HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I think he has been Habs' best overall dman through pre-season and first two games. Last season he sure showed flashes of puck-moving/offensive ability but this year he has taken his d game to another level.

As for the expansion draft, there is one possible solution not to lose him: sign him to one year deal after this season so he becomes a UFA thus ineligible for expansion. Then sign him after the expansion draft. He would have to agree to this but considering that it is the first time that a team has given him a real opportunity in the NHL he might well be inclined to extend this way.

He would still be eligible. It makes it less attractive for an expansion team to sign a player with only 1 year left before becoming ufa.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
He would still be eligible. It makes it less attractive for an expansion team to sign a player with only 1 year left before becoming ufa.

No he wouldn't, if we sign him for the 2019-2020 season, and the expansion draft takes place in June 2020 then he couldn't be taken as he'd be a UFA and not property of the Habs.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Just checked his bday and he misses the UFA cutoff date of june 30 by two weeks so he will not be ufa in 2020. I guess MB is stockpiling young dmen who are quite advanced in their development with some NHL experience to mitigate a possible expansion draft loss.

If Reilly is the real deal, then we could protect 8 skaters instead of 7 forwards + 3 defenseman.

4 forwards: Domi, Drouin, Lehkonen, Gallagher

4D: Mete, Juulsen, Weber, Reilly

Within 2 years, Tatar, Armia, Danault (because kotka/poehling/suzuki) and Petry (because Weber/Juulsen/Brook/Fleury) would probably be traded.

I dont think any of the 2017 and 2018 prospects need to be protected.

That would leave open: Hudon, Scherbak, Shaw, Byron.

If the expansion was right now, Byron would easily be picked among those 4.

Is Reilly worth protecting over any of those 4? If hes a legit top 4D, then yea.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
If Reilly is the real deal, then we could protect 8 skaters instead of 7 forwards + 3 defenseman.

Within 2 years, Tatar, Armia, Danault (because kotka/poehling/suzuki) and Petry (because Weber/Juulsen/Brook/Fleury) would probably be traded.

Is Reilly worth protecting over any of those 4? If hes a legit top 4D, then yea.

I don't think you need to protect Weber...he won't be selected because of his contract alone so that works to our advantage.

F: Domi, Drouin, Lehkonen, Gallagher, Tatar, Byron, Scherbak
D: Mete, Juulsen, Petry/Reilly
G: Price

We lose Petry/Reilly or Scherbak

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center

Why are you protecting Weber? Protect Byron.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I don't think you need to protect Weber...he won't be selected because of his contract alone so that works to our advantage.

F: Domi, Drouin, Lehkonen, Gallagher, Tatar, Byron, Scherbak
D: Mete, Juulsen, Petry/Reilly
G: Price

We lose Petry/Reilly or Scherbak

Youre crazy if you think they wouldnt select weber...

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Weber would 100% get picked, Petry will be traded before the expansion draft, Tatar will be traded before the expansion draft. Scherbak might not even be with us next week lol

Domi, Drouin, Gallagher, Danault, Byron, Armia and someone else acquired in a trade probably.

Mete, Juulsen, Weber

it's sad for reilly with how he's playing now but he's kinda the odd man out at defense. If he keeps progressing like that and Juulsen, Brooks, Fleury are realy impressing, you might gamble on leaving Weber unprotected since it's better going foward as a younger group. but Weber is clearly good to have around the kids if you're not in cap trouble...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If by any chance the one player we lose is Price or Weber, it means having a ton more cap space.

The only way I protect Price at $10.5M is if he is one of the top 3 goalies in the league.

The only way I protect Weber at $7.85M is if he still our #1 D, playing 25 minutes per game very effectively.

Anything less, meaning they are playing at a level below their cap hits, means not needing to protect them.

3 more seasons to go. Time will tell but I'm not on the these guys will decline like Gomez band wagon.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs should not make trades before the expansion draft. Making a trade just leaves another player exposed. Price will be protected, if he gets claimed who will be the #1?

We will have a very good idea how good Primeau will be by that point. But personally, I'm still protecting Price.

Locks

May 28, 2005

Yeah, it is a bit to soon to talk about it. I agree if Reilly is a real deal, they will have to find a way to protect him. Danault might be the one lost but a bonafide top 4 MPD is more valuable than a middle six C. particularly that Domi seems to be able to play the position, KK will have 2 years of NHL experience and Poehling and Suzuki will be in the mix.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
No he wouldn't, if we sign him for the 2019-2020 season, and the expansion draft takes place in June 2020 then he couldn't be taken as he'd be a UFA and not property of the Habs.

that's incorrect, the Habs hold UFA's rights until June 30th. You have to protect UFA's in the expansion draft, but only if you think said team will take them as it's very risky for them to waste a spot on a player that might just leave in a week. I don't recall Vegas taking any UFA's, but they are on the list of players that need to be protected.

Reactions: BaseballCoach

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yeah, it is a bit to soon to talk about it. I agree if Reilly is a real deal, they will have to find a way to protect him. Danault might be the one lost but a bonafide top 4 MPD is more valuable than a middle six C. particularly that Domi seems to be able to play the position, KK will have 2 years of NHL experience and Poehling and Suzuki will be in the mix.
No need to protect Weber unless he is playing at a minimum of $6.85M level (i.e. can't be wastingmore than $1M on any player we are protecting)

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Youre crazy if you think they wouldnt select weber...

OK, but if Weber is playing at a $4M level for example, but his cap is at $7.85M, then by losing him, you get the money to replace him, PLUS have $3.85M more to play with, PLUS you get to keep Reilly, Juulsen or Mete, or your 5th best forward - whoever you will lose if you protect Underperforming Weber.

