Post-Game Talk: Exhibition: Caps vs Canes | Wed, 7/29/20 | 4:00p ET | NBSCN/NBCSW

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Hockey's back. Feels good.

Vanecek will be the backup and will play the third period. Gudas and Boyd are the healthy scratches. Projected lines from NBCSW:

Alex Ovechkin - Evgeny Kuznetsov - Tom Wilson
Jakub Vrana - Nicklas Backstrom - T.J. Oshie
Carl Hagelin - Lars Eller - Ilya Kovalchuk
Richard Panik - Nic Dowd - Garnet Hathaway

Michal Kempny - John Carlson
Brenden Dillon - Dmitry Orlov
Jonas Siegenthaler - Nick Jensen

Braden Holtby
Vitek Vanecek

tenor.gif

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Based on yesterday’s games I’d expect the intensity to be at the level of a regular season game which should be good for the team.

I’ll be looking at Kuznetsov, Kempny, Jensen, and the power play in particular today. Kuznetsov needs to be motivated for them to succeed. Kempny returning to form and Jensen continuing where he left off would make for a deep blueline unlike last postseason. And the power play really needed a reset so hopefully the execution is there going into the postseason.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Based on yesterday’s games I’d expect the intensity to be at the level of a regular season game which should be good for the team.

I’ll be looking at Kuznetsov, Kempny, Jensen, and the power play in particular today. Kuznetsov needs to be motivated for them to succeed. Kempny returning to form and Jensen continuing where he left off would make for a deep blueline unlike last postseason. And the power play really needed a reset so hopefully the execution is there going into the postseason.

Jensen is the most important of the 3. They really dont have a plan B there. I think 2018 Kuzy is a thing of the past and I certainly wouldnt expect to see that in a game that doesnt count.

You can make a fair case that if they have put any new wrinkles into the PP you wont see them today or in the round robin. If i was looking for something on the PP it would be for Carlson to become the primary shooter. Pks are prioritizing taking Ov away and the best way to beat that is for Carlson to shoot it a lot. I expect we will see Backstrom and Kuznetsov attacking the net themselves as PKs are giving that to them but dont expect to see that til the games count.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Doubtful. They need Khudobin type to be 1b goalie, not another unknown quantity.

Why? The 1B goalies isnt a legit cup caliber goalie. The Caps are going to go where Samsonov takes them. A back up that can carry a solid back up goalie load is probably the way to go. My view is that Samsonov isnt ready and that next season is flushed regardless.

Jun 15, 2007

Gudas is the 7th D? Eh....not sure how I feel about that.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia

Gudas is the 7th D? Eh....not sure how I feel about that.

Gudas didn’t really impress me this past year tbh. I was hoping for more after many posters from HF were claiming he played better than Niskanen last year. He didn’t bring the physicality I was hoping for. Hathaway brought more of that

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Gudas didn’t really impress me this past year tbh. I was hoping for more after many posters from HF were claiming he played better than Niskanen last year. He didn’t bring the physicality I was hoping for. Hathaway brought more of that

I don't know if people thought Gudas was an upgrade over Niskanen. It was more that Gudas was an expiring contract with only 1 year left to get out from under Niskanen's contract. Which actually seems like really good foresight now with a flat cap.

Anything that Gudas provided (which turns out wasn't much) was just an added bonus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->