HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 Part 5: The Exposed List edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'd assume that rebuilding would be disastrous in the actual room and would cause a ton of malcontents, especially for the Petry and Gallagher types. If Montreal has a bad year organically, that's one thing, but Bergevin not trying to replace/upgrade any key loss this offseason would, I think, rightfully be perceived as a slap in the face by the actual players. Morale would sink because that'd be a loser move after going to the SCF.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It is only because the identity of this organization has been entirely wrapped into Carey Price for the last decade.

well and the Weber trade in the last 5 years.

if Bergy loses his two men.. he's got no choice but to pick the appropriate option and I couldn't be more glad if we luck out to have this happen.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I read an AGENT saying there's an UNPRECEDENTED number of players available to be moved....

stay tuned

...let's hope, but if Webs & Price are gone, we'd be better off taking on bad contracts for picks and playing the Rebuild game for a couple years, imo...build up the picks & prospect pool even more and come out banging hard on the door in a few years...

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

Epic.gif
notworthy.gif

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
I hope during Wednesday nights expansion draft show that Seattle saves the very last pick in the draft for the player selected from the Habs to draw this drama out to the very last minute. Would keep people watching just for the suspense of will they or won't they pick Price. :)

Sadly, 4 years ago, the list was leaked before the draft.

Reactions: sheed36

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
well and the Weber trade in the last 5 years.

if Bergy loses his two men.. he's got no choice but to pick the appropriate option and I couldn't be more glad if we luck out to have this happen.

If it's a potential option when we look at it strictly on paper, but if you think about it on a human and organizational level, I don't see how willfully doing this doesn't cause a major blow to morale and organizational culture. I'd imagine a lot of bitching/potential trade requests internally if that happens. Hell, look at how Petry still seemed bitter about the culture in Edmonton 6 years after leaving!

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
...let's hope, but if Webs & Price are gone, we'd be better off taking on bad contracts for picks and playing the Rebuild game for a couple years, imo...build up the picks & prospect pool even more and come out banging hard on the door in a few years...

this comes from twitter

Had a prominent agent tell me he’s never seen this many players available for potential trades. With every team

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If it's a potential option when we look at it strictly on paper, but if you think about it on a human and organizational level, I don't see how willfully doing this doesn't cause a major blow to morale and organizational culture. I'd imagine a lot of bitching/potential trade requests internally if that happens. Hell, look at how Petry still seemed bitter about the culture in Edmonton 6 years after leaving!

It's only an issue if you handle it with the subtlety of a baboon.

If your captain and "top defenseman" has a career ending injury. You can't just replace that guy easily and what are players going to say, you should have signed Hamilton or traded for Seth Jones then? Well those guys don't want to sign to play in Montreal, so you can't force anyone to come here.

If your goalie is injured and is going to have season ending surgery, comes to you and says, expose me, I'll waive and the gamble doesn't pay off. What else can you do? You can go get another goalie, but everyone in that room knows that you're not replacing Carey Price.

I'm sure they would be honest with Petry and Gallagher, if they want out, they will want out and we will facilitate that. A lot of the other players are young, hungry and will relish the opportunity to establish themselves and get better.

But even then, we are talking about the rebuild the same way that it has been done for years here. They don't plan on losing, they're just not good enough and lose -anyway-. They won't throw in the towel on the team, but when they are out of the play-off picture coming to the deadline, MB will do what he always does and trade the players who aren't going to be part of the core going forward.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Exactly how I feel. They're okay with Price being taken.

Absolutely - you don't make this gambit if you aren't comfortable with the consequences.

I'm sure they had a discussion and Price acknowledged to Marc that he wants to stay and have this work, but if not, being closer to their family would be an acceptable alternative.

I also don't think this doesn't happen without the Weber news. There's probably an understanding in that room that things are largely different going into next year, even if they just had the cup finals run.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It's only an issue if you handle it with the subtlety of a baboon.

If your captain and "top defenseman" has a career ending injury. You can't just replace that guy easily and what are players going to say, you should have signed Hamilton or traded for Seth Jones then? Well those guys don't want to sign to play in Montreal, so you can't force anyone to come here.

If your goalie is injured and is going to have season ending surgery, comes to you and says, expose me, I'll waive and the gamble doesn't pay off. What else can you do? You can go get another goalie, but everyone in that room knows that you're not replacing Carey Price.

I'm sure they would be honest with Petry and Gallagher, if they want out, they will want out and we will facilitate that. A lot of the other players are young, hungry and will relish the opportunity to establish themselves and get better.

But even then, we are talking about the rebuild the same way that it has been done for years here. They don't plan on losing, they're just not good enough and lose -anyway-. They won't throw in the towel on the team, but when they are out of the play-off picture coming to the deadline, MB will do what he always does and trade the players who aren't going to be part of the core going forward.

Well, I'm sure players talk/follow the press/league happenings, so I don't think it would be lost on the players what the plan is in Montreal and what they will have attempted on the offseason. At any rate, not making an attempt to replace key cogs - the only one that could remotely make sense if hoping Evans replaces Danault but that's a long shot - is a disaster waiting to happen. If they try, can't make it happen and lose, that's one thing, but actively choosing that option will, I assume, impossible not to be noticed by the members of the team (player or not) and cause discontent. Shit, I'm not even as competitive as an NHL player and if I close my eyes for two seconds I can already see myself lose my shit in that scenario.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Well, I'm sure players talk/follow the press/league happenings, so I don't think it would be lost on the players what the plan is in Montreal and they will have attempted on the offseason. At any rate, not making an attempt to replace key cogs - the only one that could remotely make sense if hoping Evans replaces Danault but that's a long shot - is a disaster waiting to happen. If they try, can't make it happen and lose, that's one thing, but actively choosing that option will, I assume, impossible not to be noticed by the members of the team (player or not) and cause discontent. Shit, I'm not even as competitive as an NHL player and if I close my eyes for two seconds I can already see myself lose my shit in that scenario.

They will try but their options are limited and it was Price himself who asked to do this - the players would understand that, too.

Look there's a long window for the players that matter.. if Price and Weber are gone.. there's no use to worrying about Gallagher or Petry's emotions because they will be long gone by the time we are competing again.. Gallagher likely traded or on LTIRetirement and Petry traded.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
In no way am i saying he beat sPrice win record in Montreal..lol or become at 10.5 million goalie.

McNiven has 71 AHL games under his belt,it time for a dance.

He can come in as a back up , and i think he will surprise bigtime...i do believe he can be a 1A in the NHL.

I don't see what you see, either by the stats or by the times I watched him in Laval. I still like him, but he is definitely not NHL ready to me.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
As soon as Price is not selected, news leaked that Price has made a miraculous recovery, will be 100% for the start of the season.

I doubt that.

Angela Price tweet was about the injury/surgery to Carey.

Carey doesn't approach and ask to waive if he knows they won't need Allen's services for the bulk of next season.

He's definitely missing a chunk of time next season.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
The D looked OK in the playoff run. Not built for offense, transition, or the regular season but it was effective at preventing goals. A good PMD would help, but then a good, physical PMD is something most teams won't let walk. Trading McDonagh and Sergachev for a season or two of older players is bad and has not been fixed.

Romanov's numbers in the playoffs were weak. We'd need some growth for him to hit the top 4. I expect MB will sign some bottom pairing guys and see how some of the prospects do.

This season will depend on MB's upcoming shopping spree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->