GDT: Exhibition game - Canada Vs Russia

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The very reason I am going to watch is because we might not meet in the tournament and it is a classic. May the best team win. Cheers!

Here’s to hoping we’ll meet again for Gold. Go finish 1st in your group.

Cheers to you as well brother. I’m interested to see how you guys play under Larionov as his coaching style will be different than Bragin’s approach. Should be an exciting game as always when our countries meet on the ice.

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
How long has it been since WHL and OHL players played a full game? I know the Q league hit the ice for a bit..

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
How long has it been since WHL and OHL players played a full game? I know the Q league hit the ice for a bit..
This could be a major factor in favor of Russia in this tournament. Russian players are basically all in peak mid-season shape.

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020
pfft we've all played scrimmages before... Not the same thing. Russians will be primed and ready to go with 10+ KHL players.

I expect Canada won’t look great this game due to lack of game action. They’re lucky that the group is so weak, they’ll still win the group while shaking off the rust, and they’ll be ready to compete once the elimination games start

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I haven't seen any comments on this board regarding Heinola's opening shift last night.

That hit from behind was as dangerous as they come. He was very lucky to come out of it unscathed.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Looking forward to watching Flames draft picks Connor Zary and Jakob Pelletier for Canada and Yan Kuznetsov for Russia.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Habidelidoo

Aug 3, 2005
Wow, just realised that the two groups are totally unbalanced. Canada's schedule is boring. Pardon my ignorance but who came up with the divisions ?

EDIT: I guess it comes mathematically from last year results, but damn, would have hoped for some better opposition in round #1 (one of US, RUS, SWE)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Starting at 9:30 eastern probably not best for TV. Plus all 4 of Canada's round robin games start at this time.

I see what you're saying, but isn't 6:00 PM not convenient either? I guess it might matter less this year, so maybe it is a lot more convenient this year. Wouldn't it make sense to give the home time zone their preferred slot instead of what's best for the East Coast?

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I see what you're saying, but isn't 6:00 PM not convenient either? I guess it might matter less this year, so maybe it is a lot more convenient this year. Wouldn't it make sense to give the home time zone their preferred slot instead of what's best for the East Coast?

Maybe 6PM is Team Canada's preferred slot.

It certainly will be for TSN.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Wow, just realised that the two groups are totally unbalanced. Canada's schedule is boring. Pardon my ignorance but who came up with the divisions ?

EDIT: I guess it comes mathematically from last year results, but damn, would have hoped for some better opposition in round #1 (one of US, RUS, SWE)

Canada has been in some tough divisions before.

Sure this is easier through the round robin, but when the elimination games start whoever wins the B division will likely have a cakewalk to the gold game. (As much as you can have one in this tournament).
Canada will probably have to play two of Sweden/US/Russia to win gold once eliminations hit. It's a choose your poison thing when theres a weak division...easier round robin or easier playoff.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I haven't seen any comments on this board regarding Heinola's opening shift last night.

That hit from behind was as dangerous as they come. He was very lucky to come out of it unscathed.
I believe i was one of the few to comment...That penalty would have been 5 and a game if Heinola stays on the ice. Very very dangerous play. There was also one by Lundell on Zegras..not as dangerous but was still a bit of a shove in the danger zone.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Canada has been in some tough divisions before.

Sure this is easier through the round robin, but when the elimination games start whoever wins the B division will likely have a cakewalk to the gold game. (As much as you can have one in this tournament).
Canada will probably have to play two of Sweden/US/Russia to win gold once eliminations hit. It's a choose your poison thing when theres a weak division...easier round robin or easier playoff.
A little tidbit that I came across that few others seem to be talking about is that the WJC is reseeding its playoff round this year. If you finish with the best record in the prelim round, you’ll face the lowest remaining seed the rest of the way. That’s a potentially huge change!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Russia has the edge over every team in goal. US is solid too in net. Canada, not so sure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad