HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
EDIT : forgot Gallagher.. I forgot Petry has a NMC. I would trade him before that.

he doesn't, that ended on June 30th. He now has a Limited NTC. 15 teams he can't be traded to. He'll be in his last year in the summer of '20 so after his 1M signing bonus he'll be owed 3M in salary so as long as his play doesn't dip in the next 2 years he still should have good value. I hope he's traded way before then though.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
This might be the perfect opportunity to get rid of Price, assuming he's be open to waive his NMC to go back close to home.

Reactions: dralaf

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Pretty sure they don't think about the expansion draft while making decisions right now... A lot of stuff can happen until that draft.
Sadly, I'd bet money you are right. I doubt the binman looks past lunch.

Reactions: WhiskeySeven*

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That will be in three years for god sake. Minimum half those players will not be on the team. Go Look at the Habs roster three years ago.

EDIT: I took my own advice and went to check the 13-14 team. Only 5 players from that team are on this one. So you're wasting your time.

True there is always roster turnover but our roster is young so it's reasonable to believe they stick around. If you feel so confident, name the guys on the protection list you think are gone? 50% of those players? Go... Educate us...

Regardless, you missed the point. The point was having an extra spot to protect if Kotkaniemi plays in Finland this year. But wait... I guess you will tell us it don't matter cause we have nothing to protect anyways?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Weber, Petry, Reilly, Mete, Juulsen, Fleury are all going to be Expansion Draft eligible I believe, and we can protect only 3. Sure the young guys at this moment are mostly all hope and promise, but I think we will be concerned about losing a D that we like in a couple of years.

See how guys develop, but MB really needs to look hard at trading Petry at the TDL. Through pick or player / prospect we need more PMDs in the system with top pair potential.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014
Weber, Petry, Reilly, Mete, Juulsen, Fleury are all going to be Expansion Draft eligible I believe, and we can protect only 3. Sure the young guys at this moment are mostly all hope and promise, but I think we will be concerned about losing a D that we like in a couple of years.

See how guys develop, but MB really needs to look hard at trading Petry at the TDL. Through pick or player / prospect we need more PMDs in the system with top pair potential.
Have they announced the rules of the expansion draft already?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Have they announced the rules of the expansion draft already?

Thought I read they would be, and that two years of North American pro hockey means you are eligible to be selected. So playing this year and next means a player has to be protected.

Could be wrong, but dont think I am.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

here's what was the rules for vegas,

* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft:
a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender
b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender
* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).
* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

So if they go with those rules and the draft is in June 2020, then Fleury won't need to be protected, none of the rookie pros will need to be protected because they will have just finished their 2nd pro season.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Exempt:
  • Kotkaniemi
  • Suzuki
  • Evans
  • Vejdemo
  • Teasdale
  • Pezzetta
  • Hayden
  • Alain
  • Fleury
  • Brook
  • Moravcik
  • Sklenicka
  • any new ELCs going forward

Expiring Contracts:
  • Schlemko
  • Armia
  • Peca
  • Deslauriers
  • Chaput
  • Benn 2019
  • Plekanec 2019
  • Agostino 2019
  • Froese 2019

Protect:
  • Price
  • Mete
  • Juulsen
  • Reilly
  • Gallagher
  • Lehkonen
  • Drouin
  • Domi
  • Danault
  • Tatar or Scherbak
  • DeLaRose or Hudon

Expose (will lose 1 from this list):
  • Niemi or other backup
  • Lindgren
  • McNiven
  • Weber
  • Petry
  • Ouellet
  • Alzner
  • Kulak
  • Olofsson
  • Lernout
  • Byron
  • Shaw
  • Hudon or DeLaRose
  • Scherbak or Tatar
  • McCarron
  • Shinkaruk
  • Audette
  • Waked
  • Addison

Reactions: Deebs

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I don't fall into BS trends. Price and Weber still have lots of value and they will be protected. The idea the Habs just give them away is ridiculous

If by any chance the one player we lose is Price or Weber, it means having a ton more cap space.

The only way I protect Price at $10.5M is if he is one of the top 3 goalies in the league.

The only way I protect Weber at $7.85M is if he still our #1 D, playing 25 minutes per game very effectively.

