro
2020-21 Pro
2021 summer: Expansion draft

I don't think he will be exempt

The rule is if you are 19 at the start of the season and you play the full year in the AHL and no NHL game, it won’t count toward a pro-year for the expension draft.

Same rule applies if Suzuki and Poehling join the Rocket at the end of the year.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Can't see Seattle taking Price.

That contract is bullet proof. You think an expansion team is gonna want to pay his entire salary up front in bonuses every year?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think they are on the same page. Neither are quality NHL d men at this point. They can survive with some sheltering but they aren't providing a lot more than the bare minimum needed to defend at the NHL level.

Mete needs to be more assertive offensively while getting stronger in his own end.

Juulsen needs to be more assertive offensively while improving his skating because right now, when challenged with above average speed, he gets exposed.
Have you even watched Juulsen this year? Look at the team since his injury, its flat out getting dominated left and right, it wasnt this way with Juulsen. Juulsen is surely not just "surviving". Youre wrong on that one.

Mete I agree.

Reactions: Deebs

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Can't believe people are talking about this 3 years early lol

None of it is relevant. There is literally not a single player in our organization i say is untouchable 3 years out - that includes our latest 1st round draft pick. 3 years is a long time. So much can change.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I hate the idea of yet another NHL team in a watered down league but this may be a great way to get rid of Price.He's from out that way and played junior there and I think his wife is from there too.Hopefully they'll bite.
Top teams surely arent watered down. Have you taken a look at their rosters

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Can't believe people are talking about this 3 years early lol

None of it is relevant. There is literally not a single player in our organization i say is untouchable 3 years out - that includes our latest 1st round draft pick. 3 years is a long time. So much can change.
theres a difference between untouchable and giving away a player for free.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015

The key to this scenario would be that we have a goalie playing to the calibre of Matt Murray to make someone like Price expendable. That would be an enviable scenario indeed.

My problem, and maybe it's my rose colored Price glasses talking, is that I still think Price will be a top goalie for a number of years. Maybe I'm part of that old guard who still think he's elite.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
theres a difference between untouchable and giving away a player for free.

You're right of course but it's so far off - has the NHL even announced yet if the expansion draft will follow same format as for Vegas?
3 years from now our core may be completely different. I saw people talking about Tatar and Petry last page and i suppose it's possible they're still here in 3 years but very very likely they aren't.

I'm not saying 3 years from now we might give Kotka for free - but we might trade him by then. 3 years is a long time

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
For those wondering if the same draft rules will apply, the answer is yes, except Vegas won't have to participate (and doesn't get a share of the expansion fee, either):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->