Again, this is all on the premise that he is not earning his cap. If he is earning his cap, then protect him and leave someone else unprotected instead.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Weber would 100% get picked, Petry will be traded before the expansion draft, Tatar will be traded before the expansion draft. Scherbak might not even be with us next week lol

Domi, Drouin, Gallagher, Danault, Byron, Armia and someone else acquired in a trade probably.

Mete, Juulsen, Weber

it's sad for reilly with how he's playing now but he's kinda the odd man out at defense. If he keeps progressing like that and Juulsen, Brooks, Fleury are realy impressing, you might gamble on leaving Weber unprotected since it's better going foward as a younger group. but Weber is clearly good to have around the kids if you're not in cap trouble...

Nobody needs to decide now. The principles can be outlined, but the judgment about whether a particular player is worth his cap hit can wait.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
OK, but if Weber is playing at a $4M level for example, but his cap is at $7.85M, then by losing him, you get the money to replace him, PLUS have $3.85M more to play with, PLUS you get to keep Reilly, Juulsen or Mete, or your 5th best forward - whoever you will lose if you protect Underperforming Weber.

Again, this is all on the premise that he is not earning his cap. If he is earning his cap, then protect him and leave someone else unprotected instead.

You think that in 2 years Weber will drop to Alzner's current level?

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
At this point, Weber has to be protected.

You protect the players you can’t easily replace.

People think with Cap Space, we can magically add an elite player. It’s wrong.

The UFA crop get thinner each year.

Weber can’t be easily replaced

If i had to submit a list today:

Price,
Weber, Mete, Juulsen
Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, Lekhonen, Danault, Byron, Tatar

Petry, Reilly, Shaw, Peca, Scherbak, Lindgren, Hudon would be trade chip . Ideally sooner than later because the other team would have to protect them as well.

Of course once the real expansion plan, a lot will be different.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
that's incorrect, the Habs hold UFA's rights until June 30th. You have to protect UFA's in the expansion draft, but only if you think said team will take them as it's very risky for them to waste a spot on a player that might just leave in a week. I don't recall Vegas taking any UFA's, but they are on the list of players that need to be protected.

You're right, I remembered it wrong. But it might be smart to do that, banking on the fact that it wouldn't be likely Seattle takes a UFA and convinces him to sign in the time before free agency. Then again, if he ends up being really good it'd be better for us to protect him, and we might have to make a trade with Seattle to ensure they don't take one of our guys who we have to expose.

MC94

May 13, 2018
Short of Price being Vezina form the next 2 seasons, there will be a strong case to leave him unprotected... both for him and for us.
Hes always going to be a potential to win vezina untill hes late 30s easy to say we should just let him go is just ludicris

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Its incredible to see how many peopel have been drinking the cool aid of the media and HF boards. Weber hasnt changed his game his whole career. he plays the same way he always has. losing a step isnt possible cuz he neveer really depended on speed. its all about positioning and smarts. last year, playing on a broken foot for 26 games, was on pace for 19 goals on a pretty bad team, second lowest scoring to that point. his cap hit is 7.8. its not horrific going forwards given the cap will likely be up another 4 million by the expansion. he is going to come back in december, lead this team in goals by dmen and prob rank in top 10 for goals by dmen even if he missed 2 months. weber is good for 12-15 goals per season for the next 5 years.

He is the same age as other making similar money suter byfuglien, phaneuf burns, vlasic letang are a year younger. yet no one says anythign about all these D men. its Pejorative Slured. Weber will be like chara, a force into his late 30s. like lidstrom, like chelios and so many other d men that were elite. Weber is the leader of this core. OTherwise you end up being like the leafs with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd pairing Ds...

Reactions: CDN24

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Its incredible to see how many peopel have been drinking the cool aid of the media and HF boards. Weber hasnt changed his game his whole career. he plays the same way he always has. losing a step isnt possible cuz he neveer really depended on speed. its all about positioning and smarts. last year, playing on a broken foot for 26 games, was on pace for 19 goals on a pretty bad team, second lowest scoring to that point. his cap hit is 7.8. its not horrific going forwards given the cap will likely be up another 4 million by the expansion. he is going to come back in december, lead this team in goals by dmen and prob rank in top 10 for goals by dmen even if he missed 2 months. weber is good for 12-15 goals per season for the next 5 years.

He is the same age as other making similar money suter byfuglien, phaneuf burns, vlasic letang are a year younger. yet no one says anythign about all these D men. its ******ed. Weber will be like chara, a force into his late 30s. like lidstrom, like chelios and so many other d men that were elite. Weber is the leader of this core. OTherwise you end up being like the leafs with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd pairing Ds...

I like Weber. He's a good player. If he will be worth his cap hit come expansion time, protect him. If he is worth $4M and is costing $7.85M on the cap, then expose him.

Decide THEN, not now.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
agreed. However, looking at his cap hit.. and what itll be in 3 years... i mean around the league.. you have average dmen making 5-6 million on their first contracts after their ELC. 30 point dmen like parayko slavin and orlov making 5-6m per. Even if weber slows down offensively and stops scoring 15-20 goals per season and drops to 10.. his defensive game has always been stellar and that wont change. im not attackign its just so tiring to hear canadian media especially talk about weber like he is a disaster. its not normal. let me tell you.. if he gets traded to the leafs tomorrow.. theyre planning the parade. no m ore talk about contracts or slowing down.

theyll say... Shea Weber last year with the habs scored 6 goals and 16 points in 26 games.. on pace for 20 goals and 50 points. his 16 points were 3 more then Zaitsev and his 4.5m dollar contract even though zaitsev played 35 more games.

Ask the media and theyll tell you zaitsev is a great second pairing d man.

such rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad