HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 Part 5: The Exposed List edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
If Seattle is signing Dreidger to a 3.5m contract.. they aren't selecting Price.

That's was exactly my thought even before that contract. It was obvious they were signing him to around 3-4 millions.

Are they ready to put 14 millions right away on their G.....especially considering that Driedger has been fantastic with Florida last year?

It would be even more than the Habs would have with Price and Allen.....and I'm pretty sure that Driedger signed there mostly because he had the insurance to have the starting job or at least to be a real 1A\1B playing half the season at least.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
If Seattle is signing Dreidger to a 3.5m contract.. they aren't selecting Price.
Yes guaranteed that Price remain a Habs.

Nice try getting rid of his contract, now time to LTIR everybody and go for another SC run.

If we are lucky they select Byron.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I was wondering about that. $14M in cap space tied up on two goalies for at least 3 years.

I wonder what kind of conversation it will be between Seattle and Price? Would they ask Price to waive his NMC to go to the Oilers (50% retention) for example? I think that if they take him, they try to flip him a year later thinking he will be 100% healthy again and he would be of value at 50% retention

Tough decision for Francis so early in his tenure. It could be a genius move or a move that puts his job on the line from the beginning. Owners gave him the OK but they are also trusting him in making the long term decision that helps the franchise as well.

I'm 60% they don't take Price. Cap space is the most valuable thing in the NHL today and they would be pinning themselves on a gamble. I think they are going to try to call our bluff but ask to see if we want to send them a pick.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
They will try but their options are limited and it was Price himself who asked to do this - the players would understand that, too.

Look there's a long window for the players that matter.. if Price and Weber are gone.. there's no use to worrying about Gallagher or Petry's emotions because they will be long gone by the time we are competing again.. Gallagher likely traded or on LTIRetirement and Petry traded.

Not caring about the emotions of important, productive veterans seems like a plan on paper but is extremely dangerous in practice. If you want to have a desirable culture, a good reputation league-wide, you have to care. Hell, look at Columbus and their own culture crisis. Read about how previous players talked about Jarmo, about the sentiment of being treated as strictly dollar and cents in Aaron Portzline's Athletic essay. Dig how Seth Jones - who wants out - talked last offseason about Columbus needing to find out why guys don't want to go there. That shit just won't fly in the real world. It's a poor way to do business.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I hope during Wednesday nights expansion draft show that Seattle saves the very last pick in the draft for the player selected from the Habs to draw this drama out to the very last minute. Would keep people watching just for the suspense of will they or won't they pick Price. :)

And with the final pick in the expansion draft...from montreal.. you all know him...you all love him
We are PROUD to select...
Cale Fleury!!

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
No, it’s because we rely on him to a crazy extent. He just led us to the finals for Pete’s sake.

it's weird how quickly people forget...

This finals appearance has zero chance of happening without Price in nets. The roster is not built well, at all. Remove Price, and we're a non-playoff team with 10M$ to spend and a hole at #1G. Fill that hole with anything less than a talent like Price, and we're a non-playoff team with 4-6M$ to spend...

heck, we just endured 4-5 seasons of mediocrity WITH a talent like Price in nets... Going forward with 10.5 (or ~19M$ if weber is done) to spend gives us some flexibility, but teams aren't exactly offering up Vezina/Hart caliber talent... doubling down with another run of Toffoli/Anderson/Allen/Edmundson (~19M$ we added last summer) type additions to this group won't solve the Kucherov/Vasi/Point/Hedman caliber lack of talent we need to overcome to realistically win a cup.

Teams don't win on an abundance of depth alone, elite talent is required. Price was/is that, our problem was that he is the only player on the roster in the top 5-10 for his position. Suzuki (or Caufield and even less likely JKO/Romanov/Guhle) is years away from being in that caliber and we've got no one else even sniffing it.

We can rebuild around a core without Price... it'll just be a much longer and more difficult journey than some seem to appreciate.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not caring about the emotions of important, productive veterans seems like a plan on paper but is extremely dangerous in practice. If you want to have a desirable culture, a good reputation league-wide, you have to care. Hell, look at Columbus and their own culture crisis. Read about how previous players talked about Jarmo, about the sentiment of being treated as strictly dollar and cents in Aaron Portzline's Athletic essay. Dig how Seth Jones - who wants out - talked last offseason about Columbus needing to find out why guys don't want to go there. That shit just won't fly in the real world. It's a poor way to do business.

Again - there's nothing they can do about the Weber situation and it is good for culture when you honor the wishes of your best player, which is what he did for Carey Price.

