Exhibition: Aug 25 GDT - USA vs. Canada (1-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
roast said:
Richards, Lemieux, and St.Louis were not dressed and they do account for quite a bit, however that team was still pretty star-studded.

Sure it was still pretty star-studded but you think Thornton has ever played with Heatley? Or Marleau? These guys dont know each other yet. And on paper Canada still should beat the USA without those three guys but hey its only exhibition. If Canada wins 6-1 tonight I wont be saying I told you so. Still, a score like that is a better indication of how this team should do.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Big Phil said:
Sure it was still pretty star-studded but you think Thornton has ever played with Heatley? Or Marleau? These guys dont know each other yet. And on paper Canada still should beat the USA without those three guys but hey its only exhibition. If Canada wins 6-1 tonight I wont be saying I told you so. Still, a score like that is a better indication of how this team should do.

I have to repeat...

you're acting like the USA's team is some sort of inferior joke, when with a few exceptions, it reads like an all-star team. Guys like Leetch, Hull and Chelios may be old...but they definitely weren't playing like they were old, the other night...and factor in that the US's BACKUP goalie pitched a shutout...well, you shouldn't write off the other night as some freak occurance. It can and might happen again.

Vic Rattlehead*

Big Phil said:
The Thornton-Heatley combination sounded great in the last game(I had to listen to it on the radio) but Quinn had to change all the lines except one.

EDIT---- The Morrow-Thornton-Doan line will probably be tonight's checking line, but does anyone think that the Doan-Thornton-Heatley unit on the powerplay stays considering they were the three players who generated Canada's only goal?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vic Rattlehead*

nomorekids said:
I have to repeat...

you're acting like the USA's team is some sort of inferior joke, when with a few exceptions, it reads like an all-star team. Guys like Leetch, Hull and Chelios may be old...but they definitely weren't playing like they were old, the other night...and factor in that the US's BACKUP goalie pitched a shutout...well, you shouldn't write off the other night as some freak occurance. It can and might happen again.
At the 2006 Olympics, that BACKUP will probably be your starter. How about our starter shutting the states out when he was in there? ;)

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
19bruins19 said:
At the 2006 Olympics, that BACKUP will probably be your starter. How about our starter shutting the states out when he was in there? ;)

i'm not knocking the fact that brodeur wasn't in, but the pressure was on even when he was in the game. i'm just getting tired of reading "oh, the US got lucky, we didn't have this line dressed, this goalie wasn't in, blah blah blah" and then..the second someone defends Team USA or *GASP* makes a disparaging comment about Team Canada, I get 589745 PMs from people demanding that the offender be banned. Team USA won the game fair and square, so let's move on..and focus on tonight's game, rather than making excuses\gloating about the one that's passed.

Vic Rattlehead*

nomorekids said:
i'm not knocking the fact that brodeur wasn't in, but the pressure was on even when he was in the game. i'm just getting tired of reading "oh, the US got lucky, we didn't have this line dressed, this goalie wasn't in, blah blah blah" and then..the second someone defends Team USA or *GASP* makes a disparaging comment about Team Canada, I get 589745 PMs from people demanding that the offender be banned. Team USA won the game fair and square, so let's move on..and focus on tonight's game, rather than making excuses\gloating about the one that's passed.
Sure, I was just saying that Dipietro is a Very good goalie and should be your stater instead of Esche (Ducks from USA fans! )

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
nomorekids said:

Thanks for not banning me.... :bow: :joker: ;)

dw2927

Feb 13, 2004
Paavola, Mich.
There is no doubt in my mind that USA v. Canada has become the premier rivalry in international hockey, due to the fading memories of great USSR/Russia v. Canada clashes and the current abysmal state of the Russian hockey union...

if recent important and or tight games are used as a measure it would win on that alone, but add in the off-ice jawing and this approaches a new level.

that being said, the energy/mild panic in Ottawa pushes Canada to a two goal win, 4-2.