Anything less, meaning they are playing at a level below their cap hits, means not needing to protect them.

Reactions: calder candidate

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
If by any chance the one player we lose is Price or Weber, it means having a ton more cap space.

The only way I protect Price at $10.5M is if he is one of the top 3 goalies in the league.

The only way I protect Weber at $7.85M is if he still our #1 D, playing 25 minutes per game very effectively.

Anything less, meaning they are playing at a level below their cap hits, means not needing to protect them.
The expension team will need to reach the floor so grabbing a big salary / big name would make sense for them and if the aren’t performing to there cap hit it would help us out has well.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
here's what was the rules for vegas,

So if they go with those rules and the draft is in June 2020, then Fleury won't need to be protected, none of the rookie pros will need to be protected because they will have just finished their 2nd pro season.

Thanks for clarifying. I wrongly thought 2 years and protection needed but it's really 3 years since a guy just finishing year 2 doesnt need protection.

Still, think Petry might need to be moved.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
I hope we lose a good player in the expansion draft, that means we have 11 players even better still on the team.
GMs learned from the Vegas mistakes, they will simply lose a player and be done with it.
The team that will gain the most from the expansion will be Vegas, they are exempt from the expansion draft, so they will be able to low ball teams that will be losing players.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I hope we lose a good player in the expansion draft, that means we have 11 players even better still on the team.
GMs learned from the Vegas mistakes, they will simply lose a player and be done with it.
The team that will gain the most from the expansion will be Vegas, they are exempt from the expansion draft, so they will be able to low ball teams that will be losing players.
Not if they do as you say and just brace for losing one player.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Pretty sad that Vegas is exempt from the Seattle expansion draft.

Like they weren't given enough of a head start to begin with...

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Exempt:
  • Kotkaniemi
  • Suzuki
  • Evans
  • Vejdemo
  • Teasdale
  • Pezzetta
  • Hayden
  • Alain
  • Fleury
  • Brook
  • Moravcik
  • Sklenicka
  • any new ELCs going forward

Expiring Contracts:
  • Schlemko
  • Armia
  • Peca
  • Deslauriers
  • Chaput
  • Benn 2019
  • Plekanec 2019
  • Agostino 2019
  • Froese 2019

Protect:
  • Price
  • Mete
  • Juulsen
  • Reilly
  • Gallagher
  • Lehkonen
  • Drouin
  • Domi
  • Danault
  • Tatar or Scherbak
  • DeLaRose or Hudon

Expose (will lose 1 from this list):
  • Niemi or other backup
  • Lindgren
  • McNiven
  • Weber
  • Petry
  • Ouellet
  • Alzner
  • Kulak
  • Olofsson
  • Lernout
  • Byron
  • Shaw
  • Hudon or DeLaRose
  • Scherbak or Tatar
  • McCarron
  • Shinkaruk
  • Audette
  • Waked
  • Addison
Most of these players will be traded by the expansion draft.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Pretty sad that Vegas is exempt from the Seattle expansion draft.

Like they weren't given enough of a head start to begin with...

Vegas was not given an undue head start. If they got forwards who can score 30 or more, it's because certain other GMs were total idiots.

Every team could protect their best goalie, their 7 best forwards and their 3 best defencemen. Furthermore, their 1 and 2 year pros didn't have to be protected, and on top of that their expiring UFAs who were ready to re-sign after the draft didn't have to be protected. And if a good team had both an 8th best forward and a 4th best defenceman available, they could only lose one of the two.

Give Vegas credit and most of the other GMs demerit points for how they valued scorers as opposed to generic "safe" players, and derision is appropriate toward the GMs who, faced with the prospect of losing one player, managed to give away one or two more.

Columbus PAID Vegas EXTRA to take the guy who became their 40 goal scorer, Nashville CHOSE to let go one of their top 3 goal-scorers, and Florida protected average guys while letting go their only 30 goal scorer and third top point getter (at age 25!!) because he was "too short", as if pucks that go in the net only count for a full goal if tall people score them. News flash: short people's goals DO NOT COUNT LESS!

Finally, Vegas didn't even get the first pick in the amateur draft, like expansion teams of old got.

Any GM who whines about what a free ride Vegas got should be fired.

Last edited:
Reactions: MordredGK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->