Ultimately, if Gallagher or Petry don't like the direction they have to go in due to circumstances related to injuries to Price/Weber and the lack of other available and prudent options. You honor their anger and facilitate their trade out of the market.

As I said, it's all in the approach and it's only bad for the culture if you know Gallagher is upset, wants out and you refuse to move him. For the new core of the team, they are going to understand the process to build around them.

Reactions: covfefe

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would you send them a 2nd to take Drouin? If not, how about two 3rd's? I might consider two 3rd's or a 3rd and a 4th.

The minute they talk 1st and Price type narrative, I tell them I'm not interested. I'm only interested in finding out what it takes for Seattle to draft Drouin so we find a fresh start for Drouin. If they don't like the idea, tell them to make their selection and we are not sending them anything

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Yes guaranteed that Price remain a Habs.

Nice try getting rid of his contract, now time to LTIR everybody and go for another SC run.

If we are lucky they select Byron.

Litteraly no Internet buzz anymore around Byron aside from on this board.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
The moment of truth has arrived...does Francis want to commit $15M+ on goaltending and still be able to field a VGK type contending team?

Unless there’s ownership mandate forcing his hand, it’s clear hockey ops votes no Price

Not necessarily, the same $15m setup worked for Bergevin.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
nope. if we're sure Drouin is not retiring/going on LTIR, then either he suits up for us, or we trade him... paying assets AND losing him doesn't make much sense imo

Do we know of any other disgruntled players making similar money/term to Drouin to swap for?

That's the only way out besides LTIR, Kraken selecting or paying a shit load to get rid of him.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Again - there's nothing they can do about the Weber situation and it is good for culture when you honor the wishes of your best player, which is what he did for Carey Price.

Ultimately, if Gallagher or Petry don't like the direction they have to go in due to circumstances related to injuries to Price/Weber and the lack of other available and prudent options. You honor their anger and facilitate their trade out of the market.

As I said, it's all in the approach and it's only bad for the culture if you know Gallagher is upset, wants out and you refuse to move him. For the new core of the team, they are going to understand the process to build around them.

Weber's hockey skills are definitely replaceable. Won't talk about his effect in the room - not there, but it's obvious he's highly valued. I guess we'll just have to see. I'm certainly not advocating for the Habs tying themselves up to brutal contracts - who would? - but until I am shot I'll say that a conscious tank in this offseason is a disastrous undertaking and something that only makes sense on HF. The way you see NHL players holding unto things makes it so transparent that HF's always had it wrong regarding organizational culture.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
That is absurd, Petry is well into the list of top 30 d-man in the NHL. Get a grip.

Petry definitely is a legit top-pairing dman... top 15 likely...

but edmundson and Chiarot are both 4-5 dmen on a top-tier team, or riding shot-gun next to a top-5/10 #1 dman.

Edmundson-Petry as a pairing makes for a mediocre top-pairing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
nope. if we're sure Drouin is not retiring/going on LTIR, then either he suits up for us, or we trade him... paying assets AND losing him doesn't make much sense imo

Fair reply. I would consider two 3rd's or a 3rd and 4th for them to take Drouin cause I feel the Habs want to find him a new fresh start. A 3rd and 4th and $5.5M of freed up cap space is of value to me. If we keep him, we will be stuck to play him IMO. If we try to move him in another trade later one, we will have to consider a Ghost for Drouin flip cause that's the offers we will get.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
It's only an issue if you handle it with the subtlety of a baboon.
tenor.gif

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Weber's hockey skills are definitely replaceable. Won't talk about his effect in the room - not there, but it's obvious he's highly valued. I guess we'll just have to see. I'm certainly not advocating for the Habs tying themselves up to brutal contracts - who would? - but until I am shot I'll say that a conscious tank in this offseason is a disastrous undertaking and something that only makes sense on HF.

It's not a conscious tank until you lose your two 'best players'

Shea Weber is done because of injuries. That's not tanking. That's life.
If Price is gone because of injuries, a self-imposed waive and exposure.. that's the business.

At that point, yes, you try to do what you can to replicate their impact but the players in the room know they aren't going to get another Price or Shea Weber. Plus with the reality of the market, and the absence of those two players, drawing in extra players will be a tough task.

Now sure you could look at trades, but the job of the GM is to build a team and if you suddenly lost the two of your veteran players, for which your entire plan was BUILT around, you have to make a complete shift in direction and philosophy.

That's just the business and it happens a lot, it's happened to them before. They went from a perennial play-off team to basement dwellers.. and they lost Markov, Plekanec, etc. in the process due to age and trading them.. yet the team survived, the players survived and a few years later they had a miraculous run.

You're thinking too much.

Reactions: Pickles and Redux91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->