BeerTuzzi

Nov 27, 2003
The Canadians got spanked last game fair and square. They looked awful and that's all there is to it. If they play even close to as bad as Monday the score will be 6-1 USA without Marty in net. My formal prediction is 3-1 USA

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Again, It is exhibition, USA can win by 40 goals and it don't matter. Last time we had a real game Canada won 5-2 vs a younger & better team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canada- 4

USA - 1

But until Tuesday, this game don't mean S$&T !

Feb 24, 2004
BeerTuzzi said:
The Canadians got spanked last game fair and square. They looked awful and that's all there is to it. If they play even close to as bad as Monday the score will be 6-1 USA without Marty in net. My formal prediction is 3-1 USA

Did you watch the game? Cause I did. And Canada was dominating in the first. They looked bad the rest of the way. Awful is a strong word.

BeerTuzzi

Nov 27, 2003
There was promise in the first, you are right about that, but in all honesty the americans took over the second and third. What worries me is not the lack of offensive chemistry (that will come) but the lack of experience on the blueline which was obvious on Mondays game. Skill will only get a team so far. From what I saw on Monday the blue line is lacking that punishing, physical, gritty work ethic which makes most Canadian teams successful. The youngsters will need to develope a hate for their opponents if they want to be successful. They will need to hit hard, very hard, and play a more old-school Canadian brand with less dependence on skill (even though there is plenty of it on that team) and more on toughness and hardwork.

Revised prediction 4 - 2 Americans

Freezerburn

Mar 20, 2003
This is just a question that has probably been asked before, so I am sorry for re-hashing it.

Would I be correct in assuming that this game will not be televised again? I know you can get radio feeds over the net, but I was just wondering if it would garner television coverage because the game is in Ottawa.

Freezerburn

Mar 20, 2003
sandman441 said:
if you are in canada you can get it through leaftv? I think

Bah, I didn't/don't/won't waste money on that channel.

Oh well I'll just wait until the actual tournament games start, but I am starting to go through withdrawal without hockey. :D

sandman441

Jan 25, 2003
ALASKA
I am in alaska so I don't even have the option of getting leafs tv which I would probably get for a month just for the games. But I guess ESPN is gonna show most of the US games

joe_shannon_1983*

I predict a 3-2 Canadian win.

But if Canada does not win, and if Canada lost a 2nd straight game to the U.S.A., imagine the panic that would be coming out of Canada?

I am a Canadian, but even I admit it would be entertaining going to a website such as TSN, and hearing people talk like the apocalypse is upon us.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
jcs_1983_shannonman said:
I predict a 3-2 Canadian win.

But if Canada does not win, and if Canada lost a 2nd straight game to the U.S.A., imagine the panic that would be coming out of Canada?

I am a Canadian, but even I admit it would be entertaining going to a website such as TSN, and hearing people talk like the apocalypse is upon us.

lol, tell me about it. i can hear it now

"the system needs to be totally revamped, right down to tyke hockey. we should be taking these kids away from their families at age 6...etc, etc"

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Is anyone listing to the pre-game show?

Who is this Pejorative Slur saying all the Americans are here because of their reputation

"Tkachuk had an awful year"

WFT is this guy smoking

Didnt he score over 30 goals?

get him off the air

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Big Phil said:
Even tonight I think Canada will win but they wont stomp the USA the way they will in the round robin games. Also remember that we were playing possum hockey the other night. All of our best stars werent even dressed.

Overconfident much? :shakehead And arent some people calling Jarome Iginla THE best player in the world? Arent Joe Sakic and Joe Thornton top 10 players in this league? Didnt Scott Niedermayer win the norris as the best d-man in the NHL? Nope you guys didnt have your best players out there......

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
sharkyz15 said:
Is anyone listing to the pre-game show?

Who is this Pejorative Slur saying all the Americans are here because of their reputation

"Tkachuk had an awful year"

WFT is this guy smoking

Didnt he score over 30 goals?

get him off the air

He had roughly the same, or better, point per game average as Thornton, Iginla, Doan, Smyth, and so on.

He's a stud.

Nazzy-19

Mar 3, 2004
Vancouver
Homer Simpson just gave some wise words over the radio.

"It's not whether you win or lose. It's how drunk you get."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->