HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
No, Alzner is playing at a $650k level.

Also, I'm not saying he WILL drop to a $4M level, just that if he does, he should not be protected.

If MB is still here I wonder if he would do that. I mean how bad would the trade look if he trades Subban and all he gets is a couple seasons from Weber and then loses him to the expansion draft for nothing. The optics would be so bad for him, not sure he would do that. Although I would think and hope that Weber is still a very good player by then. The one thing i've been saying is we just have to wait and see how he looks as at his age and wear and tear we don't know how much the injuries will impact his already below average speed on a team that clearly wants to be fast.

Are we sure about 2020 for the Seattle expansion? Or it could be 2021?

nothing is official yet but they are shooting for June 2020.

You're right, I remembered it wrong. But it might be smart to do that, banking on the fact that it wouldn't be likely Seattle takes a UFA and convinces him to sign in the time before free agency. Then again, if he ends up being really good it'd be better for us to protect him, and we might have to make a trade with Seattle to ensure they don't take one of our guys who we have to expose.

yea having a guy as a UFA would be better since it's unlikely they would pick a UFA. I assume the Habs will make a few trades between now and the draft so I think they will be in good shape. Of course we'll need to see who does what over this season and next.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
It's not clear for me. Which of these players would be open to protection or not in june 2020 for te expansion? Why?
Reilly? Mete? Kotkaniemi? Hudon? Juulsen?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's not clear for me. Which of these players would be open to protection or not in june 2020 for te expansion? Why?
Reilly? Mete? Kotkaniemi? Hudon? Juulsen?

All but Kotka will need to be protected. If the expansion draft is in June 2020, only players that have played more then 2 pro seasons will need to be protected if they use the same rule as Vegas.

Reactions: Frank JT

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
Price,
Reilly, Mete, Juulsen
Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, Lekhonen, Danault, Byron, Tatar

Petry trade at the 2019 deadline
Weber trade at the 2020 deadline or exposed

Fleury or Brook will take Weber's place in te 2020-2021 season.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Price,
Reilly, Mete, Juulsen
Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, Lekhonen, Danault, Byron, Tatar

Petry trade at the 2019 deadline
Weber trade at the 2020 deadline or exposed

Fleury or Brook will take Weber's place in te 2020-2021 season.

Weber will never be exposed unless he becomes an absolute boat anchor by that time, which is doubtful.

Frankc

Jan 9, 2005
Montreal
So I guess it now means that Kotka will also need to be protected but fortunately Poehling & Suzuki will be protected automaticly?

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Danault and Tatar are ufa in 3 years, so they won't need to be protected. Poehling, Suzuki, Brook wont need to be protected.
So I guess we go will go with:

7 forwards:
Gally, Drouin, Domi, Kotkaniemi, Armia, Hudon, Lehkonen

Not protected: Byron (should trade him since he will have 1 year left), Shaw, Evans

3 Defenseman:
Weber, Mete, Juulsen

Not protected: Fleury, Reilly

Goalie:
Price

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Danault and Tatar are ufa in 3 years, so they won't need to be protected.

7 forwards:
Gally, Drouin, Domi, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Suzuki, Lehkonen

Not protected: Byron (should trade him since he will have 1 year left), Shaw, Armia, Hudon

3 Defenseman:
Weber, and 2 of Juulsen/Mete/Brook/Fleury

This one will be hard. Could lose 1 of those D.

Goalie:
Price

I have no idea how effective Weber will be in 3 years at 36. It's pretty much impossible to predict. Some are really good into their mid to late 30s (Giordano). Some fade fast (Duncan Keith, Seabrook). With the league getting faster, it's harder and harder to be good after 35.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Danault and Tatar are ufa in 3 years, so they won't need to be protected.

7 forwards:
Gally, Drouin, Domi, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Suzuki, Lehkonen

Not protected: Byron (should trade him since he will have 1 year left), Shaw, Armia, Hudon

3 Defenseman:
Weber, and 2 of Juulsen/Mete/Brook/Fleury

This one will be hard. Could lose 1 of those D.

Goalie:
Price
Well one of Weber, Juulsen, Brook, Fleury would get traded either way. I think Mete is the odd man out. Hopefully we trade him earlier and not wait last second like Beaulieu.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If they play Pro. They will play pro anyway.

Poehling can have one more year of college though, no? Although that's risking losing him the following summer as he could wait until august and sign with any team of his choosing.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Petry and Price have NMC.

Both would need to be protected.

I expect Petry to be traded in the next 2 years....

Poehling can have one more year of college though, no? Although that's risking losing him the following summer as he could wait until august and sign with any team of his choosing.

I don't see him playing another year in college.

I'm wrong. Brook, Poehling & Suzuki will have 2 pro-seasons so he doesn't need to be protected in 2021. It's when a player has played a 3rd season.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well one of Weber, Juulsen, Brook, Fleury would get traded either way. I think Mete is the odd man out. Hopefully we trade him earlier and not wait last second like Beaulieu.

People don't realize how lucky we were this past expansion draft. We basically lost Beaulieu and Emelin, and got back a 3rd. Beaulieu could turn out to be a decent bottom pairing NHLer. Emelin was no longer a decent bottom pairing NHLer.

Other teams lost far more, and I expect to lose far more next draft. A team like us that is more deep than top heavy should logically lose a good player. I would like it to be a Lehkonen or some other limited offensive player more than a top 4 dman.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Petry and Price have NMC.

Both would need to be protected.

I expect Petry to be traded in the next 2 years....

I don't see him playing another year in college.

I'm wrong. Brook, Poehling & Suzuki will have 2 pro-seasons so he doesn't need to be protected in 2021. It's when a player has played a 3rd season.
Petry's contract will be over by the time this expansion draft will be around.

Reactions: Agalloch

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I thought it was for 2020-21 season ?

I expect Drouin, Lehkonen, Kotkaniemi, Domi, Byron, Danault, Gallagher

On D, Weber, Mete and Juulsen.

G. Price.

EDIT : forgot Gallagher.. I forgot Petry has a NMC. I would trade him before that.

Petry's NMC is now modified. Starting 2018-19, lists 15 teams he can not be traded to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad