Exhibition- USA v.s Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I believe usahockey.com's audiocasts begin with the actual tournament. This is just an exhibition game so I wasn't expecting them to have it available.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
velema said:

Thanks for the info. Looks like the first goal was scored by Parise from Murray and Werner. Werner is a guy under alot of people's radar, but is highly skilled. The U.S. should have three great scoring lines. O'Sullivan with Eaves is going to be dynamic.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Rabid Ranger said:
Thanks for the info. Looks like the first goal was scored by Parise from Murray and Werner. Werner is a guy under alot of people's radar, but is highly skilled. The U.S. should have three great scoring lines. O'Sullivan with Eaves is going to be dynamic.

Yep...I really like your team...(Although I would have felt better if Jimmy Howard was in net for you.)

Russia, Canada, USA....neck and neck...should be a great tourney.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
slats432 said:
Yep...I really like your team...(Although I would have felt better if Jimmy Howard was in net for you.)

Russia, Canada, USA....neck and neck...should be a great tourney.

I would have felt better with Howard as well, mainly because he would have been more seasoned, but Montoya has the ability.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
slats432 said:
I must admit, I am a bit shocked but it is exhibition.

I wonder if the last goal was an empty netter? Anyway, the Finns capitalized on their power plays, which is key in this tourney. I hope the U.S. learns from this and stays out of the box.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Zherdev said:
Looks like USA took some costly penalties, and only 15 shots on net?

Not really a surprise given the fact they were killing so many penalties(nine it would appear). It looks like Vicari took the brunt of the damage, reinforcing Montoya as the starter (I would guess).

chicpea*

wow. the USA took a lot of penalties.

Last edited by a moderator:

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
chicpea said:
wow. the USA took a lot of penalties.

From the way I read it, the U.S. took 18 minutes in penalties compared to the 12 minutes taken by the Finns. A somewhat high number but nothing extraordinary.

This is only an exhibition but it seems to me that the Finns schooled us pretty well.

I hope this team isn't buying into the hype around them because this is going to be a tough tournament with a number of good teams able to win the whole thing, and that of course includes Finland.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Zherdev said:
Looks like USA took some costly penalties, and only 15 shots on net?

Shots on Finnish goal by team in warm-up games:
Austria - 10
Switzerland - 9
USA - 15

I'd like to bring to your attention what I believe will be the underestimation of the tournament:
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=6522&mode=threaded&order=0

"The bad news for Finland is that they bolster defensive and offensive units that on paper don’t stack up very well against the Russians, Canada, the Czechs or the Americans. The defense is made up of all 19-year-olds, however none of these seven have been top 100 selections in the NHL entry draft and only three have been drafted in total. Mikko Kalteva was an Avalanche fourth rounder while Kevin Kantee and Oskari Korpikari were both late round selections by Chicago and Montreal respectively. Janne Jalasvaara was expected to be drafted in last year’s entry draft but ended up going undrafted. "

That defence, has complately snuffed out the offense of everyone it's faced thus far. And I'm wagering that it will surprise everybody and be one the strenghts of Team Finland U20 as it goes all the way to the Final..

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Rabid Ranger said:
It looks like Vicari took the brunt of the damage, reinforcing Montoya as the starter (I would guess).

Apparently this switch had been agreed before the game, so it wasn't performance related.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Raimo Sillanpää said:
Austria - 10
Switzerland - 9
USA - 15

I'd like to bring to your attention what I believe will be the underestimation of the tournament:

"The bad news for Finland is that they bolster defensive and offensive units that on paper don’t stack up very well against the Russians, Canada, the Czechs or the Americans. The defense is made up of all 19-year-olds, however none of these seven have been top 100 selections in the NHL entry draft and only three have been drafted in total. Mikko Kalteva was an Avalanche fourth rounder while Kevin Kantee and Oskari Korpikari were both late round selections by Chicago and Montreal respectively. Janne Jalasvaara was expected to be drafted in last year’s entry draft but ended up going undrafted. "

That defence, has complately snuffed out the offense of everyone it's faced thus far. And I'm wagering that it will surprise everybody and be one the strenghts of Team Finland U20 as it goes all the way to the Final..

If I were Finland the only game that would matter in the assessment would be the US game. Holding down the offenses of Austria and Switzerland is no great achievement by any means. Just as the Canadians probably should have been more dominant of Sweden. I don't think that anyone cares what happens against Austria because it isn't a measuring stick.

Great performance by the Finns...but the stiffer competition is yet to come.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Raimo Sillanpää said:
Austria - 10
Switzerland - 9
USA - 15

The games between Austria and Switzerland don't mean anything. Switzerland is a solid squad but they won't challenge for a medal. Austria is not a good team they will get regulated. As for the American game it's only one game and it was an exhibition game.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
canucksfan said:
The games between Austria and Switzerland don't mean anything. Switzerland is a solid squad but they won't challenge for a medal. Austria is not a good team they will get regulated. As for the American game it's only one game and it was an exhibition game.

I meant that, this is an indication, and the lack of "names" actually shows how many of them , or how many of them will (imho), be/already represent late round "steals". And that many of them are underestimated, and underestimation is always hazardous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->